Skip to main content

Topic: Cooler tech  (Read 11723 times)

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Re: Cooler tech
Reply #15

I like the ARB but it is too tall to fit under either the deck or the tonneau . I have a max height of 16.25 or so and that locks me into a cooler as I havent seen any skinny fridges . I do like the idea of the cooler though , and I could reconfigure the deck on one side in the back of the LJ , but I would still have to open the rear window to get to it .

Still searching ...

The arb is supposed to be mounted not in a confined space such as a tonneau covered trailer or inside a rig with a hardtop.  The ventilation required for the refrigerant can not be achieved in those spaces.  It is better to mount it to the outside of the trailer like on the tongue. 
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #16

The arb is supposed to be mounted not in a confined space such as a tonneau covered trailer or inside a rig with a hardtop.  The ventilation required for the refrigerant can not be achieved in those spaces.  It is better to mount it to the outside of the trailer like on the tongue.

That's a pretty smart idea!

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #17
 I picture an ARB on the tongue going to someone elses house  :(

Yukon cooler is out , got a chance to measure one today and it is too tall .

If I go to an ARB cooler fridge it would go in the back of the LJ , so that I could use it with or without the trailer.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Ann and I watched this video last fall and went with the Coleman Marine extreme... bought on sale at the end of the camping season for $39.  Holds ice better than anything we have had and I did not need a second mortgage to pay for it.  We have only used it on long weekend trips so far, but have not needed to replenish ice yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

FWIW, I guess.  As you may know by now, I select, how shall we say... the "less expensive route" when performance is similar.

John
Je Suis Prest!  Semper Fi...

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I miss the old Coleman metal coolers that had a bottle opener incorporated into the handle. We put a block of ice in there and in middle of summer camping it lasted 6 days. I got it on clearance because of a dent in the corner. I remember I needed to borrow the money from my Mom :'( . I think it was 17 bucks. Jim

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20

I miss the old Coleman metal coolers that had a bottle opener incorporated into the handle. We put a block of ice in there and in middle of summer camping it lasted 6 days. I got it on clearance because of a dent in the corner. I remember I needed to borrow the money from my Mom :'(. I think it was 17 bucks. Jim

Could not agree with you  more.  My family had one when we were growing up.  It was a tank.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #21

Ann and I watched this video last fall and went with the Coleman Marine extreme... bought on sale at the end of the camping season for $39.  Holds ice better than anything we have had and I did not need a second mortgage to pay for it.  We have only used it on long weekend trips so far, but have not needed to replenish ice yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

FWIW, I guess.  As you may know by now, I select, how shall we say... the "less expensive route" when performance is similar.

John

Thats a good video , depending on overall height the Coleman may be a winner .

I miss the old Coleman metal coolers that had a bottle opener incorporated into the handle. We put a block of ice in there and in middle of summer camping it lasted 6 days. I got it on clearance because of a dent in the corner. I remember I needed to borrow the money from my Mom :'( . I think it was 17 bucks. Jim
Those were great coolers , still see them on Craigslist for sale once in a while .

Could not agree with you  more.  My family had one when we were growing up.  It was a tank.
We had one too ... I think it may still be in the rafters of dads boat shop .

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #22

My favorite cooler is an old stand-up Coke cooler that sits beside my kitchen stove.  We use it for storage these days - it could be cleaned up and made to function if I got around to doing it - but it's got a bottle opener and a cap catcher on the front; I'd love to find a way to bolt one of those onto the Engel I bought.  8)

Slight hijack: does anyone have any helpful cooler mods that they've cooked up?  I was thinking of getting some kind of non-slip finish on the top and bottom of the baby Engel so that it wouldn't slide around and it could be used for a step or a chair or something of that nature, and that got me thinking that there must be some useful cooler alterations floating around out there?  Any thoughts?

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #23
 Rubber feet seem to be a common modification from what I have read .

And I found a cooler that seemed like it would be perfect .

It lists for $80 and has good reviews . Both Amazon and REI have them in stock with free shipping , unfortunately it is 1" too tall .

I am seriously considering an ARB cooler fridge in the back of the LJ with a new deck cover .

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24

Slight hijack: does anyone have any helpful cooler mods that they've cooked up?

OK, so you asked for it.  This is a cooler that my daughter, FSIL (future son in law) and son built for me last Christmas.

Makes me happy.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
Had to rig up a cap drop of course... and it would be a waste if it were not in a cool setting... this bar area sits right next to our firepit.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #26
 I really like the bar/fire pit area .

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #27
 Tonight I have good news and bad news .

The good news is :The Grizzly , and Yeti both will clear the tonneau .

The bad news : Neither of those options will pass Kimbo's budget  :'(

Still searching and reading . 

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #28
First of all, that wood-sided cooler is awesome.  Second: wait to catch one of the coolers on sale, perhaps?  How soon do you need it?

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #29

First of all, that wood-sided cooler is awesome.  Second: wait to catch one of the coolers on sale, perhaps?  How soon do you need it?

I need one for a Cape lookout excursion , and for Memorial day in Currituck aka the homeplace .