Skip to main content

Topic: Neomonk21's 2005 Rubicon Build Thread (Read 2794 times)

• jjvw
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Neomonk21's 2005 Rubicon Build Thread
Reply #15
I wish mine was orange. You're smart to get the tummy tuck done early. It may be good to investigate rear adjustable control arms and a double cardan drive shaft.
  • Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016, 08:06 PM by jjvw
2003 Rubicon

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #16
I wish mine was orange. You're smart to get the tummy tuck done early. It may be good to investigate rear adjustable control arms and a double cardan drive shaft.

My guess is that I will need those before this is done.  My current driveshaft probably won't work.

Here's another update.  We got the shocks on in the rear and tightened everything up.

It's now back on all four wheels!

Measurement of the rear.  Almost exactly 3".

ETA:  Blurry soda can for reference.

Soda can for scale.

Now I'm just waiting on my lowpro transmission mount to arrive.  Hopefully it will ship this week.  I also removed my locker pumps and am going to mount them in the engine compartment.
  • Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 01:05 PM by Neomonk21

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Looks good! C/V shaft and upper adjustable arms are definitely needed
Can't fix stoopid!

• jjvw
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Looking good. Measure the coils at their ride height. Anything above 12" front and 8" rear is lift.
  • Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016, 11:03 PM by jjvw
2003 Rubicon

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #19
My transmission mount should be here tomorrow, finally.  I hope to have the pumps relocated and the mount installed by the end of the day Saturday.  Then we'll see if I need a new driveshaft!

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #20
Where are you moving the pumps? I put mine on the abs tray under the hood.

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #21
Where are you moving the pumps? I put mine on the abs tray under the hood.

That's where I'm moving mine.  I have all the hose and wires cut and the holes drilled on the tray.  I just need to mount the pumps and splice the wires and I'll be good.

Did you have any issues with heat?  Where did you put the breather tube?  My plan was to put the breather tube in the engine compartment right next to the pumps.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #22
The pumps have worked fine though I did make a cold air intake to push air under the hood after I regeared to 5.13's. I ran the vent over and above the brake booster.

• Trailhawk
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Spoiler alert: it's alive!

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #27
False alarm :(  I'll be making a post about death wobble in the tech section shortly.
Have y'all done the dry steering test yet?

• Trailhawk
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
Have y'all done the dry steering test yet?
Yeah.  Neomonk steers pretty rapidly from 3 to 9 while I lay underneath with a flashlight and go down through the list of components starting with the pitman arm.  I also feel each component (carefully) as it moves to try and find any grinding or binding.  We replaced the draglink end at the pitman arm.  Draglink at tierod and both tie rod ends check out.  Axle side of the trackbar checks out.

We're getting some slight side to side movement in the frame side of the jks trackbar, probably 1/16th of an inch but I believe that there should be no play.  I suspect the wobble with the original parts may have ovaled the hole slightly and the jks insert isnt able to fully make up the slack in the hole.  I'm trying to research various ways of snugging it up whether it be a new insert or a weld in fix it washer or something.  I'm also reading where welding on that bracket is not easy as the bracket is cast.
Part of the jks instructions have you run a 9/16th drill bit through the hole to open up the upper end of the frame mount.  It only took off a small bit of metal and we were through.

I'm also suspect of the ball joints and tires.  When we were testing the balljoints there was some small amount of play on the driver's side  Various sources claim that some play up and down is acceptable and some claim there has to be no play.  This is the next thing I'm digging into.

Lastly, the tires are pretty worn 31ish" mtr's.  I recall reading about the mtrs sometimes being very hard to balance.  Debating taking the tires off of the other tj we have been working on and swapping them on since the other tj has never had vibe or wobble issues.

I'm also reading that it is probably worth while to check out the control arms and bushings.  Being a leaf guy I had not thought of that.

The frustrating part of this is that we had everything together last night and gradually increased the top speed over several test runs.  We were being gradual about it in the hopes that we would catch the wobble as it started if it was still there before it got full on violent.  We drove several miles at 50mph+ and even across some pretty harsh road heaves and railroad tracks.  Today we were doing about 25 and hit a manhole cover with the passenger front and it was like someone suddenly unleashed an 800 pound angry gorilla under there.  It didnt stop until we came to a stop.  We drove back to the garage pretty slowly and had it act up again going over a bridge joint.
  • Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 07:50 PM by Trailhawk

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #29
Updated pics.

This pic doesn't look much different than the rest but its all finished (minus some minor details).

Here is the driveshaft angle without the t-case drop.

I'm not the biggest fan of the skid plate and low profile mount from UCF.  I get a lot of vibes at idle.  More than I expected and more than what other people called "minor vibes".  The lift kit is nice.  It's very soft riding and handles well enough.  I definitely need the sway bar links connected, though.  It is way too squirrely without them on.  I hope it will settle a little bit and then we can get a good measurement for a new driveshaft. 

Unfortunately, as Trailhawk said, the death wobble is still there.  This really deflated my sails.  I thought we were in the clear.  Back to the drawing board...