Skip to main content

Topic: Commander love? (Read 221 times)

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Re: Commander love?
Reply #16
Speak to me.  Why?  or is this sarcasm?

No sarcasm. Speaking from my experience. I had/drove my LJ longer than any vehicle I've ever had and it had the rugged, topless jeep lifestyle and feel. When I swapped to a nice WK, the nice comfortable jeep did not feel the same at all. I quickly realized I bought the WK for the brand name more than anything and grew to dislike the "jeep" and my decision.  So that is my story and I just meant that an LJ and a commander are completely different animals.
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• green50gt
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
We had a 07 Hemi Commander Limited for a while.  It had really decent power, it was AWD, I wished it had 2wd option.  yes there was not a lot of room in the 2nd row, kids were little at the time so with carseats and whanot it was cramped.  The stadium seating was cool, but unless you are stuffing a child or little person back there, passengers will hate you.  My sister in law would get carsick for whatever reason.

We've since had a Z71 Suburban and now a new body style Yukon XL - I'd recommend you go that way.
I heart Jeeps & Florpro

• Holaday
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Thanks @Holaday .  Those pics really help me get over my capability anxiety lol... Your build is very similar to what I would do.  Your pics show the extreme of the trails I think I would be interested in.  I have a long and sorted history building jeeps for the rocks/extreme.. so maybe it is time to "grow up" a bit and look at something like this.  Appreciate your input.

It was a fun Jeep, and I would probably still own it if my wife would not have left the sunroof open during a 3 day rainstorm.  I never could get all the codes to clear and finally traded it for her ESV Escalade.  The room is a bit better for the growing family and we liked captains chairs in the second row.  I would not hesitate to own another.  Ill try to dig up the forum I was on for it.  Good guys and tons of info.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #19
Rainstorm could be trouble...

• jscusmcvet
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
No sarcasm. Speaking from my experience. I had/drove my LJ longer than any vehicle I've ever had and it had the rugged, topless jeep lifestyle and feel. When I swapped to a nice WK, the nice comfortable jeep did not feel the same at all. I quickly realized I bought the WK for the brand name more than anything and grew to dislike the "jeep" and my decision.  So that is my story and I just meant that an LJ and a commander are completely different animals.

Great answer.  This describes my "struggle" exactly... While I am not doing the heavy rock crawling off roading anymore and enjoy more trail riding and camping, etc... I am still (as I have been forever) enamoured with the Jeepness of a Jeep... and the raw capability of the LJ Rubicon platform... which - even though I rarely do it anymore, is capable enough to tackle any trail within striking distance, even with my mild build.  Hence the struggle.  Am I grown up enough to let it go in favor of comfort?  Dunno... but @Holaday posed pictues that answer some of that at least in that he showed the Commander tackling basic trails no problem.

There is a couple in Raleigh for sale with the desired Hemi and QDII... So I am still in consideration mode... and Ann has not kicked me out for it yet, so I got that going for me. :-)
Je Suis Prest!  Semper Fi...

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #21
Great answer.  This describes my "struggle" exactly... While I am not doing the heavy rock crawling off roading anymore and enjoy more trail riding and camping, etc... I am still (as I have been forever) enamoured with the Jeepness of a Jeep... and the raw capability of the LJ Rubicon platform... which - even though I rarely do it anymore, is capable enough to tackle any trail within striking distance, even with my mild build.  Hence the struggle.  Am I grown up enough to let it go in favor of comfort?  Dunno... but @Holaday posed pictues that answer some of that at least in that he showed the Commander tackling basic trails no problem.

There is a couple in Raleigh for sale with the desired Hemi and QDII... So I am still in consideration mode... and Ann has not kicked me out for it yet, so I got that going for me. :-)

Believe me I know it is a hard decision, but I wouldn't do it again. I hope that helps.
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• Rucas
  • [*]
  • Staff
  • Resident Moater Masher
Reply #22
When the yj was broken I used the wk as a daily. It was nice having an 'appliance' type car with creature comforts but after the first couple days I started missing the jeep.

• 98tjcomeonuh
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Ill trade you my '05 wk with 55k miles on it for the rubicon LJ  ;D

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #24
Trade you a suburban and a wrangler ;D