New to me TJ

Todd and I decided to play a little hooky and take off Friday afternoon to run a local trail called Log Corral.
IMG_7129.webp

As we were leaving town the rain started to come in trying to ruin our plans!

He was running a few minutes behind and I had an idea and told him to grab a tarp. The last time I camped out there my daughter and I found a little spot that I thought might give us some shelter!
IMG_7121.webp

IMG_4496.webp

Luckily the rain was intermittent and not very heavy, although persistent! Camp was set up, wood gathered, cut and burned to allow steaks to be cooked on a hot rock. Yum!

IMG_4514.webp

IMG_4520.webp

After a lazy morning tearing down camp allowing the morning sun to dry out our gear, we set out to run the very short and scenic trail. However the last guy in the very large group in front of us blew out his steering on the first obstacle…

IMG_4561.webp

They moved their rigs to the side of the very narrow trail and let us and a small group of sxs’s by. We got another 1/4 mile down the trail and one, and only one, of their rigs were sitting right in the middle of the road. We successfully got myself and the SxS’s past the rig, but Todd got hung up on her tire.

I ran back 1/3 of a mile to ask for her keys so her vehicle could be moved to the side so traffic could get by, being that it was a very popular out and back trail… She didn’t take kindly to us “rubbing her tires” and that we lacked “trail etiquette” and should have waited or come to get her. Anyway she mostly moved to the side so we could get by just as 5-6 other rigs were coming down hill…

We turned around shortly afterwards and headed out before we were trapped by the broken rig trying to limp up the trail.

IMG_4586.webp

IMG_7135.webp

IMG_7136.webp

Sure as shit, when we passed them they had “repaired” the sheared steering column shaft by sleeping it with a socked and JB Weld… using our newly acquired lesson of “trail etiquette” we stopped 50yds ahead in a wide area and made some sandwiches, and went back to see how far they made it before the repair failed.

Shortly, 2-3’ after the second obstacle on the trail they broke the repair and were trying to winch off to the side to make repairs.

We hung out and helped get them out of the way and then headed home.
IMG_4642.webp

Good times!

IMG_7146.webp

Attachments

• IMG_7118.webp
    IMG_7118.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
In Jeep mods news I decided to make use of the slats in my new tailgate table to make my loppers, folding saw and “stove” more accessible and out of the Malay. Especially after having to get to gear while it was raining, having to sift through stuff to get something off the bottom meant getting wet!

I situated everything so I could still use my stove without removing anything and even drilled a new hole for it near the edge just in case.
IMG_7174.jpeg

A keen eye will see that I had to lop my loppers to fit inside the bottom… they still extend enough to cut 1” branches.

The Velcro cuffs I found lay flat enough to not impede on the flat surface of the table too much.

IMG_7175.jpeg

I still want to add some fasteners to the grommets on the Velcro cuffs to keep them in place and prevent annoying rattles.

IMG_7166.webp
IMG_7167.webp
I also did some work on my camping table. The plastic plugs were constantly trying to leave the chat…. So I glued those in and also added a hole for my burner so I can use it away from the Jeep if needed.

Jeep died while driving.
Cranks but won’t start.
I checked fuses/ relays
Pulled fuel line connection at the rail. It barely pukes when primed and no fuel while cranking.

Bad pump?? Or is that normal because engine vacuum will tell it to send fuel?

Any ideas from the masses??

IMG_7267.webp

Check power at the pump. It's unusual for it to die when running, but it's possible. Anyway, if the pump plug has power it tells the tale.

Check power at the pump. It's unusual for it to die when running, but it's possible. Anyway, if the pump plug has power it tells the tale.
Yes power at the pump. It primes but barely Rucas suggested checking pressure so I’ll do that next.

As of now it’s not putting out much fuel.
IMG_7271.webp

That’s all I got from two priming sessions and ~5 seconds of cranking.

Yes power at the pump. It primes but barely Rucas suggested checking pressure so I’ll do that next.

As of now it’s not putting out much fuel. View attachment 66271

That’s all I got from two priming sessions and ~5 seconds of cranking.

Ok so learning from that video and a couple other videos.

I checked for fuel pressure ✔️

I decided to try and replace the camshaft position sensor… no change, it just cranked like before. ✔️

A couple years ago I had the camshaft sensor replaced as preventative maintenance, because it was accessible when the transmission was swapped over. Well he gave me my old part back to keep in my trail bag, so I swapped that back in and it fired right up!!!

Soooo I’m not sure if the moral of this story is to not fix it till it breaks???

Oh well at least I was able to do all this in my garage and not on the trail or side of the road.

I also learned a little bit about diagnosing crank/ no start issues so I guess this was a winning, although tedious learning experience.

Ps. I do not see how you can get to the CPS without a body lift?!?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine