Skip to main content

Topic: Colorado July 2017 (Read 561 times)

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Colorado July 2017
My wife is in a wedding in Colorado at the end of July 2017.  I'm hauling the Jeep out and going to wheel a few days before and after.  Wanted to see if anyone would want to meet up. 
  • Last Edit: Aug 31, 2016, 03:57 PM by Holaday

• 143Dad
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Colorado July 2017
Reply #1
I can work on making that happen. Do you have dates?
I've never been poor, poor is just a state mind.<br />I have been broke, broke is a condition brought on by owning a JEEP.

• oldschool
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Dates and where?
Long hair, short hair, ain't no difference once the heads blown off.

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I will be headed out there the last week of July.  Wedding is in Colorado Springs, but we only need to be there one day.  Last time out there I ran Carnage and Penrose.  Both were cool, but I was hoping to see a bit more of Colorado.  Maybe try some less technical trails that cover a bit more ground

• 143Dad
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
I like that plan.
I've never been poor, poor is just a state mind.<br />I have been broke, broke is a condition brought on by owning a JEEP.

• d1backwoods
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • MuyMuy!
Reply #5
Interesting........Patriot might have to tackle some of this fun
“Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre” - Chet Atkins
"I wanted to pay for my successes with all my defeats" - dawes

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I would like to hit Holy Cross and poking around on traildamage, 21 road looks pretty bad ass too.

• janesy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I wish there is a way I could swing this. Probably a year too soon for me tho.
Follow me on Instagram: @nick.janes.bitch

• oldschool
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I will be headed out there the last week of July.  Wedding is in Colorado Springs, but we only need to be there one day.  Last time out there I ran Carnage and Penrose.  Both were cool, but I was hoping to see a bit more of Colorado.  Maybe try some less technical trails that cover a bit more ground
If you want more moderate trails with amazing scenery, there are many within a couple hours of CS. Tincup pass, Tomichi pass, Mt. Antero (very steep narrow switchbacks up to over 14000ft) which at the top you can see forever, Hancock pass just to name a few. By mid July, most are open. In same area is Ironchest, I did it a few years ago in my (fairly modified) CJ5, and it is breathtaking. However the 1st quarter mile is a bolder field that I am not willing to take my XJ through. All of these are in the St. Elmo and Taylor reservoir 
area (worth the trip in itself) and there are many more. I have done them all and would be happy to discuss. You can PM me for my phone #.

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
If you want more moderate trails with amazing scenery, there are many within a couple hours of CS. Tincup pass, Tomichi pass, Mt. Antero (very steep narrow switchbacks up to over 14000ft) which at the top you can see forever, Hancock pass just to name a few. By mid July, most are open. In same area is Ironchest, I did it a few years ago in my (fairly modified) CJ5, and it is breathtaking. However the 1st quarter mile is a bolder field that I am not willing to take my XJ through. All of these are in the St. Elmo and Taylor reservoir 
area (worth the trip in itself) and there are many more. I have done them all and would be happy to discuss. You can PM me for my phone #.

Thanks!

Figuring one day we could hit Spring Creek Trail and Red Elephant trail both of  which is literally next to 70 about an hour west of Denver.  And another day try the loop that goes through St. Elmo Ghost Town (where you can hand feed the chipmunks) over Tincup Pass to Tincup where there a cool little mountain resturaunt called Frenchy's and back through Taylor Park and over to Buena Vista.

Planning on getting to CO on the 22nd of July and wheeling through the 26th

• oldschool
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Sounds like a great trip. Be aware though that Cottonwood pass from Taylor park to Buena Vista will not be open during 2017. They are redoing road next year and it is scheduled to be closed for entire summer.

• Angrytj
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Depending on my bonus in April I was going to plan a trip to colorado. Haven't considered when but perhaps this will work out for me.
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @ tarantula_tj

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
@Rucas @UhhhWinski and i are trying to make a western trip happen around the same timeframe. Would be cool to meet up.
- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Sounds like a great trip. Be aware though that Cottonwood pass from Taylor park to Buena Vista will not be open during 2017. They are redoing road next year and it is scheduled to be closed for entire summer.

Thanks for the heads up.  I just copied and pasted that from my plans for the last trip.  But I broke at Penrose. 
Depending on my bonus in April I was going to plan a trip to colorado. Haven't considered when but perhaps this will work out for me.

Do it!

That would be awesome.  I can also stay the week after the wedding.  It would be cool if we could make it work. 
@Rucas @UhhhWinski and i are trying to make a western trip happen around the same timeframe. Would be cool to meet up.