Just when we all thought soft lines are safe

badmonkey

Haxxor
Staff member
Current offroad community thinking tells us soft recovery lines lack the deadly attributes steel cables and components possess. Last summer some young, mildly smug military wheelers proclaimed soft lines "are fully superior" to steel lines.

No, they aren't. Drag soft lines across sharp rocks like those in Uwharrie a few times and let's talk. The point being very few, if any trades, are fully superior in every way. Higher costs for a product mostly superior is itself a demerit. Even if we all agree it's completely worth the increased cost, it is still a downside.

Let's also address the fact stupidity is always a factor. It is a factor capable of mitigating nearly any failsafe. And yes, the following scenario contains it's fair share.

Nonetheless, the scenario proves it is possible to cause damage, injury, or death in fashions similar to steel cable failure. We've been told repeatedly soft rope can't or won't whip forcibly like steel cable. In this case a soft rope whipped right through a windshield. Somewhat safer? Sure. But it is not the magic bullet we've been told.

That was a kinetic rope used in a wrong application. If they used the proper rigging that wouldn’t have happened.

That was a kinetic rope used in a wrong application. If they used the proper rigging that wouldn’t have happened.
Agreed, along with several other stupids. Still, it proves there are conditions where rope can be dangerous. It may not just fall to the ground as described.

Agreed, along with several other stupids. Still, it proves there are conditions where rope can be dangerous. It may not just fall to the ground as described.

That’s my point tho. Kinetic rope isn’t supposed to be used like that. So it’s not surprising that happened. Its whole point is to stretch and yank someone out in the right application. Or an easy tow out of the woods.

Typical winch rope when it breaks does mostly fall to the ground. I’ve been around countess winch rope breaking. Only once did it fling back, but not at a deadly rate.

a 'running start' like that is NEVER a good idea, from what I've observed. Regardless of what type of cable/rope/strap you're using.
They make stretchy tow straps for that. They work like a giant rubber band. I have one, works decent enough. Still wouldn't let some jackleg full throttle a 392 on it. It's meant for moderate momentum.

It's all about purpose, and yeah, this thread and his vid all clearly state the soft rope was outside it's intended use. Definitely the wrong application, 100%. That point was not only never disputed, but in fact highlightes. The point here is it is possible to create a bad scenario despite marketing claims and/or conventional wisdom.

Backing up over top of the rope and then spinning the tires to get a running start, what could go wrong?

Somebody gave me one of those Amazon shackles as a gift. It doesn't get used for anything more than pulling a kid on a sled or a 90cc 4 wheeler.

The bumper on the Bronco didn't fair too well either.

I just saw a post on FB with speed vs. load ratings for kinetic ropes. It was eye opening to say the least on the speed you need vs. the ropes rating/ diameter. I don’t remember it verbatim but I eyed in on the size I have. 3/4” no greater than 15 mph for the tugging vehicle speed.
A kinetic rope is different than soft rope as well. You also need to pay attention to what you are rigging your soft shackles to. I didn’t and ruined one on the first use in a not very extreme situation.
483F53C1-60C6-4E2F-87F3-6471097A90A0.webp
553B94DB-3E8A-4296-866E-C83FC3F47E3A.webp

I learned my lesson and put a slight radius on the clevis mounts on my Next Venture Fab bumper. I should probably hit them a little more now that I look at the photo😎
CABD9367-2BC3-4F43-9E76-547AAAF23C3D.webp

But a removed all metal from my rigging, except for my snatch block donut.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine