Skip to main content

Topic: The First Rule of Monkey Underground is... (Read 6358 times)

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
The First Rule of Monkey Underground is...
...that we do not make clich├ęd Fight Club references in the Monkey Underground.  >:(

In fact, we don't do anything in a trite and stale fashion around here, because the purpose of the Monkey Underground is to provide support, encouragement and direction for motive, evolutionary and unconventional thinking.  Read that again if you need to wrap your brain around it, and then read on.

"Evolutionary and unconventional thinking."  Know what that means in the off-road world?  Well, I'll tell you: it means projects, modifications, discussions and ideas that tread around and beyond the established methods.  This is the fringe...the ragged edge.  This is the realm where the conventional rules are few in number because we do not treat conventional rules as immutable facts; in this forum, nothing is sacred.  Phrases like "That's impossible" and "that can't be done" and "that's the most unbelievably retarded idea I've heard in three decades" don't really have a place here, because those phrases restrict innovation...and the reason for this board's existence is the encouragement of innovation of all types.

There are boards for General discussion, normal tech/repairs and all of that fun stuff...so if you've got something on your mind or in your garage that falls within those lines, keep it over there.  However, if whatever you're working on or thinking about doesn't fall within those lines...or, better yet, if it blurs or eradicates them entirely - it probably has a place here.  Untested engine swaps, custom suspension designs, repurposing and re-modeling of stock components, non-standard load-outs, unique gear modifications, prototyping, kit-bashing, junkyarding...the complexity or scale is irrelevant.  It doesn't matter if you're trying to swap an ST33 diesel into your TJ or just looking for a better and/or different way to carry your spare tire and some extra fuel; no matter the insanity du jour, the Monkey Underground welcomes you.

Now, lest anyone think that our disregard of conventional limitation means that this particular section of Jeep-Owner is a no-holds-barred free-for-all, it must be said that there are rules within the Monkey Underground.  Actually, that's a lie; there's only one rule, and that one rule is as follows:

Be Cool.

It's a scientifically-proven fact that anyone on or in close proximity to this planet cannot reach the age of seven without understanding what "be cool" means, but in the interest of covering the bases I'll spell it out: being cool is just that...being cool.  It means thinking before speaking, and speaking respectfully to other people when you do so.  It means being considerate and open-minded.  It means that you're ready to listen, ready to teach and ready to learn; that's what the Monkey Underground is all about, you know.  If something gets out of hand it'll get taken care of...but if people remember to Be Cool, those incidents will be few and far between.

So, with all of this said...I encourage you, Dear Reader, to open up the dusty corners of your brain and start wondering what's possible.  Start working on things that are difficult, misunderstood, untried and buried beneath years of "It can't/shouldn't be done" denials.  Start considering whether or not the impossible is truly impossible.  Start having a bit of fun with the crazier notions that you think up in your idle moments, and when you post them we'll see if we can't make something useful out of them.

Welcome to the Monkey Underground.
  • Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015, 03:24 PM by Sundowner

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: The First Rule of Monkey Underground is...
Reply #1
 So if I read this correctly this is the place to talk about a 3" chrome body lift ?  ;D

In all seriousness I look forward to seeing what kind of cool innovation comes out of this .

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #3

So if I read this correctly this is the place to talk about a 3" chrome body lift ?  ;D

What about my Chromed, Quad-shock setup?

Pssh...you guys are chrome-haters.  ;D

In all seriousness I look forward to seeing what kind of cool innovation comes out of this .

Hopefully, there will be a lot of it...but that all depends on participation.  We'll see what happens...

Reply #4
I'm doing the most unheard of thing in the offroad world....I'm not modding my rig EVER! I know your mind is blown and I am sorry for the mess.
Keep it simple stupid

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5

I'm doing the most unheard of thing in the offroad world....I'm not modding my rig EVER! I know your mind is blown and I am sorry for the mess.
Quoted for future reference .  :-X

• 357transam
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Flapdisc Fanboy
Reply #6
 8)  I'm not going to lie, the very existance of this thread is making me giddy.  Like school girl invited to prom by the football captain giddy.  Let the fun begin!!!!

Reply #7
We all know I'm lying Greg. I just had to mess with Dave's mind a little.
Keep it simple stupid

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #9
I have this crazy idea about welding two YJ tubs together and dragging it behind my Jeep. I know, I know, foolhardy and crazy as that sounds, I think it'll "be cool"!
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

• Jankoid
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #10
Your republic is forfeit, prepare to be reclaimed by the wasteland!

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #11
I'm starting to wonder about exactly what kind of a reputation I have with you people... ;D

• Tyvanwie
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Did somebody say chrome

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #14
I have been searching for this said Monkey Underground.  
Work hard all week to enjoy the two days in the Sun.