Skip to main content

Topic: What am I up to today.... (Read 22474 times)

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Re: What am I up to today....
Reply #34
Water base paint. 
Work hard all week to enjoy the two days in the Sun.

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #36

Nice, we never got to use any of that. Do you still have to use a sealer?

Yeah, standard paint procedures still apply. 

We stripped the bumper with an air blower, then cleaned, used a plastic conditioning sponge, wiped with a plastic cleaner,applied an adhesion promotor.  Then a 2k primer, baked @140 for 35 min, sanded with 600 grit, sealed with 2k sealer wet on wet, based with 4 coats of Aqua base/ base coat paint drying between coats then clear coated with regular 2k clear coat.  All the PPG line Nexa. 

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #37

Yeah, standard paint procedures still apply.  

We stripped the bumper with an air blower, then cleaned, used a plastic conditioning sponge, wiped with a plastic cleaner,applied an adhesion promotor.  Then a 2k primer, baked @140 for 35 min, sanded with 600 grit, sealed with 2k sealer wet on wet, based with 4 coats of Aqua base/ base coat paint drying between coats then clear coated with regular 2k clear coat.  All the PPG line Nexa.
And people wonder why paint jobs cost so much . Nothing like the old lacquer based stuff .

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #38

And people wonder why paint jobs cost so much . Nothing like the old lacquer based stuff .

We mix everything on a touch mix system that records the cost per workorder.   I can give you an exact cost of painting that bumper.   Its pretty high tech, and the managers sit down every 3 months and pull a report to see how your accuracy is on mixing and see if you are wasting any product.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #39

the managers sit down every 3 months and pull a report to see how your accuracy is on mixing and see if you are wasting any product.
That part doesnt sound fun .

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #42
About an hour.  I forgot to start the time lapse when I put the new panel on. 

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #43

About an hour.  I forgot to start the time lapse when I put the new panel on.
Not as long as I thought it was . Your job takes a lot of patience.

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #44
Been awhile since I updated this.  
Lots of cutting and replacing of frame rails, quarter panels and such.  I started documenting everything because in FL if there is a problem with the repair I can end up in court.