Skip to main content

Topic: Neomonk21's 2005 Rubicon Build Thread (Read 2110 times)

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Re: Neomonk21's 2005 Rubicon Build Thread
Reply #30
Was there any death wobble before?

• Trailhawk
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
Yeah.  The need to replace the stock trackbar and the draglink end escalated into a lift.

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #32

What Trailhawk said.  I knew I wanted to lift the Jeep and needed a new track bar to hopefully fix the death wobble so I decided to do the lift and adjustable track bar at the same time.  I had already purchased the extra clearance skid plate to put on with the body lift and motor mount lift.  We kind of just rolled all the upgrades into a month-long build.

ETA:  The death wobble was intermittent for a while.  Then all of the sudden it would happen multiple times in a trip.  I decided (probably too late) that it wasn't safe to drive anymore and stuck it in my garage to try and fix it.  Hopefully I didn't let it go too long and made it worse.
  • Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 11:12 PM by Neomonk21

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #33
Did you ever check out the control arm bushings? The passenger front upper is a common culprit for DW, it was causing my frustrating to located DW

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
Did you ever check out the control arm bushings? The passenger front upper is a common culprit for DW, it was causing my frustrating to located DW
I was thinking the same.

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #35
I was thinking the same.

That's what Trailhawk wanted to check next. 

Is it worth getting new control arms or just replace the bushings (if they are bad)?

• Tonellin
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
Those bushings on the top of the front axle are not in the actual control arms, they are pressed into very thin metal housings on the axle itself.  The only solution (aside from johnny joint weld in) is to burn/cut out the bushing and press in a new one.  It kind of sucks to do because of the location and toughness of the clevite but it's probably the next logical step for you.  Mine didn't look bad so I was skeptical about it fixing the DW, but sure enough the new bushing completely stopped it.  Be extra careful pushing in the new bushing as the metal it sits in is VERY thin and prone to bending.

As for replacing the other control arms I couldn't imagine trying to press out and replace bushings in the factory arms, everything I've heard says just find a decent set of take offs from someone that upgraded

• Trailhawk
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #37
Thanks for the info!  I'm about to go take off the upper arms and see what's what.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #38
New Johnny joints in the Dana 30 and rebalanced tires took care of my slight wobble.

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #39
Replacing the lower arms fixed it for me. I bit the bullet and bought Currie arms figuring I'm going to need the adjustability at some point to fix caster/pinion angles.
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!

• Neomonk21
  • [*][*]
Reply #40
Since I bought the Zone lift I was tossing around the idea of buying their control arm set that was designed to work with the 3" lift.  I don't know if I would need them to be adjustable or not.

• janesy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41
Don't waste your money on those. If you're gonna get new control arms get a quality set such as Currie, Savvy or Metalcloak.
Follow me on Instagram: @nick.janes.bitch

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #42
Don't waste your money on those. If you're gonna get new control arms get a quality set such as Currie, Savvy or Metalcloak.
Solid advice.

• Trailhawk
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
I've been making solid progress here so far. Both lower ball joints were shot and the passenger side upper control arm bushing had a lot of play.  Still working on getting the drivers side upper out.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #44
Do you have the angle adapter to press the ball joints back in? If not the shim trick from bleeping jeep on youtube works well.