Project "Single Barrel" An LJ build

jeepster1407

Well here she is! My new to me LJ. This will be my 4th and hopefully last build thread (at least for SEVERAL years). I chose the name for two reasons... One, who doesn't like Jack Daniels Single Barrel whiskey and two, after I got home i was doing the typical wash and cleaning of a newly purchased vehicle and found a 12 ga shotgun shell in between the backseat and fender well. This build will be a little slow as I'm ALMOST finished building my house and most of the time now is spent on that. Anyways below are the specs as it sat when I picked it up on 6/28/15 ... Enjoy

[size=12pt]2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ

- 4.0 / 42rle (automatic) / 231J / Hard Top
         - New 33x10.5x15 BFG All terrains
         - 15x8 Eagle Alloy wheels
         - ARB Front Deluxe bull bar bumper with winch mount
         - Warn 9.5ti
         - 2.5" RC progressive springs
         - .75" spacers up front
         - Unknown brand rear track bar relocation bracket
         - Custom Camouflage interior (Visors, Console lid, Seats)
         - Kenwood Headunit
         - Quadratec floor mats (front, rear, cargo)

[/size]

Now onto the pics

2006 LJ by jeepster1407, on Flickr

Untitled by jeepster1407, on Flickr

Untitled by jeepster1407, on Flickr

It has Glossy fender flares so i was beginning to wonder if it was a Sahara when I first saw the pictures . There is no sticker on it anywhere so i'm not sure. I have requested a build sheet from Jeep but haven't seen it yet either.

The first order of business will be to sell the ARB bull bar bumper and try and find a more minimalist style bumper I like for the front. I will also be looking for a soft top. Once that is done I'll look into a different lift kit and a 1" BL to make room for some 35's. I have recently read a post that Rock Krawler's TJ/LJ springs are now Triple rate but I have yet to give them a call to confirm. I'll be looking for some 3.5" springs to swap out the saggy RC lift that's under it now.

It's not a Sahara. Painted wheel flares was an option on LJs, which is the case with yours. Same way with the Silver dash bezels and the chrome grill cover.

Nice looking LJ, very clean.  👍

Jankoid said:
It's not a Sahara. Painted wheel flares was an option on LJs, which is the case with yours. Same way with the Silver dash bezels and the chrome grill cover.

Nice looking LJ, very clean.  👍

Ohh... thanks for that tidbit of information.

Its going, the chrome overlay is going, the tires and wheels are going, the seat covers are going, the lift kit is going... it may be easier to list whats staying.

I'm in the boat that the ARB bumper is the greatest full width bumper out there. 

So, what are the plans for the suspension?  I've heard good things about the RC 2.5 springs for travel purposes.

jdunk813 said:
I'm in the boat that the ARB bumper is the greatest full width bumper out there.

So, what are the plans for the suspension?  I've heard good things about the RC 2.5 springs for travel purposes.

My brother has them on his TJ and there awesome. right now its sitting like 2" lower in the front than in the rear. It may be because of the big front bumper though. I do agree it is a Super nice full width bumper but I want light weight and narrow.

Tonellin said:
Nice and clean, looks like it's in great shape.  Was the transfer case drop necessary for vibes?

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm not sure on the T-case lowering kit... It was on it when I bought it.

jeepster1407 date=1435755030 said:
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm not sure on the T-case lowering kit... It was on it when I bought it.
hmm I would remove it and go for a spin, generally the LJ's don't need a t-case drop for around 3" of lift because of the longer driveshaft.  I'm thinking the PO just installed everything that came with the kit - worst case scenario you reinstall a t-case drop of only a few washers in height and not the full 1"

Nice looking LJ!
Have fun modifying it to your liking. 
Good call on ditching the ARB bumper, although hell for stout, the look doesn't appeal to me either. 

I think I'll take it off and see how it drives. Also I just got off the phone with Northridge4x4 and they confirmed that the Front Rock Krawler springs for TJ/LJ's are now Triple rate. Very soon all their springs will be. I want to try the 3.5" springs on mine.

On another note does anyone have any experience with the Crawler Conceptz skinny series front bumper for a TJ/LJ?

No experience with that brand, but it looks pretty straight forward and clean. One of my personal favorites is Motobilt's version. Barnes make a similar one as well, all about the same price point.

http://www.motobilt.com/jeep-yj-tj-competition-front-bumper.html

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Front-Stubby-Bumper-with-Bull-Bar_p_367.html

jeepster1407 date=1435774082 said:
I think I'll take it off and see how it drives. Also I just got off the phone with Northridge4x4 and they confirmed that the Front Rock Krawler springs for TJ/LJ's are now Triple rate. Very soon all their springs will be. I want to try the 3.5" springs on mine.

On another note does anyone have any experience with the Crawler Conceptz skinny series front bumper for a TJ/LJ?
No experience with the TJ stuff from Shad but the JK stuff is pure beef. Great tolerances and very well made. My buddy is sponsored by them and has everything they make for a JK and I helped install it all...

jeepster1407 date=1435774082 said:

We don't stock any of the TJ stuff but if it's like the JK product you won't be disappointed. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine