4.0 vs 5.2

4.0 vs 5.2

• 4.0 and turbo later (or the eaton m90 which I can possibly get cheap locally if it hasn't sold)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 4.0 and build another stroker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stock 4.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

jeepwrangler97

Let's see what you guys think.

I have most of the parts to do a 5.2 swap, including a 5.2 core that I need to rebuild. I just get tempted by all the 4.0s that come up on marketplace for a few hundred bucks.

I could take the 2.5 out and put a running 4.0 in in hardly anytime. then I could boost it or stroke it down the road.

I said on my last 4.6 stroker, I'd do a v8 the next time. I just get tempted by all the 4.0s for sale all the time.

Maybe I just need to order a rebuild kit for the 5.2 and quit looking at marketplace. I'd have to do it the backyard, all the local machine shops are booked through the end of the year (with a possibility of piecemeal work if I bring them bits).

I love the 4.0, but it seems like a lot of work for 2.5-4.0. If you?re gonna swap I?d at least go for the V8, because who doesn?t want a V8 Wrangler.

badmonkey said:
It's hard to argue the 5.2, like you said before!
Texas TJ said:
I love the 4.0, but it seems like a lot of work for 2.5-4.0. If you?re gonna swap I?d at least go for the V8, because who doesn?t want a V8 Wrangler.

Yeah, I think I just need to be patient and get the rest of what I need for the 5.2 together. I have most of what I need.

I love 4.0s. I would do a warmed over 4.0. Fresh build, mild upgraded cam, head work, and rock it. Makes another 40hp so it?s on par with a stock 5.2.

Rucas said:
I love 4.0s. I would do a warmed over 4.0. Fresh build, mild upgraded cam, head work, and rock it. Makes another 40hp so it?s on par with a stock 5.2.

I think it's going to come down to if I find the exact right 4.0 before I get the 5.2 parts I need, I'll do that. If not, I'll stick with the 5.2

Rucas said:
Do t you need computer upgrades to do this though??

Hard Line Rob said:
Do t you need computer upgrades to do this though??

96+ computers (JTEC) can be tuned with hptuners now. For a mild cam and a slightly better flowing head, slightly higher than stock compression and a slight overbore I would think the stock tune would be enough to be driven, it just won?t squeeze every ounce of power unless you properly tune to what the engine wants. Flyinryan tunes strokers on a somewhat frequent basis already with HPT. Idle vacuum with a mild cam should be close to stock so no worries about the map sensor freaking out. A wideband o2 would be nice for more accurate fuel trim adjustments, but again a mildly upgraded 4.0 should not want much different fueling and timing tables than a bone stock 4.0.

Rucas said:
96+ computers (JTEC) can be tuned with hptuners now. For a mild cam and a slightly better flowing head, slightly higher than stock compression and a slight overbore I would think the stock tune would be enough to be driven, it just won?t squeeze every ounce of power unless you properly tune to what the engine wants. Flyinryan tunes strokers on a somewhat frequent basis already with HPT. Idle vacuum with a mild cam should be close to stock so no worries about the map sensor freaking out. A wideband o2 would be nice for more accurate fuel trim adjustments, but again a mildly upgraded 4.0 should not want much different fueling and timing tables than a bone stock 4.0.
What type of power gain are you looking at though?  I?m asking because the bottom end of my motor is the only thing I haven?t replaced or rebuilt. 

Hard Line Rob said:
What type of power gain are you looking at though?  I?m asking because the bottom end of my motor is the only thing I haven?t replaced or rebuilt. 

I would think a good head, mild cam, and slightly higher compression would bump you 40hp easily. I could be wrong though. I haven?t had the chance to build one like that yet- my engine is fresh enough I don?t have to worry about that

Rucas said:
I would think a good head, mild cam, and slightly higher compression would bump you 40hp easily. I could be wrong though. I haven?t had the chance to build one like that yet- my engine is fresh enough I don?t have to worry about that
$3,500 for forty horsepowers doesn?t make sense!

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine