Skip to main content

Topic: White Lightening Refresh.....  (Read 3445 times)

• 357transam
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Flapdisc Fanboy
Re: White Lightening Refresh.....
Reply #15
That bumper needs some paint!

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Nate can you update this thread with your current setup for us slower kids in the class please. It's been a couple of years since I read your thread over there...

• 98tjcomeonuh
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I figured you were, I like it that its unique, I can't remember though, are you running a hp30 up front or still the lp? This is gonna be a good refresh. [thumbsup]

Reply #19
Nate can you update this thread with your current setup for us slower kids in the class please. It's been a couple of years since I read your thread over there...

4cyl,  5speed, tera low 4:1,  LP D30 w/ 4.88's and an Aussie Locker,  D35 w/ 4.88's and a Superior S35 Kit with a Detroit.  6" stretch to 100"wb using the frame stretch method.  3 link front,  5 link rear.  Custom links using metalcloak joints.  Completely flat belly using a barnes skid,  and some creativity.  Ummmmm.... thats the major stuff.  35" Km2's on Racelines also......

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #20
How's the Tatortot rig doing? Assume he's driving it now? It's been awhile buddy.
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

Reply #21
How's the Tatortot rig doing? Assume he's driving it now? It's been awhile buddy.

Its doing good!  Daily driver status for him.  He wheeled it pretty good at Hollister last month.  Little sucker does really good!  He got a job as a lifeguard and is a pretty typical 16yr old dipshit....

Oh yeah.... and he's looking me in the eye now,  im 6'4".... thats not cool!
  • Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 10:11 PM by InstantAirSupply

Reply #22
These will be some before photos...... you can see the link mounts are just getting worked.  No longer can the joint experience it's full range of motion.  Not cool.  Not to mention it's impossible to even drop the joint out of the mount for servicing.  I hate that.

Rear link mount.... don't mind the shitty weld,  it's strong but not pretty.  If I had a dollar for every time my spotter said "you're hung up on the rear link mount",  I could probably retire.

These gotta go.... they may not ever really stop progress but they have such a distinct sound as they drag along rocks it's quite annoying. 

These used to be allen bolts..... haha

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #23
Dang! Serious rock rash buddy! Par for the course where you wheel down south.
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

Reply #24
Ok so here's what I got done today..... I started with a fully running and driving rig.....

Front axle to the workbench....

I think I may have fusion welding my diff cover the housing....  [rockon]

And now the bulk of today's work....... I removed ONE link mount from the frame.  That's right..... ONE.  I can't think of a worse job than removing link mounts off a frame,  welded on by some asshole that is paranoid about his welds failing and just welds the ever living shit out of everything.  I'm glad that guy has gotten better at that and WAY more trusting in his welding abilities.  Anyhow.... cut, grind,  cut, grind..... hammer cut grind.... you get the idea.  It's far from glamorous but has to be done.  I don't care if I only get one a day done,  no rush here. 

My new Dewalt 11amp grinder is kicking some ass though.  I would have burned up ANOTHER Harbor Freight cheapie today for sure. 

Anyhow.... frame looks awesome with no link mount.  Imagine the link mount on the inside of the frame..... oh yeah it's gonna be slick. 

Well that's all for today.  tomorrow I might not get anything done since I'm hauling my welder to a buddies to weld on his trailer.  I HOPE to attack the drivers side mounts tomorrow,  that's ones even harder with the 3rd link mount also welded to it.... fun fun.

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
Frame looks great...what's the plan to get the trans skid raised? Sounds like a lot of work for a tiny gain

I love that you're continuing to rock the 35

Reply #26
Frame looks great...what's the plan to get the trans skid raised? Sounds like a lot of work for a tiny gain

I love that you're continuing to rock the 35

It actually shouldn't be to bad.  I plan to weld some angle to the inside of the frame rail 1/2 inch up, then  cut the skid to fit between the frame rails and drill some holes to hold them all together.  It will gain a half inch below the bolts.  Sounds minimal but ANY belly clearance that can had is welcome.  I find that rigs with smooth frame rails,  and no little hang ups (bolts even) just get around and slide over stuff so much better.  Who knows though.....

I'm already pretty greedy with the available space as it is, so maybe once I get in there that 1/2" will be harder to come by than I think.  

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #27
It actually shouldn't be to bad.  I plan to weld some angle to the inside of the frame rail 1/2 inch up, then  cut the skid to fit between the frame rails and drill some holes to hold them all together.  It will gain a half inch below the bolts.  Sounds minimal but ANY belly clearance that can had is welcome.  I find that rigs with smooth frame rails,  and no little hang ups (bolts even) just get around and slide over stuff so much better.  Who knows though.....

I'm already pretty greedy with the available space as it is, so maybe once I get in there that 1/2" will be harder to come by than I think.  

Might want to look into skinning the skid with uhmw. Stupid abrasion resistant and slick as ice.
- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28

Very cool idea can't wait to see you try it

• aw12345
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #29
For the flat skid use long flat head bolts go all the way through the frame with spacer tubes inside of the frame and nuts on top. Works very well. Moving the lower links on the frame side flush with the frame doesn't make for very good geometry. Kick them inside of the frame rails but let them hang down about1.5 to 2". Will greatly reduce the hangups and still make for good geometry.