Skip to main content

Topic: Commander love? (Read 210 times)

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Commander love?
So I have been considering moving to a different platform, that works better for the normal usage of my vehicle.  95% of the time I ma commuting or going on trips with my LJ.  No problem, honestly, when I am on my own... add kids, wife and others in the mix and the comfort factor comes into play.  Hard to strap the 7 year old, my wife and potentially others into the LJ and convince everyone that I "need" the off road capability of the LJ Rubicon.

This thought process led to me buying, building to a certain extent and then selling a 1991 Suburban.  I just was not ready to let go of my jeep.  I still may not be, but the commander has me intrigued.  Here's why:
- Hemi v8...
- Reports of the quadratech 2 being a viable off road tool
- seating for 7 ( I need 6 from time to time)
- Comfort for all (?) involved
- Towing ability (current towing does not exceed 2500#, but like having the ability)
- Not into rock crawling anymore.
- Did I mention comfort?  Am I getting too old for this shit?

The only against I can see are:
- I will regret letting go of the LJ Rubi - once in a lifetime I think
- Never worry anout capability with my current jeep
- Work around the farm.  Right now I take my rig deep into the woods in search of firewood, hunting, etc... Commander is not built for that I don' think.  Only idea is to add a beater to the stable, such as an old YJ or TJ, not even register it and use it as a farm/woods vehicle.

Thoguths please?  Anyone have expereince with a Commander?

Thanks - John
Je Suis Prest!  Semper Fi...

• SchochAuto
  • [*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • The Jeeper Reapers
Re: Commander love?
Reply #1
The Commander is basically a bigger WK. I don't know much about them, but my brother looked into them and he wasn't impressed with the build quality or the ride, said it felt very heavy and wasn't overly impressed. Plus it is IFS so that sucks. That being said, we do own a WK that is IFS and are happy with it. I wouldn't get rid of a LJ Rubi for one though.

• 98tjcomeonuh
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Yeah I would be hard pressed to get rid of my LJ for wk or xk, though this is mine and my wife's second wk, first with the 3.7, now the hemi. I love both of them. They are great jeeps.

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Currently Unsupervised
Reply #3
Legroom sucks almost as bad as the back seat in a TJ or YJ. With the 3rd row seats up there is zero cargo room in the back. Its a chrysler so expect electrical issues. We always had electrical issues in our WK. Besides that they are decent vehicles. Not terribly difficult to work on.

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #4
As a guy who went from an unpractical LJ that never had the creature comforts to a leather, hemi WK, I think you will hate it.
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #5
 Buy a cheap newer suburban for the trips and save the LJ til it has to go.

• Florpro
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Great idea [thumbsup]

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Seems like I was looking into one but it has disappeared???? :-)

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
As a guy who went from an unpractical LJ that never had the creature comforts to a leather, hemi WK, I think you will hate it.
Speak to me.  Why?  or is this sarcasm?

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9

Absolutely loved mine.  It was great for moderate wheeling, amazing in snow, heavy as a tank and I felt great about having my wife and kids in it.  It pulled my TJ decent, and I only had the 4.7
  • Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 08:19 PM by Holaday

• davewjcook
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Dogfood Engineer
Reply #10
A former co-worker of mine had one. Pay attention to the lack of view out the back window due to the seating arrangement. It bugged him more and more the longer he had it.

With that said, the v8 was awesome...

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

Absolutely loved mine.  It was great for moderate wheeling, amazing in snow, heavy as a tank and I felt great about having my wife and kids in it.  It pulled my TJ decent, and I only had the 4.7
Great pictures.  What lift did you have and how did you feel about it?  Looks like most of what is out there is just a spacer lift of one variety or another unless you spend thousands on the superlift 4 inch.  I would look to the 2 - 2.5 inch lift with 31-32" tires, throw a locker in the rear, add skids and a winch and be "done"  haha

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

All these pics bring back some good memories

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I had a 2 inch Daystar lift, a 1/2 inch strut spacer, and set of JK Rubicon take offs with 1.25 inch wheel spacers. 

4XGuard front skid and rocker guards and the rest were stock skids I got from a local pick and pull.  I never needed a locker, the QDII is pretty darn capable.  The only thing holding me back was how mad my wife got when her DD would come back with another dent or scratch.

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Thanks @Holaday .  Those pics really help me get over my capability anxiety lol... Your build is very similar to what I would do.  Your pics show the extreme of the trails I think I would be interested in.  I have a long and sorted history building jeeps for the rocks/extreme.. so maybe it is time to "grow up" a bit and look at something like this.  Appreciate your input.