Fall Beach Run on the Outer Banks

The group camping at Oregon Inlet is officially reserved for Thursday 10/9 through Sunday 10/12.  I can always call back to cancel, but I thought it best to reserve the spot.  It is three sites together with extra space behind it.  There is a two vehicle limit at each campsite, so only six Jeeps can park right at the group site, but there are some overflow spaces very close by, massive amounts of parking available at the nearby marina right across the street (with 24/7 surveillance), or the option of paying for additional campsites.  The office closes at 4:30, but the very nice park ranger said we could always stop in to pay in the morning if we show up late for whatever reason.  Charcoal or gas grilling is permitted, but no wood fires.  

ShaunSweeney date=1400132061 said:
Thanks Anabelle.  I think the fire permit is mandatory for this group.  Jeeps, booze, food, and fire...what more could one ask for?!

And speaking of fires, I may have spoken too soon - they have a fire warning in effect because of the wind, so no beach fire right there.  But we could drive two miles away where it is allowed!  How about a sunset ride on the beach, a campfire (with marshmallows of course!), and a night drive back to the campsite?  

Sundowner date=1400155523 said:
Boobs. 8)

I'll be sure to pack mine...    😉

Annabelle said:
And speaking of fires, I may have spoken too soon - they have a fire warning in effect because of the wind, so no beach fire right there.  But we could drive two miles away where it is allowed!  How about a sunset ride on the beach, a campfire (with marshmallows of course!), and a night drive back to the campsite? 

This is a good idea.

Annabelle said:
I'll be sure to pack mine...    😉

This is a better idea.  😀

Annabelle date=1400193962 said:
The group camping at Oregon Inlet is officially reserved for Thursday 10/9 through Sunday 10/12.  I can always call back to cancel, but I thought it best to reserve the spot.  It is three sites together with extra space behind it.  There is a two vehicle limit at each campsite, so only six Jeeps can park right at the group site, but there are some overflow spaces very close by, massive amounts of parking available at the nearby marina right across the street (with 24/7 surveillance), or the option of paying for additional campsites.  The office closes at 4:30, but the very nice park ranger said we could always stop in to pay in the morning if we show up late for whatever reason.  Charcoal or gas grilling is permitted, but no wood fires.  

And speaking of fires, I may have spoken too soon - they have a fire warning in effect because of the wind, so no beach fire right there.  But we could drive two miles away where it is allowed!  How about a sunset ride on the beach, a campfire (with marshmallows of course!), and a night drive back to the campsite?  

Woah!  This lady doesn't mess around.  Jenn will be checking her work calendar and I will mine.  Hopefully this will be in the stars for us.  Sounds fantastic!!  Thanks for picking this up Annabelle.  8)

-This sounds like a great idea!

-You are awesome lol

I suspect they were referring to Oregon Inlet below the high tide mark ?

G Beasley date=1400241290 said:
I suspect they were referring to Oregon Inlet below the high tide mark ?

The ranger said you could have a beach fire at Coquina Beach, which is 2 miles North.  I didn't ask about the tide mark, but you could be right.  The road to Bodie Island Lighthouse is right at Coquina, and I haven't seen that lighthouse yet.  That could be a fun side trip!?!

Also Manteo and Nags Head aren't far (about 15 minutes), if someone wants to hang out where the Jeep fun will be happening but just isn't into camping.

Annabelle date=1400544105 said:
The ranger said you could have a beach fire at Coquina Beach, which is 2 miles North.  I didn't ask about the tide mark, but you could be right.  The road to Bodie Island Lighthouse is right at Coquina, and I haven't seen that lighthouse yet.  That could be a fun side trip!?!
Coquina has really nice showers , and is a nice pebbly beach . All fires are supposed to be below the high tide mark , been that way for years. Bodie Island (pronounced Body ) is a nice lighthouse to visit . Not sure if it will be open to climb , but if it is the views are amazing .

Annabelle date=1400544105 said:
Also Manteo and Nags Head aren't far (about 15 minutes), if someone wants to hang out where the Jeep fun will be happening but just isn't into camping.
Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills are where you will find most of the good restaurants . For the love of all thats holy do not drive on the Outer Banks with even one beer in you ... it is the DUI capital of the US .

ShaunSweeney date=1400611600 said:
Good info on the Nazis....I mean police. Not worth the hassle even if you're under the legal limit.
They are nuts over the drinking , and I want to be able to say I havent had anything to drink and go on my way .

Update: We haven't done much more solid planning since we got the reservations taken care of, but I wanted to let everyone know that we're doing some web-browsing to scope out the area in regards to activities and amenities, in order to generate an expected/anticipated trip cost; it kind of helps to have budget information beforehand.  If anyone is definitely planning on attending, let me know via PM so I can get a solid head-count and know what kind of attendance we might expect.  👍

We are tentatively planning to attend, though can't make any promises yet.  There are only a gazillion things that will happen between now and then with work and such.   :D

ShaunSweeney date=1401347080 said:

And responded-to!  Thanks!

badmonkey said:
We are tentatively planning to attend, though can't make any promises yet.  There are only a gazillion things that will happen between now and then with work and such.  :D

Yeah, it's a long way out, I know...I'm just trying to line up all the ducks before it gets any later in the summer.  I'll put...two, I suppose?...down for you nonetheless, and you can correct me if that changes in any way.  👍

G Beasley said:
I should be able to make it unless work gives me a 24 hour notice to fly to Florida again ...

I know your schedule is a bitch, but I'll plan on you and Kimbo and the fungi attending unless you tell me otherwise.  😉

Sundowner date=1401420778 said:
I know your schedule is a bitch, but I'll plan on you and Kimbo and the fungi attending unless you tell me otherwise.  😉
We will do our best to make it . Might even bring a bunch of Jeep-Owner.com hoodies to give away  😀

badmonkey date=1401449118 said:
Two for sure, maybe a mini-me in the mix as well....to be seen..... 😀

I'll count that as 2.5, then.  😀

G Beasley said:
We will do our best to make it . Might even bring a bunch of Jeep-Owner.com hoodies to give away  😀

That's a good plan, and I'm glad to be a part of it; I'm bringing a few Sputniks, and maybe even a Monkey Trophy.  😉

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine