Jeep Purchase Dilemma

en480c4

So, it looks like I?ve lined up a buyer for my LJ. I love it, and will be sad to see it go. But between wanting more time to work on the Willys with my  father, limited dexterity due to my unsuccessful finger surgery and taking a new job that will require me to drive a lot more (and leave me with less free time, too), it?s the right time. 

That said, I?m struggling a bit with which direction I want to go with its replacement  I found two very different options, but am hoping to hear some feedback.

Options 1 is an AEV built JKU JK350 Rubicon (2015, <20k miles).

Option 2 is any number of 2 door JL Rubicons available for the same money with the same miles.

I don?t need the 4 door, though the extra space is nice. The JKU is largely turn-key, which is very appealing right now. But a 2 door JL Rubicon with the steel bumper group wouldn?t need much, either.  I prefer the looks of the JL, but an AEV jK addresses many of my issues with the JK (new hood, grille hidden by bumper/winch/lights). I?ve also had multiple JKs, which is nice since they?re a known quantity, but there?s a lot to like about what the JL brings to the discussion. 

So, for those who have spent time with both, any thoughts?

I was going to say the same thing. Having spent time around friends JK/JKUs and in my JT I wouldn?t even consider a JK for daily driving.

I figured a test drive would be the same for me. But I wanted to hear some longer-term experience since I would probably be dazzled by the newness coming from an ?05!

I wasn?t really wanting another JK? Been there, done that. But the full AEV build is definitely a high point for them, for me anyway. It definitely was making me think twice about the JL, but I think I?m looking forward to the newer model.

Thanks for the input!

If you don't need the 4 door, my vote is JL. I was never a fan of the JK either and it seems like everything I didn't like got fixed with the JL. Plus if it's stock, you can build it the way you want over time. Lots of advantages to that over buying the AEV build that you probably wouldn't want to change.

Sold my TJ, went to look at a lifted JKU rubi with fox shocks, ended up with the stock JLU sport parked next to it.  The amount of improvements they made is impressive, I am super happy with it, and I enjoy doing the minor bolt on stuff to make it what I want.

RokAddict85 said:
Sold my TJ, went to look at a lifted JKU rubi with fox shocks, ended up with the stock JLU sport parked next to it.  The amount of improvements they made is impressive, I am super happy with it, and I enjoy doing the minor bolt on stuff to make it what I want.
. The JL?s abs JT?s ride like a grand it?s pretty unbelievable.

So, last buyer fell through but I have someone driving from NY to buy the Jeep tomorrow. If that works out I?ll start the process on a 2018 JL Rubicon with around 9k miles!

Thanks again for all the input.

Srfnfly227 said:
Mind saying what you sold the LJ for?

Not at all. Asking $16k, he?s offered $15.5k which I?ll take. Miles are right (49k) and it?s solid, but it needs a lot of loose ends cleaned up. I just don?t have a lot of time or desire. It?s not sold until I get that cash in hand, though!

And it?s gone! Definitely sad to see it go? Love LJ?s but this seems like the right move for me now. I?m too soft in my old age to daily a 15 year old vehicle, I guess!

Well, just purchased this. Trying Vroom. Delivery in 7-14 days. 2018 with 8k miles.

Attachments

• BBA8272F-1847-4129-B76E-21B9CD34DFEB.webp
    BBA8272F-1847-4129-B76E-21B9CD34DFEB.webp
    67.7 KB · Views: 57
G Beasley said:
That didn?t take long!

They knocked a grand off it last week, and another grand off it Thursday night. So I figured if I didn?t, someone else would.  The only nice-to-haves it didn?t come with are matched flares, the 8.4? screen or dual tops. Otherwise it?s just how I would?ve ordered it, Sting Gray 6 speed with cold weather, LED, and steel bumper groups and the premium soft top.  And someone already swapped out the red dash trim!

Still haven?t test-driven a JL yet, but considering this will be Jeep #15, I don?t have many doubts. Chance favors the bold!

G Beasley said:
I drove the gladiator 150 miles today and it was smooth as could be.

I test drove one last week and this statement couldn?t be more true. I haven?t driven a JL but the JT was smooth as glass.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine