Skip to main content

Topic: Cherry Bombs and Bottle Caps (Read 5056 times)

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Re: Cherry Bombs and Bottle Caps
Reply #16
I would say I've been dumpster diving, but that name has been taken already, lol! So it's "One man's junk is another mans Jeep trailer!"
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #17

I'll gladly make one for you... but there are no promises on the cosmetic condition of my welds. :))

I'm not one to gripe over looks. I'm a function over form type. If you can save one for me until the Beach Meet, I would be very happy.

• jdunk813
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I feel like I can finally contribute on one of these forums.  I found the forum through all the whispering on threads I was following on Jeepforum.

So my contribution...

Problem: No lockable storage that cannot be over taken by a little manhandling with a screwdriver for the small items that really I don't feel like carrying with me when I leave the Jeep. Not that I leave anything in there to begin with.

Possible options:
Bestop Under Seat storage
Tuffy Locking everything imaginable
Make something for relatively low cost
Buy something that actually has a roof of metal that cannot be unzipped or cut by the dumbest of criminals.

So, which one would be the best for a cheapa$$ from the Midwest living in Texas.

Solution:
Make something at a relatively low cost.
First order of business was to source something that can be modified to work in the cramped confines of our beloved TJs.  As I drive a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Willy's Edition, I thought that maybe an ammo can would seem to fit with the camo seats and "military" heritage that Jeep was trying to achieve.

I searched the forums looking for good ways to mount the cans.  All seemed sort of just placed in the back and bolted or really looking like they were an after thought.  Granted this is assuming that my idea doesn't look like an afterthought.  I found a thread where a guy took an ammo can and fashioned a sort of housing for next to the drivers seat to hold some tools.  I liked the idea, but I did not like that it wasn't a "sealed" unit. So here is where it led me when I finally got my hands on a small caliber ammo can.

Ok, so this and its twin are not finished as I am lazy and tend to tinker with the Jeep more than the extra projects. I still need to figure out the locking mechanism for these.

Most likely an ammo can locking mechanism that takes and locks the top with a 3/16in flat stock at a 90 degree angle that slides over a peg that can accept a small gun lock.

All in all... I could probably take and turn around one of these from the original ammo can in about 4 hours with out paint.

I've read most of y'all's threads on Jeepforum, and I was happy when I finally thought I could contribute.
Please let me know your thoughts.

-Josh

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #19
I've read most of y'all's threads on Jeepforum, and I was happy when I finally thought I could contribute.
Please let me know your thoughts.

-Josh

Josh, I'll tell you exactly what I think:  that's Bad Ass!!!  Way to make good use of some unused space beside the seat, and: Welcome to Jeep-Owner.  8)

• jdunk813
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20

Josh, I'll tell you exactly what I think:  that's Bad Ass!!!  Way to make good use of some unused space beside the seat, and: Welcome to Jeep-Owner.  8)

Thanks, man.  I really appreciate the compliment.  Funny thing is that space always seems to have a water bottle in my Jeep.  I'll throw on here my idea for a lockable box in the back from another surplus store find when I actually take some time to work on it.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #21

Josh, I'll tell you exactly what I think:  that's Bad Ass!!!  Way to make good use of some unused space beside the seat, and: Welcome to Jeep-Owner.  8)

Thats clean , nice work .

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #22
Love it

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Cherry Bombs and Bottle Caps
Reply #23
Turned this on the trailer with the use of 98%    used or junkyard/scrap pile parts.  I can count the new parts on one and a half hands. 
  • Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:20 PM by Hendrix
Work hard all week to enjoy the two days in the Sun.

• 357transam
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Flapdisc Fanboy
Reply #25
I don't know if the above statement was official or not, but I just finished one I think qualifies.

The guy at work was basically giving away this working amp, so I figured with some assorted parts, I could make it something nifty.  See assorted parts below.

There you see the amp, a thrown away side window made of plexiglass for a Honda, what remains of the LED's from a BMW taillight, and some junk wiring from a BMW recall.

The LEDS:

Soldering the LED's to the ground and remote terminals on the Amp, so they will light up only when the amp is on.

Plexi cut, and the beginnings of making the amp more acceptable.

On the left we have:

And on the right:

And all complete:

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #26
 I have two things to say about the amp .

1:That looks awesome !

2: 12V wiring is the debil !

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #27
Very cool!  I like the light-up case!

• badmonkey
  • [*]
  • nobody
Reply #28
Looks sweet!  Nice project.  8)

• d1backwoods
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • MuyMuy!
Reply #29
not as cool as most of these finds, but co-worker tossed exhaust off his old truck that had a Flowmaster Delta40 on it....cut it off and put it on my Yeep (+5 redneck points)
“Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre” - Chet Atkins
"I wanted to pay for my successes with all my defeats" - dawes