Skip to main content

Topic: The Booty Fab Thread (Read 34132 times)

• Sundowner
  • [*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Neutral Evil
The Booty Fab Thread
For those of you that know what Booty Fab is...well, you already know what kind of horror we can post in this thread.  For those of you that don't know, please refer to the following helpful description.

Booty Fab: The absolute ass-end of fabrication work, or - more clearly - fabrication that is so poorly conceived and executed it can barely be called "fabrication" at all, and should instead be considered as nothing more than fodder for any number of "How Not To" threads...including the present one.  Please note that Booty Fab is not to be confused with either on-the-spot trail repairs (on-the-spot repairs are entirely permissible whereas Booty Fab is never permissible) or Fab Booty, which is not only permissible but highly desired (especially in yoga pants).

So, with that said: Post pictures and/or stories of the worst examples of Jeep fabrication and modification that have ever seen the sad light of day.

• mattamd_xp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: The Booty Fab Thread
Reply #1
This YJ had more  bootyfab on it than any Jeep I've ever seen. 

Weird tabs added to the knuckles to allow the steering to clear the diff cover. Bolted through the tie rod taper without opening it up, and tack welded to the knuckle without any preheat so it didn't penetrate at all. Just buggers on top of the metal. The "double shear" mount for the drag link actually wasn't connected to the knuckle at all, when I took the bolt out it fell off. 

Rear truss wasn't made for a JK D44 so it was just welded on top of the pumpkin instead of to the tubes. The side pieces were added to it so it would be connected to the tubes.

Overall the welds were just awful. Rear coilover towers were over an inch different in height from the frame and not welded at all on the back side. Rear axle wasn't centered in the wheel well. Wiring was a bird's nest on steroids, fuel cell in the back with the fuel lines run through the passenger compartment. More that I can't remember off the top of my head too. Worst thing is that this was from an off-road shop. Took me about 60 hours of work to pull the booty fab parts off and swap in a set of 1 ton axles that I built up and made trusses for. It's since been lowered about 4" by swapping out the 16" ballistic hybrid shocks for 12" coilovers, the stub shafts I was given to use were not the right size, hence the gloves over the hubs in the pic of it leaving.  Here are a couple after pics:

• cescuzzy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Resident Electrical Wizard (Part-time)
Reply #2
That thing was truly hideous.  Props on restoring it to a respectable state.

-Scuzz
A safety tip in the form of The Seventh Commandment of the Electrical Engineer: Work thou not on energized equipment for if thou doest so, thy friends will surely be buying beers for thy widow and consoling her in certain ways not generally acceptable to thee.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #3
 The beginning was not only scary it was unsafe ! It doesn't look too bad on the way out , though I would still paint over the "nothing fancy"  ;D

• d1backwoods
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • MuyMuy!
Reply #4
ewwwwww beginning reminds me of that Outkast song "Roses"..."smell like boo boo booo yeah"
“Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre” - Chet Atkins
"I wanted to pay for my successes with all my defeats" - dawes

• Hendrix
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #5
Got some booty fab gold today. 

Work hard all week to enjoy the two days in the Sun.

• aw12345
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #7
That looks like redneck Jeepimg at it's finest

• aw12345
  • [*]
  • Staff
Reply #9
Is called a quick axle disconnect, it would actually be fun to see this hillbilly Caddilac out run some fancy rigs

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
That stuff makes you scared realizing there is stuff like that on the road. Jim

• mattamd_xp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
That's crazy stuff right there...

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #12
 No overall pics showing the body? Thats rough looking , but if its just a swamp buggy its sort of understandable.

• RokAddict85
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Mall Crawler
Reply #13
I love the switches inside ha, for the 'lites'

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #14
so much booty! [rockon]