Let's Talk Soft Tops

Srfnfly227

Well the time has come to replace to factory soft top on my LJ. I have been putting it off for a few years since I really like the khaki (which they don't make anymore), but it tore itself apart last week when putting it back down. Now I am trying to decide what to replace it with.

I am deciding between the Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-top and the full Supertop NX. Sailcloth is not available with the frame.

I am leaning toward the Supertop as my Jeep is not my daily driver and it comes with a new frame. My factory frame works, but isn't 100% after 15 years of use. Does anybody have experience with these that can say whether the Sailcloth is worth reusing my factory frame?

Just an FYI... it appears Bestop is now putting a giant logo above the back window. It is not a great look.

Found online:
AFAF8677-85B4-4E37-A8FB-377C4801AB7F.webp

I like the factory door surrounds and frame , but if yours is rough then there?s your answer.

I don?t like the best top logo out back.

en480c4 said:
Just an FYI... it appears Bestop is now putting a giant logo above the back window. It is not a great look.

Found online:
View attachment 134888

That?s awful. Not sure it?s enough for me to risk another brand though  :-\

G Beasley said:
I like the factory door surrounds and frame , but if yours is rough then there?s your answer.

My door surrounds are perfect. Frame works, but a few connections are loosening up a bit and one of the sun rider slider things is cracked.

I think I?m just going to buy the full replacement. Seems easier, is barely more expensive, and with how I use my Jeep, it will should be fine for me as long as it?s waterproof.

I hear you... I know the Rampage Tops are junk but this is still hard to pass up to have an emergency replacement in hand. My frame is probably an 8/10, so Now that I?ve sold the hard top, there would be some comfort in having a back up.

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-99635-oem-replacement-for-soft-upper-doors

I know you want framed, but I'll just throw my 2 cents in and say I loved my frameless bestop soft top. Didn't have any leaks, and actually had less wind noise compared to my original one.

Ordered my new full replacement Bestop today. One of the guys in my club gets us a discount so delivered price is $919. Here's to hoping I get one from before they started sticking the label on the back.

Srfnfly227 said:
Ordered my new full replacement Bestop today. One of the guys in my club gets us a discount so delivered price is $919. Here's to hoping I get one from before they started sticking the label on the back.

That?s a great price! Nicely done.

Srfnfly227 said:
So painful to buy a new top , but that smell is priceless! I believe I would have to sharpie away a little of the bestop logo.

Long story short, the full replacement wasn?t going to ship for at least another week from today and I needed it for a wheeling trip next weekend. Canceled that order and got the sailcloth replace a top.

The entire install including removing my old top from the frame took a little over an hour. Not bad for working by myself. Unfortunately it does have the new logo. It?s going to take me a while to get used to the black.

Attachments

• 4BD4D116-7E14-4E5D-8D22-D635424E15E8.webp
    4BD4D116-7E14-4E5D-8D22-D635424E15E8.webp
    324.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 89349A84-D0CD-4B77-9397-66C29C721EEB.webp
    89349A84-D0CD-4B77-9397-66C29C721EEB.webp
    204.9 KB · Views: 67
Follow up with this. I?m really disappointed with the soft top. It?s really thin and there?s lots of road noise from the flapping since it?s so loose. I need to contact Bestop to see if there?s anything I can do to correct this.

This is every time it rains.

Attachments

• F6F768B3-44C9-48CC-AD79-5BF667B5F904.webp
    F6F768B3-44C9-48CC-AD79-5BF667B5F904.webp
    209.3 KB · Views: 52
Srfnfly227 said:
Follow up with this. I?m really disappointed with the soft top. It?s really thin and there?s lots of road noise from the flapping since it?s so loose. I need to contact Bestop to see if there?s anything I can do to correct this.

That?s a bummer ?

Srfnfly227 said:

Tome to kick Amy?s car out of the garage! 

Hard Line Rob said:
Tome to kick Amy?s car out of the garage!

Not an option  🙁  New house has a small one car garage which is being used for normal garage storage. We plan to build a detached, but that's probably 2 years from being complete.

Srfnfly227 said:
Not an option  🙁  New house has a small one car garage which is being used for normal garage storage. We plan to build a detached, but that's probably 2 years from being complete.

Build sooner than later , materials are forecast to be up 25% next year.

G Beasley said:
Build sooner than later , materials are forecast to be up 25% next year.

We?ll build as soon as we can. Unfortunately won?t be until Spring 2023 at the earliest. Finances just won?t be there until then.

Srfnfly227 said:
We?ll build as soon as we can. Unfortunately won?t be until Spring 2023 at the earliest. Finances just won?t be there until then.
Maybe a new president / pending leadership turnover will help correct the market.

Well I finally reached out to Bestop and here is their answer.

?Thank you.  Unfortunately, just like the rest of our softtops water will pool on the tops.  What I do is after it rains or snows is go out and push off the snow or I will push up in the middle of my top and let the water run off. 
Thank you,

Bestop Customer Service Representative
800-845-3567?

Srfnfly227 said:
Well I finally reached out to Bestop and here is their answer.

?Thank you.  Unfortunately, just like the rest of our softtops water will pool on the tops.  What I do is after it rains or snows is go out and push off the snow or I will push up in the middle of my top and let the water run off. 
Thank you,

Bestop Customer Service Representative
800-845-3567?
Thats not true , my old bestop which is still on my LJ doesnt pool water at all? And its been outside the last two big storms.

Yeah I'm really disappointing with the answer. Considering the market this as the OEM replacement, I would have thought it would be much higher quality.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine