Skip to main content

Topic: Potential WK (Read 718 times)

• DezertLJ
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • Arrogant bastard
Potential WK
I've been looking into a WK for DD duty, but I don't have any experience with them and only know owners with WJs. How's their reliability? Any issues to watch out for?

I'm looking into 05-07 with the 4.7 and the QDII 4wd. Any issues with these? Probably will have around 90k-110k miles as I'm trying to keep it below 10 grand

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Potential WK
Reply #1

I've been looking into a WK for DD duty, but I don't have any experience with them and only know owners with WJs. How's their reliability? Any issues to watch out for?

I'm looking into 05-07 with the 4.7 and the QDII 4wd. Any issues with these? Probably will have around 90k-110k miles as I'm trying to keep it below 10 grand

I know we all love jeeps, but you could find something more economical for your budget. 
Can't fix stoopid!

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #2

I know we all love jeeps, but you could find something more economical for your budget.

Don't listen to him. He's drunk on a beach somewhere! Lol!
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

• DezertLJ
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • Arrogant bastard
Reply #3
Choices are either a 3rd gen 4runner 4wd, wk 4wd, or Xterra 4wd. I'm looking to stay with 4wd since Melissa and I head up to the mountains a lot. Her Corolla does great on gas, but it's difficult to take on the back roads on the long distance road trips we'll take occasionally. I guess I'm getting older too since I'm also looking for comfort. Many of the WKs I've been looking at include leather and heated seats, but also have the ground clearance and limited slip in case things get rough. Interior space is nice too. The 4runners are rather small, but both the Xterra and WK have plenty of cargo room

If I can find a CRD WK, I'd spend more just to get the diesel, but those are hard to come by with lower mileage

• LBJ
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • high functioning sociopath
Reply #4
we had a {ex-wife still has it} 05 4.7 loaded, one of the best jeeps I've ever owned. she still DD's it 170ish on it , still runs good and looks nice. 4.7= change the oil every 3k

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5
Our 04 has the 4.7 with 134,000 miles and it works well.

Reply #6
Why are there no Subarus on the list? Unstoppable in the snow and good gas mileage.
Keep it simple stupid

• DezertLJ
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • Arrogant bastard
Reply #7

Why are there no Subarus on the list? Unstoppable in the snow and good gas mileage.

I thought about an 05+ outback with the 3.0, but they're hard to come by around here. I dont want the 2.5 after previous head gasket issues I had on my previous legacy. Plus they dont have the ground clearance im looking for. I must be too used to the lj

Reply #8
You don't need more ground clearance than the Outback offers. Find one, buy it, and enjoy getting MPGs when you daily drive it. Having more than one pig in the fleet is redundant.
Keep it simple stupid

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #9
 Subarus love head gaskets , but all vehicles have their quirks.

Reply #10
The 05-09 Subarus seem to not have as many issues with head gaskets. They supposedly redesigned them.

The H6 engines never suffered the same issues though so it's a moot point.
  • Last Edit: Nov 24, 2015, 08:47 PM by ShaunSweeney
Keep it simple stupid

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Resident Moater Masher
Reply #11

Subarus love head gaskets , but all vehicles have their quirks.

So does the 4.7. They are nothing but trouble.

Best bang for your buck in a dubk is to get the v6. If you need to tow, get the hemi. The v6 comes with the mercedes trans from the srt8. I adore our wk. It has needed very little other than regular maintenance and has 206k
Instagram- @mr.buddy.holly

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #12

So does the 4.7. They are nothing but trouble.

Best bang for your buck in a dubk is to get the v6. If you need to tow, get the hemi. The v6 comes with the mercedes trans from the srt8. I adore our wk. It has needed very little other than regular maintenance and has 206k
No major issues out of ours yet , but I wont be surprised when it starts to act up.

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #13

I bought a wk yesterday with the 5.7 hemi overland package for just around your budget number. 95k miles. Keeps looking, it is out there. 
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief