Skip to main content

Topic: Cooler tech  (Read 11553 times)

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Re: Cooler tech
Reply #272
Now to get all the coolers side by side...

I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison that's actually worth the time it takes to do it, because most comparisons aren't very useful; they're almost always measuring the retention of ice and draining the water instead of measuring the ice/water mix that prolongs the safe retention of food...and that makes absolutely no sense when you think about it.

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #273
We do things a bit differently. We bought a food saver. After we package food for trips we freeze everything. That acts as the ice for the cooler.

We pulled what we needed for breakfast the night before so it would fully defrost. The reminder of the meals were designed to be boiled. That's a nice side benefit of food saver bags, they can be boiled!  After a full 5 day trip, even out crappy Coleman "5 day" cooler kept everything frozen.

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #274
We do things a bit differently. We bought a food saver. After we package food for trips we freeze everything. That acts as the ice for the cooler.

We pulled what we needed for breakfast the night before so it would fully defrost. The reminder of the meals were designed to be boiled. That's a nice side benefit of food saver bags, they can be boiled!  After a full 5 day trip, even out crappy Coleman "5 day" cooler kept everything frozen.

That sounds like a good plan, plus it lets you do a bunch of the prep at home instead of in the field
- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #275
That sounds like a good plan, plus it lets you do a bunch of the prep at home instead of in the field

Prep at home is the name of the game.  Dice, chop, season, mix, cook and otherwise prepare everything you can possibly prepare beforehand, because mixing the dry ingredients for pancakes in a 25-mph wind really sucks.

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #276
Prep at home is the name of the game.  Dice, chop, season, mix, cook and otherwise prepare everything you can possibly prepare beforehand, because mixing the dry ingredients for pancakes in a 25-mph wind really sucks.

I could see how that could be... challenging...

Though quite entertaining for any onlookers  [laugh]
- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #277
The solution to pancakes was a dry mix using powdered buttermilk. Just add water to the container and shake like a mofo.

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #278
The solution to pancakes was a dry mix using powdered buttermilk. Just add water to the container and shake like a mofo.

And then cook it within a short period, lest your pancake batter turn into industrial-strength spackling compound.

• Rainman77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Oilslick
Reply #279
I'm taking notes for my NY camping trip in 2 weeks
If it can't be fixed with a bigger hammer, it must be an electrical problem

Intsagram: jrain7 or jwrwoodworking

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #280
I'm taking notes for my NY camping trip in 2 weeks

Biggest tip I can give you: pre-chill the cooler.  Go buy a small block of dry ice and set it inside the cooler a day or so before you want to pack the cooler and leave; this will bring the temperature of the cooler down to sub-zero levels (hopefully) and prevent the cooler itself from acting as a heat sink when you put frozen foods in it.  You'll get a lot more mileage out of your ice by doing this.

Second biggest tip: thermal mass is your friend and you want as much of it as you can get...so don't drain the water!  A lot of people will tell you to drain the water out of the cooler because the ice in a cooler will melt faster in water than it will in air...and yes, that's exactly what will happen because water is more dense than air.  Your objective, however, isn't to maintain ice: it's to maintain safely-chilled food...thus, the dense and COLD water/ice mixture will preserve foods for much longer than an ice/air mixture that physically can't make good contact with the food in order to keep it chilled (remember that air is a good insulator, which is just another way of saying "it's good at keeping heat from moving" which is why ice melts slower in air than water).  So, leave the water mixed in with the ice and maintain a more dense thermal mass, and your food will stay fresh longer.

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #281
To add to Daves suggestion. Also bring your cooler into the house while pre chilling it.

• ShaunSweeney
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #282
To add to Daves suggestion. Also bring your cooler into the house while pre chilling it.

Especially if you live in a place that is hot enough to cook a steak on the sidewalk.