Skip to main content

Topic: White Lightening Refresh.....  (Read 3094 times)

Re: White Lightening Refresh.....
Reply #30
For the flat skid use long flat head bolts go all the way through the frame with spacer tubes inside of the frame and nuts on top. Works very well. Moving the lower links on the frame side flush with the frame doesn't make for very good geometry. Kick them inside of the frame rails but let them hang down about1.5 to 2". Will greatly reduce the hangups and still make for good geometry.

What if i raise the uppers the appropriate amount?  No f's given in regards to clearance for the uppers,  ill cut into the tub if i have to....

• Angrytj
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
you going with swag body mounts?

Untitled by lverdura28, on Flickr
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @ tarantula_tj

Reply #32
you going with swag body mounts?

Untitled by lverdura28, on Flickr

No i can make some a little more simple and higher clearance.  Why do you still have the body lift puck?????  I thought the whole point was to weld them up an inch higher and lose that......

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33
What if i raise the uppers the appropriate amount?  No f's given in regards to clearance for the uppers,  ill cut into the tub if i have to....

Might run out of frame to stick the uppers to if you go too high. I would probably start with the upper, stick it as high as i can get it, then let that dictate how high the lower can be tucked.
- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

Reply #34
Might run out of frame to stick the uppers to if you go too high. I would probably start with the upper, stick it as high as i can get it, then let that dictate how high the lower can be tucked.

Im going to make a "combo" mount,  so the upper link mount will be welded to the lower link mount,  then the assembly welded to the frame.  Possibly with a couple gussets running from the upper link mount to the top of the frame for some reinforcement.

Basically.....I'm NOT doing all this work and having the link mounts below the frame..... not even a little,  thats my primary goal.  Haha
  • Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016, 10:19 PM by InstantAirSupply

• Moabrubi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #35
Good to see White Lightning getting some action. You preparing it for the hammers season maybe we can actually get some trails in.    ;D

I like what you are doing, my mounts are all beat to hell.

• aw12345
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #36
Im going to make a "combo" mount,  so the upper link mount will be welded to the lower link mount,  then the assembly welded to the frame.  Possibly with a couple gussets running from the upper link mount to the top of the frame for some reinforcement.

Basically.....I'm NOT doing all this work and having the link mounts below the frame..... not even a little,  thats my primary goal.  Haha
+

I went that route and then later dropped the lower mounts down, been much happier ever since. Climbs waterfalls much better

• aw12345
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #37
For something close 7" separation of the links that's going to happen anyway. Your lower links should be almost horizontal, just a slight slope to realize that and have the lowers even with the frame you almost have to put the lower links on the axle side above the axle tube

Reply #38
For something close 7" separation of the links that's going to happen anyway. Your lower links should be almost horizontal, just a slight slope to realize that and have the lowers even with the frame you almost have to put the lower links on the axle side above the axle tube

Gotta remember how low I am,  itll come together,  im basically moving every link mount up by the same amount,  currently the axle side link mounts are stock orientation.  In the end,  the geometry will be vitrually identical to what i have now,  just 3" higher.  I do remember you lowering your rear mounts after your build so im keeping that in mind.

Reply #39
Good to see White Lightning getting some action. You preparing it for the hammers season maybe we can actually get some trails in.    ;D

I like what you are doing, my mounts are all beat to hell.

One of these days we wheel together!  Haha.  Spooners was sort of the last straw.... to prompt these changes. 

• Moabrubi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
One of these days we wheel together!  Haha.  Spooners was sort of the last straw.... to prompt these changes. 

I'll drop mine off for the stretch and high clearance link mounts when you are done ;D

Yeah Jackhammer kicked my booty last time we went out.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #41
 Nice to see White Lightning again , I see some tub chopping in the near future.

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #42
Gotta remember how low I am,  itll come together,  im basically moving every link mount up by the same amount,  currently the axle side link mounts are stock orientation.  In the end,  the geometry will be vitrually identical to what i have now,  just 3" higher.  I do remember you lowering your rear mounts after your build so im keeping that in mind.

Remember that the location of the axle in relation to the control arm mounts will also have an impact on the performance of the suspension.

Reply #43
Time to get back under there and get rid of the other front frame side link mount.  If things go well I'll start chopping the axle mounts today also.... oh what fun. 

Reply #44
Slightly used 3 link mount for sale.... some assembly required. 

What a pain.... 108 temps today aren't helping matters.