Skip to main content

Topic: Macs Cold Air (Read 2914 times)

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Macs Cold Air
Since the other thread this was getting discussed was actually on an injector swap, thought I would start a new one.  Greg shared his experience of 3mpg gain using this cold air intake:
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/15-rof-fleamarket/88330-mcai-kits-sale.html
Any others with experience on this kit?  Also how hard is the install?  Any other insights?  That MPG increase would pay for itself in less than 6 months for me.

John
Je Suis Prest!  Semper Fi...

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: Macs Cold Air
Reply #1

Since the other thread this was getting discussed was actually on an injector swap, thought I would start a new one.  Greg shared his experience of 3mpg gain using this cold air intake:
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/15-rof-fleamarket/88330-mcai-kits-sale.html
Any others with experience on this kit?  Also how hard is the install?  Any other insights?  That MPG increase would pay for itself in less than 6 months for me.

John

Its not too bad to install , but I think you could get similar results from the Windstar  mod. The directions said it would take 50 cold start cycles to start seeing major gains and that was accurate from my experience. The only tough part of the job is getting the hole saw to go through the cowl.

• Eugene
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
I like how the MCAi filters cabin air and the small details he addresses with his set up. Like the cowl vent wick, or advise on how to eliminate intake noise in the cab and sealing of the cowl. I like the filter in the engine compartment with the Windstar vs the MCAi setup.
If I go this route I would try and work them together.
If Plan "A" didn't work.
The alphabet has 25 more letters!

Don't Worry

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #3

I like how the MCAi filters cabin air and the small details he addresses with his set up. Like the cowl vent wick, or advise on how to eliminate intake noise in the cab and sealing of the cowl. I like the filter in the engine compartment with the Windstar vs the MCAi setup.
If I go this route I would try and work them together.
A Mac/Star would be ideal.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I am in it primarily for the potential increase in gas mileage.  I put about 20k miles per year on mine and so even a 1mpg improvement will be worth it in the long run.  I saw Greg's MPG improvement, then also saw reviews on ROF where improvement was all either 1 or 2+ MPG.

Si I emailed Mac and he has me on the list as he gathers parts to get another set ready to go.... (shhh.... don't tell Ann)

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5

I am in it primarily for the potential increase in gas mileage.  I put about 20k miles per year on mine and so even a 1mpg improvement will be worth it in the long run.  I saw Greg's MPG improvement, then also saw reviews on ROF where improvement was all either 1 or 2+ MPG.

Si I emailed Mac and he has me on the list as he gathers parts to get another set ready to go.... (shhh.... don't tell Ann)
Its a very well thought out kit , I think you will be happy with it.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
It's on the way.  Hoping to see it when I return from my trip.

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I did the windstar box. And I am definitely not seeing +3mpgs. Maybe .5?
I do feel better about my intake being higher and out of the engine bay. I did mine fairly cheap and easy... About $70.00 into it. 

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #8

I did the windstar box. And I am definitely not seeing +3mpgs. Maybe .5?
I do feel better about my intake being higher and out of the engine bay. I did mine fairly cheap and easy... About $70.00 into it.
I still see the gain , and they are really similar conversions.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Installed my Macs CAI today.  Install was long but not hard.  Instructions were awesome.  First test drive reveals a cool hot rod sound :-) and judging by the seat of my pants and the cackle from little Joe... it has the same effect on acceleration as the bandana on the 77 Datsun pick up I drove in high school :-).  Main goals were to improve gas mileage and potentially lower/control engine operating temps.  I will report back as time goes by.

John

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #11

Installed my Macs CAI today.  Install was long but not hard.  Instructions were awesome.  First test drive reveals a cool hot rod sound :-) and judging by the seat of my pants and the cackle from little Joe... it has the same effect on acceleration as the bandana on the 77 Datsun pick up I drove in high school :-).  Main goals were to improve gas mileage and potentially lower/control engine operating temps.  I will report back as time goes by.

John

I found my side scoop made more difference in dropping underhood temps than anything else. The mileage will take a while before it comes around . Mac told me it would take 50 cold starts to start seeing the improvement.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Yep, 50 cold start tp operating temp.  Jeep is my primary driver, so it should be about a month.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #13

Yep, 50 cold start tp operating temp.  Jeep is my primary driver, so it should be about a month.
Kimbo tracked the mpgs on ours for over a month of Western driving and the more it crept up the more detailed notes we took.

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14

Kimbo tracked the mpgs on ours for over a month of Western driving and the more it crept up the more detailed notes we took.

Does Western= faster??