Rolling the Dice on a Sting Gray JLR

G Beasley said:
Sad to hear that they  have not gotten their issues taken care of yet. Are you making payments on it?

I am? And based on what I?ve found online, there are limited options available to me.  I?ll have to drive it on the expired tags Monday to get to work. Fingers crossed.

TX will only do 3 temp tags after the first 45 day plate. So once I get the next temp tag, they?ll have 30 days to get it squared away or I?ll really be screwed. I?m driving it 6 miles to my folks? place in the morning and I?ll drive my father?s JK to and from work for the next few days, anyway.

Well, bypassed Vroom and went straight to the company they have handle the registrations.  The guy wasn't supposed to deal with me directly, but once he heard my tale of woe, he took care of things.

Vroom basically lied to me, and had taken no action with the revised paperwork required.  They told me on multiple occasions that paperwork had been sent on 12/17 and I should receive my registration by the end of the year.  That was not true, and nobody was doing anything to move this forward. 

I got the Jeep registered Monday and inspected yesterday.  And to add a little humor to this, after the temp tag expired back on 12/20, I just received FedEx notification that a new TX temp tag from Vroom will be delivered today.  Thanks guys.

G Beasley said:
Vroom is teh debil?

I certainly wouldn't buy from them again!  Incompetence is one thing.  The outright lying about their incompetence is another.

Now hopefully moving on to happier Jeep developments ahead.  At this point I'm holding off on anything major until it needs (or I can justify) new tires.  At that point I'm leaning heavily towards the AEV 2.5" lift and 37's.  Not sure the budget will allow at that point, but I'd love to get a pair of AEV Savegre II's painted bronze on the Jeep as well. 

en480c4 said:
I certainly wouldn't buy from them again!  Incompetence is one thing.  The outright lying about their incompetence is another.

Now hopefully moving on to happier Jeep developments ahead.  At this point I'm holding off on anything major until it needs (or I can justify) new tires.  At that point I'm leaning heavily towards the AEV 2.5" lift and 37's.  Not sure the budget will allow at that point, but I'd love to get a pair of AEV Savegre II's painted bronze on the Jeep as well.

I love the Savegres not sure about the II's yet .

And did you say bronzeish Savegre?

Attachments

• 3354318C-8664-4BBB-9C6A-A343954AC6B4.webp
    3354318C-8664-4BBB-9C6A-A343954AC6B4.webp
    390.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DF93FE9C-C1F9-485B-8C39-C4BEB39E3B09.webp
    DF93FE9C-C1F9-485B-8C39-C4BEB39E3B09.webp
    233.2 KB · Views: 9
Still not doing a whole lot to the JLR. Probably looking at tires this time next year, and with that comes the timing for the whole package.

Ordered the Saginaw steering conversion for the Willys from Herm the Overdrive Guy. Still need to source a replacement column. A previous owner hacked the original pretty bad, and it?s not salvageable. But looking forward to wrapping up steering and brakes to make it a legitimate roller again.

We also got one of the cab corners welded in on the Willys this morning. Just took our time getting the repair panel from Walck?s trimmed up, and used the cut-offs as backers. Then just tack, tack, tack until it was all set. The plan will be to do the cowl and rocker on the same side and then move over to the other.

Progress has been slow as of late? Projects around the house took priority.  But it feels good to start the cab moving in the right direction.

Welding and grinding done?

616F7451-6AEC-43E7-AEC8-115587C98C04.webp

With some primer?

0981BF8C-8664-45A1-BDA0-9DE48AEFE4CF.webp

F724F945-FB56-4F6B-919A-F9723A7740A0.webp

No need to post pics any closer than that until body work is further along!

Not sure when I?ll have the time, but I picked up some 3/4? rear spacers to eliminate the 2-door JL reverse rake. And I found a hell of a deal on some BORA 1.25? wheel spacers which will tweak the stance but keep the tires under the flares. Looking forward to some subtle changes until I can justify something bigger next year when it needs new tires.

The hard part will be controlling myself when the time comes.  I know 35's are all the tire I'll ever need, but that doesn't change the want for 37's... They just look so good!

Got the lower section of the DS cowl in this morning. Good to see some more progress.

44894295-76F7-471F-90CD-C807941E5FBE.webp

29351B44-457A-4B0B-AAC9-73C44D638437.webp

Also tried mocking up the Saginaw conversion kit from Herm the Overdrive Guy. Thinking we got the wrong one since it?s not even close to fitting on the frame between the shock and engine mounts.

en480c4 said:
Not sure when I?ll have the time, but I picked up some 3/4? rear spacers to eliminate the 2-door JL reverse rake. And I found a hell of a deal on some BORA 1.25? wheel spacers which will tweak the stance but keep the tires under the flares. Looking forward to some subtle changes until I can justify something bigger next year when it needs new tires.

So, I thought I found a great deal (I didn't need) for a Teraflex 1.5" ST-1 lift, Falcon 2.1 shocks and front LCAs.  Turns out when the lift was pulled by the seller to go bigger, multiple shocks, if not blown, were leaking.  Ultimately, new tires are probably not going to be a thing until this time next year, so I guess this not happening isn't the worst thing.  So I regrouped.

I don't love the floaty stock Rubicon shocks and have been keeping an eye out for options.  Today I ended up getting a set of like-new take-off 392 Mopar/Fox shocks for $350.  Definitely cheaper than I've seen them, and they should pair nicely with the 3/4" rear spacer.  Especially since I have to pull the rear apart for the spacers anyway.  Based on what I've heard, these will be a significant improvement, and I'll continue to reinforce the truth that this setup with 35's will be everything I need. 

s-l1600.webp

So I'll have to swap out a day of working on the old truck to work on the new Jeep.  I also have to swap out some LED headlights and replace a torn shifter boot on my father's JK.  So it should be fun.

Spent a couple of hours on the JLR today. Didn?t have time to get the rear spring spacers in, but I did get the 392 Fox shocks and 1.25? BORA spacers on. Very strange to see the wider stance, but I LOVE the shocks. Firmer, but never harsh, with less bobbing when shifting, less brake dive and much better planted in corners.

E3338912-A023-4E16-A72D-20F050AF5270.webp

98A03DDB-5300-4C4D-9ECF-308D94F4A6E7.webp

79DC87B5-CA4B-46DE-8F08-BEF9C296B594.webp

CAEF536D-E2C9-4392-AC06-A913DC5EC1BC.webp

Big mods today. I got my custom PixelDecals fender vent decals with the 1901 Maine state flag applied. My first time doing decals like this, and I didn?t enjoy it. But I?m the end it came out pretty well. And it?s amazing how much better the JL fenders look with the vent decals to break things up a little.

2E3CF959-4B36-43B1-A423-061457E03426.webp

Edit:  It?s a little clearer in the afternoon light.

852A393C-28F0-4B3B-ABE6-B4E1F4A0848B.webp

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine