Skip to main content

Topic: Macs Cold Air (Read 2969 times)

Re: Macs Cold Air
Reply #30
Thought I would take a minute to update and report on MCAI now that I have had it for a while. As a reminder I have a 2005 Rubi LJ. Near stock, 2.5" lift, still on 31's bumpers and winch and some other doo dads. Here is what my observations are so far. Over riding impression is that the MCAI likes to be pushed a bit and that is where we see measurable results.

1) Daily driving - I commute 17 miles each way, mostly rural 2 lane. I see negligible improvement in mpg. I am running a consistent 14.5, about the same as before install. I do notice a pick up in acceleration in particular from a roll on standpoint, such as when changing lanes. Noise is an irritant to wife, even though we are in a soft top jeep, it is noticabl under hard acceleration.

2) Highway driving - I have had several trips since the install. I have hit as high as 17.9 mpg. This is higher than the 16 high before install. Noise not an issue at highway speeds. We kept a steady 57-60mph in 5th gear, running about 2750RPM.

3) Towing - We tow a 2005 Rockwood pop up. Runs about 1600# when loaded. On our first trip with MCAI we hit a high of 14.5mpg for a tank on the interstate and 12.2 on mountain roads in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. Some serious multiple mile climbs, down to 3rd gear and 35mph. I am quite happy with the increase in mpg under towing conditions, as we used to hit a steady 12.0 mpg.

4) Engine temp - We did not have a single issue with engine temp. We have in the past when towing. Since then I have added the MCAI and the genright hood vents.

All in all I am pleased. It will take a long time to pay for itself but in the end I like the unit, it makes sense to me to feed the jeep true "cold air" and hell, it is done so I am good with it.

John
Je Suis Prest!  Semper Fi...

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #31
I think the side intake may be quieter, but I need time to finish it first. Your low speed mpg's should have come up some?

• Srfnfly227
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
An update that Mac put up on ROF:

I transferred ownership 2 months ago.....
not sure what new owners plans are, I noticed the website is down
Sorry I'm prevented from giving more info 

:(

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33

That sucks. Hopefully he got what he needed out of it. 
Can't fix stoopid!

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #34

I had heard rumor that he was getting out of it.

That sucks. Hopefully he got what he needed out of it.
One can hope.

Reply #35
Well... I am done with the MCAI...
Last night went ahead and removed the Macs Cold Air Intake and replaced it with the stock unit. I have had good results with MPG (avg. 15.2, better by 1mpg) and seat of the pants power improvement. However, I am not sure it is worth the in cab noise (OK when by myself, but when with family it is irritating in the already loud soft top jeep) and by far the most important reason is that when in a heavy downpour, such as we get in the southeast in the summer, I get some bogging from water finding it's way into the intake. I have experimented as much as I can with the screening in the cowl drain and still wind up with this situation every few months. When this happened on our recent trip back from the NC mountains, it was enough for me to pull over under a gas station shelter and wait it out... not something I like to do or am very good at. In the end, I drive the jeep to be able to go where I want, when I want and here I am stopped by a heavy downpour.... bye bye MCAI.
I have a replacement cowl on order so I can take the exterior back to stock as well.

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
Interesting. I have the windstar box on mine and it isn't too loud.
Can't fix stoopid!

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #37
I can attest to the fact that it is louder, but I haven't had any issues with water logging.

• jjvw
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
Interesting. I have the windstar box on mine and it isn't too loud.

x2. My Windstar is as quiet as stock. I rarely hear it.

FWIW, I'm more than 2 years into daily driving with my Windstar. 33's, 4.10, 4.0, 5 speed. Average MPG is 13-16mpg. I've hit 18mpg twice on long highway drives. My speedo is accurate. I have no idea if the Windstar is adding anything to my mileage or performance. So many other factors contribute to my MPG.
2003 Rubicon

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41
x2. My Windstar is as quiet as stock. I rarely hear it.

FWIW, I'm more than 2 years into daily driving with my Windstar. 33's, 4.10, 4.0, 5 speed. Average MPG is 13-16mpg. I've hit 18mpg twice on long highway drives. My speedo is accurate. I have no idea if the Windstar is adding anything to my mileage or performance. So many other factors contribute to my MPG.
I was bored and wanted to try some cheaper mods... It looks cool when you open the hood😎 I'm in your same boat though that I have way too many mods to notice any difference. It seemed to add some oomf when I first installed it though.
Can't fix stoopid!

Reply #44
Are you planning on selling that Macs?
Sure.  I have to wait for my new cowl to arrive and then I can take the rest of the MACS off.  IT is backordered right now and shoul dbe here in a week or so.  Shoot me a PM with an offer.  It was $235 new.  You will need to purchase some weather stripping for around your cowl areas, but other than that should have all you need.