Skip to main content

Topic: Eco-jeep (Read 1688 times)

• jrainman13
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • macgyver jr
Eco-jeep
Really tired of my turd Saturn sl2. I wanna get rid of it though it does get good mpg. Im really tired of driving a turd. Many cosmetic problems, windows don't work. Drivers door opens with a pull chord I rigged up. The list goes on....  :(
So... I've been brewing in the idea of a jeep (leaning toward xj) made into a super commuter with awsome mpg maybe performance make it fast stuff. I've heard if some 2wd manuals getting 20mpg+. The most i ever got was 17 city out of my old zj (R.I.P).
My questions here: 
what jeep with what engine is the best combo. Weight to engine ratio. Engine size. V8 V6 I6 4bangers.
Drive line? Manual vs automatic. 2x4 vs 4x4.
Wranglers vs Cherokee/Grand Cherokees. Looking at pre 2001. my mind dwells in the 90's. Open to just about anything from the Beginning of time.
Engine performance stuff. Chips? Can you do this? HHO generator? I really wanna try that one! 
Intake stuff. Ram air. Cold air. Both!!
Weight loss. Staying stock/oem? 
I really want to experiment and test different things on a DD to see what combination if things actually work and bring the best performance and mpg I can possibly squeeze out of a jeep.
Jordan

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: Eco-jeep
Reply #1
2 door 5 speed Cherokee with Ranger hubs.

• Rainman77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Oilslick
Reply #2
I've only heard of a diesel 2wd manual cherokees getting  almost 30 mpg, but it was in Europe somewhere
If it can't be fixed with a bigger hammer, it must be an electrical problem

Intsagram: jrain7 or jwrwoodworking

• jrainman13
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • macgyver jr
Reply #3

2 door 5 speed Cherokee with Ranger hubs.

That's my initial thought. I6/ax15. But ranger hubs? I know nothing.

I've only heard of a diesel 2wd manual cherokees getting  almost 30 mpg, but it was in Europe somewhere

I have looked into those little 2.8 turbo diesels. I dont think it's even legal to bring one over here. I would love to get one and put it in a xj. 

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #4
High efficiency is difficult to achieve in a brick that's powered by a hamster.  Stay away from four-wheel drive, get good highway tires and keep them inflated, and keep any excess weight out of the vehicle.  Also, keep the engine in top condition and learn good driving habits.  Barring a swap to a more fuel efficient engine, this is about all you can do.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5
There are diesel xj's here in the states but they are rare. As to the Ranger hubs your supposed to be able to hack them together to get a lockout hub in the front that would help with the mileage.

• jeepster1407
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6

There are diesel xj's here in the states but they are rare. As to the Ranger hubs your supposed to be able to hack them together to get a lockout hub in the front that would help with the mileage.

So if this works on an Dana 30 I'm surprised we don't see many more of these swaps out there. Must not be 100% bolt on. 

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #7

So if this works on an Dana 30 I'm surprised we don't see many more of these swaps out there. Must not be 100% bolt on.
Only good for stock sized tires , and no it is not supposed to be bolt on. When its done its similar to the Warn kit that is no longer made.

• Rainman77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Oilslick
Reply #8
Couldn't you just get a 2wd instead?

• Rainman77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Oilslick
Reply #11

You can , but I would go to a small front wheel hatchback of some sort before I went with a rwd Jeep.

I wouldn't mind a 2wd manual cherocar. 

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Currently Unsupervised
Reply #14
2wd 4banger xj would get decent mileage. You will be hard pressed to break 20mpg in a 4.0 4x4 xj. Why not just get an old diesel merc? Good mileage, tough, reliable, cheap. Then save your money for a well maintained Jeep to keep for some time, whether it be an xj, mj, yj, tj, whatever tickles your fancy.