Skip to main content

Topic: Cooler tech  (Read 11723 times)

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Cooler tech
I have been reading about coolers and this is what I have come up with for the roto molded heavily insulated options . Post up what you find or your personal experience with any of these or different brands .

Yetis are roto moulded and uses 2" of polyurethane to hold the ice longer . They also have the steel lockable corners and replaceable rubber latches . They have a 5 5 year warranty and are made in the Philippines, Iowa, and Illinois depending on the model .

Grizzly's are roto and have an unstated pressure-injected insulation . The hinge is molded in with a stainless steel pin . It has a 2" drain plug, bear claw latches ? and a rubber gasket . They are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty .

Engels are also roto molded , offer 2" of insulation and have a silicone gasket . The hinge is intermolded ? Which leads me to believe its plastic as they dont mention a steel hinge pin like the others . They claim to hold ice the longest , and are made in Thailand . The warranty is a 3 year limited offering .

Yukons are made by Igloo and are roto molded with 2" foam in the body and 3" in the lid . They have a rubber gasket and stainless steel hinge . The warranty is 5 years and they are made in the USA .

Downunders are are roto molded have 2" of insulation in the walls and 3" in the lids . They have a rubber water tight seal and steel hinge pin. The warranty is 3 years and they are made in China ? The country of origin isnt clear , and this is what I have seen mentioned on the web .

I am still researching about other brands like ORCA , Galaxy ( may be out of business ), Brute Box ,K2's which look like Orcas and ICON . Theres a lot of offerings to check out and while I like reading and researching real world experience is the most valuable info out there .

Any personal experience or tips will be greatly appreciated .

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Re: Cooler tech
Reply #1
Where do you find the time!
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #2

You have to buy time in bulk...  ;D

I have to admit that I'm sort of guilty for provoking some of this thread: I found an Engel 25-quart model on big-a** clearance for $100 yesterday.  It's one of the only models that will fit under the limited height of Greta's hard deck, and at 60% off the usual price I would have bought as many as they had...which I actually did: it was the last one in the store.

I don't have a lot of experience with these coolers, yet, but Engel seems to have a good reputation...as do the other brands.  Grizzly, Yeti and Yukon rounded out my four preferred choices, but since the Engel was on sale that's what I went with.  Pending that I have good experiences I'll be looking for a 50-ish quart model for the LJ, which thus far has no height restrictions in the back end.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #3

After the kids are in bed or in between projects during the day . I stay pretty busy when I am home working on stuff , but most mornings and late evenings I am online .

You have to buy time in bulk...  ;D

I have to admit that I'm sort of guilty for provoking some of this thread: I found an Engel 25-quart model on big-a** clearance for $100 yesterday.  It's one of the only models that will fit under the limited height of Greta's hard deck, and at 60% off the usual price I would have bought as many as they had...which I actually did: it was the last one in the store.

I don't have a lot of experience with these coolers, yet, but Engel seems to have a good reputation...as do the other brands.  Grizzly, Yeti and Yukon rounded out my four preferred choices, but since the Engel was on sale that's what I went with.  Pending that I have good experiences I'll be looking for a 50-ish quart model for the LJ, which thus far has no height restrictions in the back end.

I had already been looking for a cooler as the cube wouldnt fit , and your find did nothing to help the problem .  I want something between 45 and 65 qts and most of the above listed companies offers one that will fit under the tonneau . We are in similar predicaments with the height restrictions so when I find the magical good deal larger cooler I will let you know .

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #4
I had already been looking for a cooler as the cube wouldnt fit , and your find did nothing to help the problem .  I want something between 45 and 65 qts and most of the above listed companies offers one that will fit under the tonneau . We are in similar predicaments with the height restrictions so when I find the magical good deal larger cooler I will let you know .

Like I said, man...I would have bought all of them that they had at that price.  I wish there had been a few more. :-[

You've got more space under your tonneau than I do; Greta's deck has a 1.5"-thick tubular substructure underneath it, so I only have 14.5" of height to work with.  That's why the 25-quart coolers are all that would fit.  I think you could definitely get a 35 or 50 in the trailer, though; that extra inch and a half makes all the difference in the world.

Have you considered a 12-volt fridge/freezer?

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #5
Yetis are roto moulded and uses 2-3" of polyurethane to hold the ice longer . They also have the steel lockable corners (nope, just moulded) and replaceable rubber latches . They have a 5 year warranty (good luck getting that warrantied through a dealer that sold it to you). 

edited the above for you GB. 

Where I used to work, we tested a yeti 50 vs a grizzly 50 vs a coleman equivalent.  We put all in a warehouse (unconditioned air and not in the sun directly, good ventilation - like how it would typically be in a jeep).  Filled all 3 to the top with ice from the same ice maker and opened them each twice a day.  Drained the water from each once a day.

Yeti's ice lasted 7 days with ice still in it.  Grizzly last 5 or 6 days with ice.  Coleman didnt last the whole day. 

I own a yeti 50 or 60 and would be willing to let it go if you want it.  Let me know, it is in perfect condition. 

Every time I take my yeti on a wheeling trip, I cannot get the ice to last more than 3 days and the food too for that matter.  I dont mind this at all, but for a TRUE expedition-er, this might be a real problem.  I know it has to do with the amount of times I open the cooler to get ....er-um cokes and drinks out while sitting around the fire at night...

Personally, if I ever buy another "cooler", it will be the arb fridge freezer combo.  It just makes since to me to have something with power to not limit you to the amount of times you can open an ice chest.  Plus how cool would it be to keep some good food on hand to cook say halfway down the rubicon...

[orcj]
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• Moabrubi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I dont see the point of spending a couple hundred on a Yeti when for a little more you can get an ARB fridge and never need ice or have a soggy sandwich again.

I have one on my list.. they are so awesome.

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #7

I dont see the point of spending a couple hundred on a Yeti when for a little more you can get an ARB fridge and never need ice or have a soggy sandwich again.

I have one on my list.. they are so awesome.

Completely agree at THIS point.  For the record, I have never had a soggy sammy from my yeti.  They come with a "bin" at the top for sammis and other thangs. 
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• The_Eng
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
Reply #8
We have an ARB fridge display in our showroom and it is awesome. We keep bottled water in it for clients and it definitely helps keep my lunch cool during the day :D

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #9

I dont see the point of spending a couple hundred on a Yeti when for a little more you can get an ARB fridge and never need ice or have a soggy sandwich again.  I have one on my list.. they are so awesome.

The main problem for me, personally, is height: I have exactly 14.25" of clearance in the rear of my TJ and I haven't found a fridge/freezer that's less than 14.25" tall.  The secondary problem is access: all of my access to the rear storage area comes by way of the tailgate or by flipping the front seats forwards; this means that I have no access to that area from above, which is the direction from which one accesses most fridge/freezers.  Because of these two points - available space and direction of access - the fridge/freezer choice isn't a very viable one...so that's why I jumped on a decent cooler even though I'd much prefer the fridge/freezer option.  If someone knows of a low-height model that's got a front-opening door PLEASE tell me about it, because that would find a home in Greta in a heartbeat.

Completely agree at THIS point.  For the record, I have never had a soggy sammy from my yeti.  They come with a "bin" at the top for sammis and other thangs. 

That's good to know; there's not much space in the 25-qt. model but it's got enough room to keep some ice, drinks and meats properly chilled.

We have an ARB fridge display in our showroom and it is awesome. We keep bottled water in it for clients and it definitely helps keep my lunch cool during the day :D

Now THAT is some smart advertising...  ;D

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #10
 I like the ARB but it is too tall to fit under either the deck or the tonneau . I have a max height of 16.25 or so and that locks me into a cooler as I havent seen any skinny fridges . I do like the idea of the cooler though , and I could reconfigure the deck on one side in the back of the LJ , but I would still have to open the rear window to get to it .

Still searching ...

• Moabrubi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

So is there a Jeep-Owner discount?  :D

I like the ARB but it is too tall to fit under either the deck or the tonneau . I have a max height of 16.25 or so and that locks me into a cooler as I havent seen any skinny fridges . I do like the idea of the cooler though , and I could reconfigure the deck on one side in the back of the LJ , but I would still have to open the rear window to get to it .

Still searching ...

Well that's a bummer, my cover is built tall so the big ARB can fit in there if need be.  :)

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #12

So is there a Jeep-Owner discount?  :D

Thats a great idea  ;D
Well that's a bummer, my cover is built tall so the big ARB can fit in there if need be.  :)
I can rebuild the cover , but I hate taking out the rear window . If there was a cooler fridge that fit below I would probably give it a try.

• The_Eng
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
Reply #14

Still searching ...

Greg you are pretty close. The smallest fridge ARB makes is a 37 qt and dimensions are H16.9' x W15"' x D27.8"  Then you could get one of these for ease of use: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-37QT-50QT-Fridge-Freezer-Slide-10900021-P3628.aspx