I hit 20 mpg in the xj.
Once...
If it can't be fixed with a bigger hammer, it must be an electrical problem

Intsagram: jrain7 or jwrwoodworking

• JStrider
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Eco-jeep
Reply #16
2wd, lower the suspension, reduce weight,  undersized engine accessory pulleys, thinner oil, street tires, boat tail the rear, 

• LBJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • high functioning sociopath
Reply #17
Honda civic  [laugh]

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #18
Buy an old diesel Mercedes and then swap the engine into an old Jeep once the Mercedes rusts apart!

• Moabrubi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19

Really tired of my turd Saturn sl2. I wanna get rid of it though it does get good mpg. Im really tired of driving a turd. Many cosmetic problems, windows don't work. Drivers door opens with a pull chord I rigged up. The list goes on....  :(

This made me laugh as I feel your pain. I got so tired of it I bought a nice car and let me tell you it was worth every cent to get rid of that turd, the dealer gave me $500 for it and I took it because I didn't care to ever see it again or have to deal with trying to sell that POS. Beaters suck ass.

I would never count on getting more then 18-20mpg in any Jeep to be honest, and any "mods" you do will make little, if any difference.

• JStrider
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
I forgot one: remove roof racks

• jrainman13
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • macgyver jr
Reply #21

This made me laugh as I feel your pain. I got so tired of it I bought a nice car and let me tell you it was worth every cent to get rid of that turd, the dealer gave me $500 for it and I took it because I didn't care to ever see it again or have to deal with trying to sell that POS. Beaters suck ass.

I would never count on getting more then 18-20mpg in any Jeep to be honest, and any "mods" you do will make little, if any difference.

I hear ya man. This thing gets 28mpg city and almost 40mpg highway. All in all I have round $850 into this car. Costs $250 a year to insure. It's a cheap little turd, but I wants a jeep DD again!! Eats oil like crazy. Being standard it the only reason I'm keeping it for now.
if I would go for a eco jeep it would be this:
96-99 xj two door I6 5 speed 2wd
Stick size highway tires. Start with a fresh fluid change all around. Butbin full synthetic engine oil. Remove the fan on the water pump and put an auxiliary fan in instead. Little less stress on the engine. Remove the catalytic converter. Better flowing muffler. Remove the back bench seat. 
Things to try....
Hho generator
Intake spacer
Figure out if I can do some sort of ram air configuration oooorrrr..... TURBO!!! but that's dern spensive.

• Rainman77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Oilslick
Reply #22
Junkyard turbo! 
If it can't be fixed with a bigger hammer, it must be an electrical problem

Intsagram: jrain7 or jwrwoodworking

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Currently Unsupervised
Reply #24

Should be able to get one off a Volvo or something...

Turbo coupe tbird maybe? Megasquirt ecu would help keep the mileage up out of boost

• cescuzzy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Resident Electrical Wizard (Part-time)
Reply #25

You will be hard pressed to break 20mpg in a 4.0 4x4 xj.

I only hit 20+ mpgs every time my trip involves a majority of interstate driving (4.0, 4x4, 5-speed, 3.07s).  I get 17 in traffic.

An LS swap (especially one tuned for efficiency) could give you a better starting position, while insulating you against the effects of added weight; however, by the time you've spent that kind of money, you could've purchased something that is actually fuel efficient.  Starting with an XJ automatically dings you in aerodynamics.  While some of that can be resolved with skids (I'd love to have a factory front skid for Babe) and other parts, at the end of the day, there isn't much else you can do.
A safety tip in the form of The Seventh Commandment of the Electrical Engineer: Work thou not on energized equipment for if thou doest so, thy friends will surely be buying beers for thy widow and consoling her in certain ways not generally acceptable to thee.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #26

I only hit 20+ mpgs every time my trip involves a majority of interstate driving (4.0, 4x4, 5-speed, 3.07s).  I get 17 in traffic.

An LS swap (especially one tuned for efficiency) could give you a better starting position, while insulating you against the effects of added weight; however, by the time you've spent that kind of money, you could've purchased something that is actually fuel efficient.  Starting with an XJ automatically dings you in aerodynamics.  While some of that can be resolved with skids (I'd love to have a factory front skid for Babe) and other parts, at the end of the day, there isn't much else you can do.
Did you see the LS swapped XJ on NC4x4 for sale?!?

• GoGetEmTurbo
  • [*]
  • Self proclaimed JAKE-of-all trades
Reply #27
I know this thread is kind of dead but I'll play the part of Dr. Frankenstein.

Years ago I commuted with a 1995 XJ 2dr 2wd 4cyl AX-5. With mixed Highway/Street driving, I regularly got 25mpg. Bone stock, no frills. Only upgrade it had was A/C that hadn't worked in years.

My father's first Comanche, 1990 Pioneer Metric Tonne I6 AX-15 4x4, bone stock got 22mpg with about 70/30 highway/street. His current 1989 MJ gets around 19 with almost 100% street driving. He's retired and doesn't drive nearly as much any more.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #28

I know this thread is kind of dead but I'll play the part of Dr. Frankenstein.

Years ago I commuted with a 1995 XJ 2dr 2wd 4cyl AX-5. With mixed Highway/Street driving, I regularly got 25mpg. Bone stock, no frills. Only upgrade it had was A/C that hadn't worked in years.

My father's first Comanche, 1990 Pioneer Metric Tonne I6 AX-15 4x4, bone stock got 22mpg with about 70/30 highway/street. His current 1989 MJ gets around 19 with almost 100% street driving. He's retired and doesn't drive nearly as much any more.
Good info is relevant whether the thread is dead or not, thanks for adding to it.

• DezertLJ
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • Arrogant bastard
Reply #29
I thought it was impossible at first, but it happened multiple times. I achieved at most 22 mpg in my 4.0/aw4 4x4 xj with 200k miles. Ran 3.5" lift and jk rubi take offs when it was achieved. Cruising at 65 on flat land, but it did have thule cross bars. Speedometer was correct

Now i dont think an xj should be bought for good mileage, but it produced the highest mpgs ive ever had in a jeep