Skip to main content

Topic: full hydro steering on trail and street driven rig (Read 265 times)

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
full hydro steering on trail and street driven rig
Full hydro steering on a rig that is probably 50/50 street and trail, aka driven to the trailhead and wheeled and back home.  Thoughts?  Experience? Why is this a good idea or not?  Thanks.
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• Mulvihill64
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: full hydro steering on trail and street driven rig
Reply #1
Full hydro steering on a rig that is probably 50/50 street and trail, aka driven to the trailhead and wheeled and back home.  Thoughts?  Experience? Why is this a good idea or not?  Thanks.

If you are doing any amount of highway driving, I would shy away from full hydro. I'll admit I have no personal experience with it but since orbital valves don't have a true center, having to constantly correct on the highway sounds like a pain. One workaround I did like was this pic that @UhhhWinski posted in his thread a while back.

- Sean

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.

Follow me on IG! Mulvihill64

• janesy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
To me, full hydro has no place on a street driven vehicle. Should have a mechanical aspect to it, in case of an issue with the hydraulics.
Follow me on Instagram: @nick.janes.bitch

• Jankoid
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Warrior of Sunlight
Reply #3
I wouldn't run full hydro even on a dedicated trail rig. My biggest complaint is that if the motor isn't running, you can't steer, period. Couple years back I saw a buggy with full hydro break an alternator pulley. No fan belt meant no steering. It had to sit there in the middle of the trail over night while a replacement was found. With mechanical steering we could've just pulled it off the trail and back to the trail head.
  • Last Edit: Nov 02, 2016, 01:40 PM by Jankoid

• jeepster1407
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I'll jump in line for not advising it as well. On a trail rig only then I would definitely do it but you must carry spares. It is far superior in many ways to assist steering but if its driven on the road Its still a no.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5
 Its miserable to drive at any speed , hydro assist however is fantastic.

• jampop1
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I did see something the other day that I thought was pretty cool. It was a full Hydro ram in place of the tie rod just like always. But it was plumbed into the steering box as a ram assist. It had a drag link that came off the pitman arm and went to the knuckle just like always.

• UhhhWinski
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I did see something the other day that I thought was pretty cool. It was a full Hydro ram in place of the tie rod just like always. But it was plumbed into the steering box as a ram assist. It had a drag link that came off the pitman arm and went to the knuckle just like always.
The exact same thing sean and i posted. Using a howe valve box, lot of 4500 guys are doing it.
Personally i look at it this way? How often has your power steering failed , and if it has was it your fault or neglect? Full hydros been around for a long time. If you want to run it, do it. If you dont then dont. Personally wouldnt do it to anything driven over 30miles at a time or new but id do it for a drive to the trail rig or something without a clockspring
that kid with too much time

• scotch737
  • [*][*]
  • Jack of All trades, Master of None
Reply #8
I had a YJ with said hyrdo. One question... for street driving.. Do you want to point your Jeep.. or drive it?
Quote from: PolkaPower
At least they have perfected boob jobs. You can't even tell anymore. That's one good thing.