Skip to main content

Topic: WK Overland Chase Truck for the 4550 Race Jeep (Read 2030 times)

• REDLYNER
  • [*][*]
  • Mall Crawling Race Car
WK Overland Chase Truck for the 4550 Race Jeep
I picked up a 2008 WK Overland with the thoughts that it would be a pretty good chase truck for my regional races in the TJ. By chase truck, I needed something that could get to me on a race track with spare parts (spare parts? What are those?  ;) ), or spare fuel. It also would cruise around the offroad parks behind me with my wife and son.

This rig will have to be streetable because it will also be my "inlaw truck"- IE the vehicle I take to Atlanta and back Charlotte monthly to visit my wife's parents. The WK Overland is a great base package with an improved Quadratrac II 4wd system and the 330hp and 375ft/tq doesn't hurt either. So the plan was to lift it 2", slap some 32"s under it, and stuff a winch behind the bumper. Later on I'll improve the shocks, add lights, and possibly some more storage with a rack or two.

Here it is stock:

I went with a Roughly Country 2" budget lift

Decided to hit the calipers while I had everything apart-

Reached out to my good friends at Raceline... No chase truck is complete with out 20"s-

I ran some JK 32x9.5"s for a bit, then swapped to a much wider 32x11.5. Not a full blown A/T, but should be adequate.

Wheels and tires on-

Then the winch project. Lots of prep went into it, here are a few highlight shots-

I have to run the in-cab wires and mount the box, other than that, it is complete. I hope to have it wrapped up by this weekend.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: WK Overland Chase Truck for the 4550 Race Jeep
Reply #2
 The hidden hitch is awesome , nice work .

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #3
I need to stop in and see the progress; nice work, Jay. ;)

• REDLYNER
  • [*][*]
  • Mall Crawling Race Car
Reply #4

I need to stop in and see the progress; nice work, Jay. ;)

Stop on by! I actually need some help with the 4550- I have like 4 or 5 simple projects that I could certainly use a hand with.

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #5

Stop on by! I actually need some help with the 4550- I have like 4 or 5 simple projects that I could certainly use a hand with.

I can probably head down your way in a week or two, if they can wait that long. O0

• Jankoid
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Warrior of Sunlight
Reply #6
Let me know if y'all do have a mod day, I wouldn't mind some wrenching and mindless jeep banter.

• REDLYNER
  • [*][*]
  • Mall Crawling Race Car
Reply #8
Got the WK out for a little mall crawler treatment.

• REDLYNER
  • [*][*]
  • Mall Crawling Race Car
Reply #12
Thanks guys, pretty kind words  :).

I've bounced it around offroad a few times now, it would need better shocks and some upgraded bump stops to be a real chase truck, but for following me around the offroad parks, it's been great. I could have gone with an aggressive A/T, but I do too much road time to deal with the hum and worse mph.

Winch, lift, 32"s, recovery gear, and trail tools makes for a decent grocery getter if the 4550 car can't make it to the store  ;D.

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #13
Any updates? Thinking about getting a WK in a few years.

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #14

that looks killer, but don't forget the Level 5 hair gel dispenser in the cargo area

POR race thread?

VERY funny
.                                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?