Skip to main content

Topic: New to me Comanche Chief??? Thinking of buying (Read 1630 times)

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
New to me Comanche Chief??? Thinking of buying
So... This is the beauty..

A friend of mine bought it from a junkyard a couple weeks ago with no title.  He has now picked up a few more jeeps and doesnt want to jump into this one.  I am thinking about buying it.  

When we got it back to his house, we fond out it had spark just wasnt getting fuel.  Dropped the tank and found out the in-tank pump appeared to be bad.  Started it with some stuff (cant think of the name right now) by spraying it in the intake.  Fired up perfect.  Filled the clutch reservoir up and the clutch had good pressure.  Trans and tranfer case go thru the motions fine.  

Front axle is garbage because someone tried welding a bunch of stuff on it and didnt know what they were doing.  Rear axle is fine and has been soa but wasnt welded in yet.  Basically, it looks like someone started a project to add a lift and never finished it and let it sit.  

I would be swapping my built axles out of mine to add to this (hp30/rear 44), front control arms and have to change the rear suspension to soa setup, front would get a set of stock JK coils (should net 3" of lift to match rear), my old goodyear kevlar 35s and wheels, fluid change, new fuel pump, and all the cosmetic stuff involved which is sitting in the bed of the truck more or less.  

Then I still have to figure out the title issue because I want to be able to drive this around town if needed and wheel it if I can.  Worst come to worst, I will just rob the transfer case and front axles shafts and junk it I think.
16 Toyota Tacoma, 87 MJ Chief

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Re: New to me Comanche Chief??? Thinking of buying
Reply #1
And the interior is just about perfect and has only 53k original miles.

• mattamd_xp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
If the price is right, sounds like a nice little truck

• cescuzzy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Resident Electrical Wizard (Part-time)
Reply #3

And the interior is just about perfect and has only 53k original miles.

I'd look into the title problem first, but it sounds like a decent idea to pick it up, once again, if the price is right.

-Scuzz
A safety tip in the form of The Seventh Commandment of the Electrical Engineer: Work thou not on energized equipment for if thou doest so, thy friends will surely be buying beers for thy widow and consoling her in certain ways not generally acceptable to thee.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #4

I'd look into the title problem first, but it sounds like a decent idea to pick it up, once again, if the price is right.

-Scuzz

X2 otherwise you're buying a parts rig.

• mattamd_xp
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Most states it isn't super hard to get a replacement title, just takes some time and cost a little bit of $.

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Gotta make sure there are no liens on it or they get passed on. Jim

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #7
I'm waiting at the dmv now. My uncle the sheriff ran the vin and it is not stolen but hasn't been registered since 2000 so his records couldn't get any more info. I'll see what I can get here today and find out how hard it is to get a new title. 

But as a parts rig, it is still a decent price. Much less than I sold my hard top for if that gives you any indication on price.

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #8
Not looking good as of now.  DMV said I would have to track down the original owner and get bills of sale to each one after.... But they couldnt give the last registered owner's name.  Looking into other ways to get this now.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #9

Not looking good as of now.  DMV said I would have to track down the original owner and get bills of sale to each one after.... But they couldnt give the last registered owner's name.  Looking into other ways to get this now.
I paid a title company to straighten out the last bad one I dealt with .

• 91AzXJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
In AZ, they have what's called a bonded title where you purchase a bond worth 2.5 times the value of the vehicle just in case an owner comes out of the woodwork. In your case, it wouldn't cost very much to get the bond.
Loren<br /><br />2K XJ Mine<br />2011 KK Hers<br />04 TJ RIP / 06KJ the kids

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
bonded title or salvage title with the yard's help.

they had to have a title/BOS to accept it
.                                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #12
I got in touch with a title company I have used before.  They said that I could get a Judicial bill of sale with the vin number.  Once they run the vin and make sure there are no liens and such on the vehicle, they can issue me a new title (might be rebuilt or what not).  With that, proof of insurance and my ID I can get it on the road and be completely legal.  It all just matters who you ask sometimes, I guess.

• G Beasley
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Admin
  • Sawzall Surgeon
Reply #13

I got in touch with a title company I have used before.  They said that I could get a Judicial bill of sale with the vin number.  Once they run the vin and make sure there are no liens and such on the vehicle, they can issue me a new title (might be rebuilt or what not).  With that, proof of insurance and my ID I can get it on the road and be completely legal.  It all just matters who you ask sometimes, I guess.
Does this mean I should cancel the red 2 door delivery  ;D

• LowJ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Wheel every damn day.
Reply #14

Does this mean I should cancel the red 2 door delivery  ;D

I dont know what it means...