Skip to main content

Topic: Documenting my automotive ADD (Read 618 times)

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Documenting my automotive ADD
Well I really enjoy reading build threads but I can never stick to only one project at a time and tend to constantly jump from one project to another. So this will be my version of a build thread but instead of focusing on a single vehicle, this will be a place to document the progress on all my junk and keep it in one place.

So I'll start with listing all the projects I've got going on or have planned in the hopefully near future.

1. The fiancé's 98 XJ - bought it not running with what was supposed to be just a blown headgasket but when I got the head off #2 piston was missing a piece so I bought another engine for it. In the middle of putting new gaskets, timing chain, etc on the replacement engine. XJ is in the shop waiting for me to pull the junk engine out.

2. My 99 Tracker - bought it earlier this year with a broken timing chain. Did a leak down and got lucky that no valves were bent. Replaced all the timing components and have been sharing DD duties between this and my beater Mazda Protege. It's actually a decent little ride so I bought another blown up Tracker last week to pillage for parts to convert my Tracker to 4x4.

3. My 99 2dr XJ - still collecting parts for this project but overall plan is to lower it, different wheels, 8.8 swap, then add some power. I've got a nitrous kit already, also have an Eaton M62 supercharger from a GM 3800 or I've been thinking about building a stroker, who knows what I'll end up doing. Once everything else is done, I'll get a buddy to help me repaint it.

4. Dad's 87 YJ - we bought this years ago from a neighbor after he gave up on it. Original 4.2 blew the headgasket and sat for a couple years. We pulled the old 4.2 and BA10 trans then just let it sit in the corner of the shop. Plan is to swap in a 4.0, aw4, 231 from an XJ, ditch the vacuum disco d30 for a newer hp30 and probably put an 8.25 in the rear since I have a few. Bought a 96 XJ awhile back for an engine and rear axle donor.

5. My 99 4dr XJ - this is a 2wd with a blown up engine, trashed interior and no title. Was originally supposed to be an engine donor for the YJ but I was a little too trusting of the seller and didn't find out about the junk engine until after I got it home. So to make lemons into lemonade, I'm going to swap in another 4.0, convert it to 4wd, cut/chop/beat until some 33" TSL's fit and attempt to follow my buddies around in their buggies on 40's. Got a good shortblock, trans/tcase and hp30 laying around already, which is what gave me the idea to throw it together.
  • Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 07:06 AM by untchabl
XJ Addict

99 XJ 2dr 2wd - SRT XJ project
99 XJ 4dr 4x4 - Trail Beater project
02 Suburban K2500 8.1 - Crawler Hauler

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Documenting my automotive ADD aka project tourettes
Reply #1
99 2dr XJ and the Tracker the day I drug it home.
XJ Addict

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
6. 02 2500 Suburban - took almost 2 years of searching before I finally found an 8.1L 2500 Burban that wasn't worn out or crazy expensive. Already done a few upgrades, all new lights front and rear, new tires, brake controller, etc. Next up is fixing the AC, cranking the torsion bars to level the front and ditch the AutoRide for some Bilstein shocks.

7. Fiancé's 96 XJ trail rig - no major plans, upgrades will be done as she gets more experience. Did build a rear bumper for it to replace the bent stocker.
  • Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 12:10 AM by untchabl
XJ Addict

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
The Burban right after I got it and the fiancé's beater XJ
XJ Addict

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Documenting my automotive ADD
Reply #4
That is a lot of vehicles to work on!
Can't fix stoopid!

• green50gt
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I'm in love with the burb and the build plans for the 2 door!
I heart Jeeps & Florpro

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
A prime example of why I have a hard time making progress on my projects...the fiancé's DD needed front struts and lower control arms replaced. So that's what I accomplished on my day in the shop this week. But I did get a couple more things done on the replacement engine for her XJ. Should have that part of the project done this weekend and be ready to start pulling the junk engine.

• Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017, 12:00 AM by untchabl
XJ Addict

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #9
You have got it bad.

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
Got the new engine all finished up and it's ready to go in the fiancé's XJ. Got the junk engine almost ready to come out. Top 2 bellhousing bolts and the motor mount bolts are the only things holding it in. Ran out of time to finish this weekend.
XJ Addict

• untchabl
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #12
Whoever the engineer was at Jeep, that decided to use those stupid inverted torx head bolts on the top 2 bellhousing bolts, definitely deserves a lifetime of kicks to the crotch. Seriously I forgot how much those bolts suck to remove. Replacement engine is in, inverted torx bolts in the trash and regular grade 8 bolts in their place. Slowly making progress.
XJ Addict

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #13
Those two bolts are teh debil...

• bobthetj03
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I'm not worthy!
Reply #14
Those two bolts are teh debil...

Especially when  you mistake those two bolts for allen heads and almost strip them to the point of non removal.
My Jeep takes me to some pretty cool places!