Pearl: The Unicorn XJ

Buddy_Holly

So I bought an XJ 😀

As most of you know my YJ has been struggling to endure daily driver duties as of recent. With every failure and breakage the idea of a daily driver sounded smarter and smarter. Most recently the #4 cylinder injector circuit threw a fit. The wiring harness and/or pcm was determined to be junk after days of diagnosis.

Dejected and angry I started looking around for a comanche for cheap and decided for convenience and price an XJ would be a better option. [member=518]SchochAuto[/member] bought this XJ off Craigslist to fix up and put on the lot. I have never seen one in this particular combination so a deal was struck up.

I now introduce to you Pearl. Pearl is a 1997 two door XJ 4x4 with 306,000 miles, a blown up 2.5, AX5, HP30 and 29 spline C8.25 with 4.10 gears. She even has air conditioning. I have only seen one other xj with this odd combination. The interior is a bit rough and wreaks of cigarettes but overall she is a solid jeep and worth saving.

Will continue in the next post

EDIT 9/5/17 I will try and keep a current picture up to show before and after

Attachments

• 0417171720.webp
    0417171720.webp
    49 KB · Views: 139
  • 2003A8E9-B329-466E-BAFF-B79FB02B4855.webp
    2003A8E9-B329-466E-BAFF-B79FB02B4855.webp
    361.1 KB · Views: 14
The plan is simple. I have a YJ with a low mileage drivetrain and a wiring issue and an xj that needs an engine. The YJ will donate the engine and transmission to the xj and I have a parts xj behind the shop with a super clean interior to swap in.

This is going to be a simple mild XJ that I can drive to school and back in comfort during the week and use for adventures on the weekend. The end goal is a 31" tire, minimal lift and some expo-oriented upgrades. This is the type of rig I want to use on long distance expoing and camping trips since I can comfortably sleep in the back and still haul all of my gear. This is what I would like to call OEM plus: close to stock with subtle upgrades that don't scream out at you.

I will be getting on this pretty soon and hope to have it running and reliable enough to drive to Boston before the end of may. Stay tuned! 😉

Wow. Didnt know that was an option.  I just assumed that they all came 3.55s. Ive been lookimg for a hp d30 for alittle while. I kmow what im gonna ne keeping an eye out for. 😀

PineyXJ said:
Wow. Didnt know that was an option.  I just assumed that they all came 3.55s. Ive been lookimg for a hp d30 for alittle while. I kmow what im gonna ne keeping an eye out for. 😀

Most if not all 4 cylinder xjs had them. Good luck

I like the plan. But some how "mild" and "subtle upgrades that don't scream at you" generally don't fit the the Rucas line of duty. It is a unique xj from the factory

bobthetj03 said:
Is the YJ headed for the bone yard?

It should be, but as Beasley said it is getting repowered

jrainman13 said:
I like the plan. But some how "mild" and "subtle upgrades that don't scream at you" generally don't fit the the Rucas line of duty. It is a unique xj from the factory

This one may get a rear bumper, sliders and some notch flares. Trying to keep it stockish looking though. The YJ is my obnoxious vehicle 😀

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine