Skip to main content

Topic: Stormin' Norman - 99 TJ shop Jeep build (Read 1580 times)

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: Stormin' Norman - 99 TJ shop Jeep build
Reply #30
Considering I'm in the business of selling Jeeps, that wouldn't be a bad thing really. I'd just move on to another pile with a ton of problems that I fix up and then sell when I get done! LOL
Flipping is good...

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #31
Yep, I'm really digging this Jeep though, even with all the little issues it has. Overall it is coming together though. I've driven it almost every day this week. I need to get some rearview mirrors for the thing though, it is hard merging on the highway in rush hour with the top up!

Oh, and I did fix the stereo. It was out of the back of the head unit, but I was able to get my hand in there and get it plugged back in. Of course, we don't really have any good radio stations anyway so I am just streaming Pandora through the aux plug anyway.

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #32
So no pics, but we're hopefully going to have a big update on Norman here in the next couple of weeks. I have noticed recently that when it is cold the transmission is slipping very bad. When warm it is fine but cold it is horrible. The engine also has a wicked lifter tick that hasn't gotten any worse, but the motor has 226k miles on it and it just kind of worn out I think.

We had another Jeep here with a smashed up body but a really good solid drivetrain and frame. Lucas got the body all pulled off, but I forgot to get a picture last night when I was there. It is a complete rust free frame with about 190k miles on it and was an awesome running and driving Jeep. Also has a 4.5" lift and brand spanking new 33x12.50s on it.

On top of that we had another Jeep here with nice bumpers and winch that we are about to send back to dealer auction, so we swapped the bumpers out for some factory ones.

And, of course, forgot to get a picture when I was at the shop last night. LOL

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33
full drivetrain swap?? how's the frame on norman?

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #34
The frame on Norman looks like crap. When we bought it the frame was rusted out in the normal TJ areas. The last guy, who is no longer employed with us, sectioned in a new piece of frame. It was a solid repair but looks absolutely terrible. One of the reasons the Jeep wasn't selling, it looks really bad even though it is a solid repair. I figure since we have a solid drivetrain sitting in a rolling chassis with lower mileage, it would be easy to just lift off the body on Norman and drop it down on the other frame. This other one is also a 99 with all the same options so should be a straightforward swap!

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #35
Awesome...sounds like a no brainer

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Currently Unsupervised
Reply #36
Norman's new spine and heart
  • Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 01:00 PM by Rucas

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #37
Same color too?

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #39
Busy Rucas ahead...

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #40
Yeah, the other one was gold. Norman is a cheapo tan spray job, probably rattle can, possibly Maaco, definitely bad.

Busy Rucas ahead...
Conversation from last night:
"Hey Lucas, how long do you think it would take to swap the body onto that chassis?"
"Two people probably about a day"
"What about one guy while the other guy does something else?"

[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41
Yeah, the other one was gold. Norman is a cheapo tan spray job, probably rattle can, possibly Maaco, definitely bad.
Conversation from last night:
"Hey Lucas, how long do you think it would take to swap the body onto that chassis?"
"Two people probably about a day"
"What about one guy while the other guy does something else?"

[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]
The joys of being the boss man👍🏻

• 98tjcomeonuh
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #42
Can't wait to see the transplant happen.

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Reply #43
Looks like the body swapping is going to start tomorrow. Hopefully. :)

Definitely by Friday though.

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Currently Unsupervised
Reply #44
Muahahahahahahaha  [weld]