Let's Talk Jeep Trailers

Srfnfly227

So I've gotten to the point where I'd really like to tow the LJ rather than driving it the couple hours each way to the trails. A big limitation for me is that I do not own a pick up and have no desire to purchase one. Our Grand Cherokee is capable of towing 6200 pounds and my LJ weighs about 4000 so I've been looking at aluminum trailers, but really have no idea what things I should be looking for.

What would be the minimum deck size that I would want for the LJ?
Are trailer brakes a nice to have or a must have?
Any downside to aluminum other than cost?
Would you consider a homemade trailer or stick to a manufacturer?

Thanks for the discussion.

With a vehicle that small, trailer brakes would be a must. I couldn’t imagine towing a rig that heavy with a Grand Cherokee, especially with any type of grade. But it should be the lightest trailer you can find.

Our Grand yanks around the LJ on a trailer with zero issues , but it is 5.7. Not sure how the 3.6 would tow it? Maybe flat tow the LJ?

Are you planning on using the trailer for anything besides the LJ? I either use a 22' 14k (around 3k empty) or a 18' 7k trailer that is around 2200lbs. empty. The 14k trailer worked well with a 3/4 truck and being well under the weight limit was nice, but it is a little too much for a 1/2 ton truck or our current Suburban. I'd like to get down to something with a 14' deck and 5k axles. Something like below would be nice, but not very useful for much else.

1000005033.webp

1000005034.webp

Man, we've got a 2013 suburban and it HATES pulling with a steel flatbed and even just a TJ on it. Good call on the aluminum! Maybe that will be the difference! Dont know who said it but hecks yeah to the trailer brake also - game changer! (assuming said trailer has brakes) Some have the surge brake so a trailer brake may not be required.

Good luck Lee!

With a vehicle that small, trailer brakes would be a must. I couldn’t imagine towing a rig that heavy with a Grand Cherokee, especially with any type of grade. But it should be the lightest trailer you can find.

Thanks for the reply. GC is actually rated all the way up to 7400 for the 2WD Diesel or V8. The V6 is 6200 with the full factory tow package. It does require a weight distribution hitch above a certain weight though.

Our Grand yanks around the LJ on a trailer with zero issues , but it is 5.7. Not sure how the 3.6 would tow it? Maybe flat tow the LJ?
That's good to read. Can't find much info on the forums with people towing Jeeps with the GC. I saw one at Oak Ridge last year, but didn't have a chance to talk to the guy about his set up. I don't expect the 3.6 to win any races, but at only about 5500, I would think it would handle it ok.

I don't like the idea of flat towing. I want to be able to put it on a trailer and not worry about it.

Are you planning on using the trailer for anything besides the LJ? I either use a 22' 14k (around 3k empty) or a 18' 7k trailer that is around 2200lbs. empty. The 14k trailer worked well with a 3/4 truck and being well under the weight limit was nice, but it is a little too much for a 1/2 ton truck or our current Suburban. I'd like to get down to something with a 14' deck and 5k axles. Something like below would be nice, but not very useful for much else.

Ideally, I'd be able to put a riding lawn mower on it. Or an aerator if I rent one in the future. But no, there are no definite plans for anything other than the LJ. 14' would be ideal I think (keeps the weight down), but it seems like most people go larger than that. Was wondering if there was a reason.

Man, we've got a 2013 suburban and it HATES pulling with a steel flatbed and even just a TJ on it. Good call on the aluminum! Maybe that will be the difference! Dont know who said it but hecks yeah to the trailer brake also - game changer! (assuming said trailer has brakes) Some have the surge brake so a trailer brake may not be required.

Good luck Lee!

Thanks. Aluminum should be less than 1500 pounds. Hopefully closer to 1000-1200 so with my LJ on it I'm looking at under 5500 total.

Through the reading I've done so far, it appears surge brakes may be a no no with a weight distribution hitch. I'm still really early on in the thought process here (wife isn't on board yet either) so I've got plenty of time to learn more.

I towed with my company truck for a couple years after I started my new job, boss told me to use the truck as my own even after I told him I tow a offroad rig.

It’s a Sierra with the 4.3 V6, slightly better GVWR. It was ok, definitely knew there was a trailer behind you, but I didn’t want to go too far with it and always planned my routes accordingly. It definitely struggled on any grade. The transmission went out on it after a couple years, I’m sure towing didn’t help matters, as trans temps were kinda high, but everything I saw said those trans temperatures were fine.

I was using a 20’ PJ trailer, probably around 2200-2300 lbs give or take and my buggy that’s got to be around the high 3000 lb mark, never weighed it. Before that I towed my YJ which was 4500 lb.

Once I got the 3/4 ton Duramax, it was night and day towing. Don’t even notice the trailer back there. I personally would never want to tow a rig with a 1/2 ton truck again, unless in the Midwest with flat roads.

But again, definitely get the lightest trailer you can get if you insist on towing with the GC. Weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes a must.

Huh, I had to google a weight distribution hitch. I suppose that would be a game changer - if you dont load the trailer right maybe this would make up for it? I have never had one - our camper isnt being enough for one, but I have towed Jeeps for years and didn't die..

Yeah for surge brakes that wouldnt work. My buddy has this crazy expensive flat bed that you can turn the brakes on the tandem, unlock the trailer, then you move your vehicle backwards and the tandem on the trailer stays put but the flat bed tilts backwards. Freakin crazy. Here nor there, just saying.

I picked up a weight distribution hitch used locally and use it when I had a half ton truck and now the Suburban. Farm next door has a truck scale, so I measure my weights with that and then paint the trailer for where the Jeep belongs. I'm not sure an aluminum trailer is worth the couple hundred pounds, I've seen a couple develop cracks. Here's my TJ on the 18' trailer. Trailer axles had 5720 on them and the truck picked up 700 lbs. of tongue weight. I haven't scaled it again with the new axles. There is 800 lbs. difference between the two trailers I use.

20191013_183122.webp

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine