Skip to main content

Topic: Stormin' Norman - 99 TJ shop Jeep build (Read 1641 times)

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Stormin' Norman - 99 TJ shop Jeep build
So figure we'll go ahead and get active here. Seems Lucas likes this place. :)

We're going to start a mild build on this thing, basically it is going to be my wheeler, mall-crawler, cruiser, and parts runner. We bought this thing like 6 months ago with a rusted frame. A guy who is no longer employed here with us sectioned the frame and did good solid welds, but instead of using the plating I told him to, he used some scrap metal and it ended up looking like crap. We put it on the lot for a while, but the ugly frame work scared everyone off. Plus it has a bunch of miles on it. It is a really nice Jeep so I wasn't about to lose money on it. I figured screw it, I'll keep it. Pulled the hardtop and full doors and listed them for sale. Then grabbed a pair of half doors and a softtop frame we had sitting here.

Plans are to paint the half doors satin black, I have ordered a new black diamond soft top with tinted rear windows too. The lights on the bumper were not wired up when we got it in, so plans are to wire them to the fog light switch. I also have some other lights on another Jeep with windshield brackets so probably am going to move them over to this.

It also has wicked death wobble at around 64 mph. I think it is a tire balance issue. I hate the Gamblers that are on it, so hopefully we get another Jeep through here with some nice wheels I can use. We just bought a tire machine and balancer so I'll check that once we get them installed. Probably will put some better more aggressive tires on it at some point when we get some better wheels in.

Probably will eventually lift it. Who knows. We'll see what we get in here.

Here's what it looked like when we put it on the lot, with the hard top off.

I'm hopefully going to paint the half doors tomorrow, and the new soft top should be here today or Friday.

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Stormin' Norman - 99 TJ shop Jeep build
Reply #1
Diggin that color.  I'd throw some with some 10.5" wide pizza cutters on some black steelies

Any long term plans?

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #2
It is a really cool color. Not a very good paintjob, it is either a good rattlecan job or an average Maaco spray. Jeep was originally black so a lot of that shows through on the jambs and seams. Plus the tires have tan overspray on them.

Not sure on any longterm plans, mostly I'm going to just drive it and upgrade stuff as it breaks. The more time and money I spend on it is the less time and money I'm putting into the business. It is a 4.0L automatic so I will probably do a stroker motor and an AW4 at some point when it needs it.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #3
 Welcome to the board , look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Resident Moater Masher
Reply #4
Hey stranger! Welcome to the madness ;D

First thing to do is rid the poor thing of that hideous tube bumper. @green50gt you have any blemish stubby bumpers still laying around?

Excited to see this thing progress
  • Last Edit: Oct 05, 2016, 05:37 PM by Rucas
Instagram- @mr.buddy.holly

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5
Hey stranger! Welcome to the madness ;D

First thing to do is rid the poor thing of that hideous tube bumper. @green50gt you have any blemish stubby bumpers still laying around?

Excited to see this thing progress
@green50gt  x2

• Texas TJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Looking forward to seeing where this goes, it's always more fun to follow a build from the start rather than see where they're at years later. Although, then you don't have the suspense.
If you can't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them!<br><br>

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
Reply #7
Looking forward to seeing where this goes, it's always more fun to follow a build from the start rather than see where they're at years later. Although, then you don't have the suspense.

Oh, come on... suspense is the most fun...  ;D

• green50gt
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I heart you guys.  I've got one bare steel stage two at the moment.  I think we are no longer going to offer powder - shipping can be brutal.  I'll shoot a PM.

I heart Jeeps & Florpro

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #9
Honestly I'll probably rock the tube bumper for a while until we get a wrecked Jeep in here with a decent front bumper. This thing is basically going to be a spare parts build.

I sprayed the doors last night. I went with a semigloss black, but I think they have too much sheen. I think I am going to try and find a matte tan that matches the body and redo the doors. They'll do for now, better than the magenta color that was on there.

• green50gt
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
So I need a TJ Tub with a "good" or "rebuilt" title.  Can't use one that's salvage.  Can you hook a brother up?
I heart Jeeps & Florpro

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #11
Unfortunately, since we are a dealership we can only sell them if they have been inspected and run through the DMV. Only one we have right now is an 03 and even if we could do that, it has a salvage title. Sorry bud.

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #12
SEM Trim black will better match the sheen of the flares, FYI.
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!