Ruffy the LJ

G Beasley

Staff member
Here on the hill we love us some Jeeps , and when the timing is right we like to add another to the herd. [member=59]janesy[/member] built a heck of an LJ and wheeled the tar out of it until the state of Massachusetts decided to change the inspection laws at about the same time he was having buggy dreams.  The start of this LJ can be read here.

This thread is to show what we are doing and hash out ideas as we add to what Janesy has built.

Heres the specs from the old thread.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Drivetrain Specs:
o 4.0L I-6 engine
o NV241 Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case
o Dana 44 front w/ Yukon Grizzly locker
o Dana 44 rear w/ Tru-Lok selectable locker
o RCV Performance CV axle shafts
o Ten Factory Rear Chromoly Shafts
o Motive 5.13 Gears/install kits
o 42rle Transmission
o Novak shifter

Suspension/Steering/Brake/Tire Modifications:
o Currie 4" springs
o JKS 1.25" BL
o Savvy 1" MML
o Currie Steering
o Synergy ball joints
o Black Magic brakes
o YJ Brake lines
o Currie AntiRock
o Metal Cloak Control Arms
o Metal Cloak Front & Rear Adj. Trackabr
o 35x12.5x15 Procomp MT2's w/ Tackik D window wheels

Armor:
o Marked Designs aluminum front bumper
o Rokmen Steering Box Skid
o A to Z Fab sliders
o Savvy Modular Underarmor
o Barnett Diff cover (front)
o Riddler Diff. Cover (rear)
o Savvy corner guards

Misc.
o Quadratec i9500 stealth winch
o Roadless Gear in-cab winch control

This is what it looked like when Janesy bought it.
index.php

Here is what it looked like after he swapped in all of the Rubicon parts.

index.php

Yeah about that , you will see the fenders later. So Janesy and I came to an agreement on price and then work happened. Every time I thought I was going to be able to head North with Billy to get it I got called in to work. Now this isnt all bad as it does pay the bills, but Janesy doesnt have the room to store multiple rigs . Thankfully he was a very gracious seller and my neighbor who hauls cars professionally was able to pick it up just after Christmas for me.

IMG955215.webp

Noel at collectibles was very good to deal with. He kept in touch with Janesy and I and delivered right on time for a fair price. PM me if you want his contact info.

Billy and I took it wheeling out back as soon as Noel left and it did not disappoint . We went places where we had only been on four wheelers until now. We didn't get many pictures as it was ten degrees and we were busy having fun .

0101181648_Film3.webp

0101181637_HDR_Film3.webp

Which leads us to what the heck are we going to do with it?!?

The fenders are rough. Billy wanted to know if Mr Janesy drove by touch like braille :-X
Janesy included a set of aluminum defenders to replace the steelies , but my love for MCE's is strong as I love the retro look. Billy however loves the Defenders so that is most likely the way we will go.

0107181641b_Film3.webp

0107181641d_Film3.webp

The rest of the LJ is solid.

0107181641_Film3.webp

0101181648_Film3.webp

1228171723a_Film3.webp

Billy likes the way a Scrambler looks and we may go that route. For now we are fixing the oil leak and putting an old man exhaust under it. As much as I like the grunt it makes with the current exhaust , I get tire tired of the noise quickly. I will save the exhaust so Billy can change it back when he is driving it if he likes.

Once those basic tasks are taken care of we will figure out the fenders. I have a CJ tailgate for the rear and the spare will go in the bed . I am looking for a used half cab and we would make our own bulkhead with custom tonneau cover like our jeep trailer has.

We will also bend up a cage and make a rear bumper.

Long term there is a strong urge to swap in a hemi , one tons and 42's . Time will tell , but for now it is a great wheeler thats just a little ruffy around the edges. Thanks again for selling this to us [member=59]janesy[/member] we truly appreciate it.

Glad it went to a great home. It?s defnitely a solid wheeler and since it?s not showroom quality I?m sure you won?t have to hold back as much with this LJ.

Really wish I could have held on to it and gone the route you talk about, but just not in the cards financially or enough time.

If you ever decide to let it go, for whatever reason please let me know. Would love to have first crack at it if feasible.

G Beasley said:
Long term there is a strong urge to swap in a hemi , one tons and 42's .

I've done you a serious disservice, man; I had no idea you were this good at trolling people.  😀

On a serious note: if you're really thinking about a set of Big Girl Axles and phodeeze you would do well to look at a pre-built 60/70 set that can go in with minimum hassle, and for which you can pre-arrange your drivetrain, frame and sheetmetal.  You're going to need to stretch the rear for those, and possibly the front as well, so give that some thought before you start trying to work them around a hard-to-wire Hemi; a 5.3 or 6.0 would be an easier install for similar power, and pose no greater clearancing issues.

Also, the half-cab looks dope as hell, but a hard tonneau is a pain in the ass to deal with... and if you clip those C-pillars in order to make it a flip-up you're going to have to come up with some way to keep the tub from flexing.  I'm not trying to talk you out if it, but just make you aware of what you'll have to do if you go that route.  I've done it and I'm changing it.

Solid-looking Jeep, overall, even though I'm going to call it Bruhffy from now onwards because you totally mentioned tons and 42's, bruh.

Dibs on the fenders if Young William decides to go plastic... I?ve got some rust free fairly clean stockers I could send your way too... and they are black👍🏻

Sundowner said:
I've done you a serious disservice, man; I had no idea you were this good at trolling people.  😀

On a serious note: if you're really thinking about a set of Big Girl Axles and phodeeze you would do well to look at a pre-built 60/70 set that can go in with minimum hassle, and for which you can pre-arrange your drivetrain, frame and sheetmetal.  You're going to need to stretch the rear for those, and possibly the front as well, so give that some thought before you start trying to work them around a hard-to-wire Hemi; a 5.3 or 6.0 would be an easier install for similar power, and pose no greater clearancing issues.

Also, the half-cab looks dope as hell, but a hard tonneau is a pain in the ass to deal with... and if you clip those C-pillars in order to make it a flip-up you're going to have to come up with some way to keep the tub from flexing.  I'm not trying to talk you out if it, but just make you aware of what you'll have to do if you go that route.  I've done it and I'm changing it.

Solid-looking Jeep, overall, even though I'm going to call it Bruhffy from now onwards because you totally mentioned tons and 42's, bruh.
I have the cage and tonneau figured out , or at least I think I do. Need to find a good B hoop from a TJ to experiment on.

Florpro said:
Dibs on the fenders if Young William decides to go plastic... I?ve got some rust free fairly clean stockers I could send your way too... and they are black👍🏻
There are so many people in line for the fenders but I will put you there. I am pretty sure we are installing them but will update here if we change directions.

G Beasley said:
If you are paying , get to work!

All it will see for now is oil leak , exhaust , cage and fenders.
Go ahead and mock up some extra spreaders when you do his for mine lol. O and I may have a line on a used unit for your garage if you still wanna put a.c. out there

98 tj sport said:
Go ahead and mock up some extra spreaders when you do his for mine lol. O and I may have a line on a used unit for your garage if you still wanna put a.c. out there
AC and heat would be awesome , sure would make it easier to fab up a cage.  😀

G Beasley said:
AC and heat would be awesome , sure would make it easier to fab up a cage.  😀
Ok I'll let you know got a buddy that needs to upsize to accommodate for an addition and has a 2.5 ton Goodman that he hasn't had any problems with but idk how much he is gonna wasn't for it.  I'll let you know when he decides what he wants to do for sure.

G Beasley said:
I have the cage and tonneau figured out , or at least I think I do. Need to find a good B hoop from a TJ to experiment on.

If you're still looking when I pull Greta's B-pillar hoop, you'll be welcome to it for experimentation and/or vivisection purposes.

What are you planning to do on the tonneau?  A fitted two-piece design with a rubber gasket is the easiest for making a lift-up cover (think of something like the joint on a Bak-Flip), but you'll need reinforcement side-to-side and front-to-rear in order to keep it rigid on an LJ-length deck...and that means you'll have no more than 13" of cargo space underneath the lowest projections of the support structure for the tonneau.  If you go that route, fine, but be aware that very few coolers, fridges or storage totes/boxes will easily fit underneath it.  You'll also want to tie the hinge side into your bulkhead, but that isn't difficult.

janesy said:
Negative ghostrider. With the 4" springs, highlines were not needed for the build plans.
But 42's 😀

Looking forward to getting the LJ in the shop soon. Just stuck waiting until the hardware show is over and I get some free time back.

G Beasley said:
But 42's 😀

Looking forward to getting the LJ in the shop soon. Just stuck waiting until the hardware show is over and I get some free time back.

Well, 42's were not in my plans for the LJ. But yea, highlines would be nice for that!

janesy said:
Well, 42's were not in my plans for the LJ. But yea, highlines would be nice for that!
Going to stick with 35's for a good while as it is awesome on the trail. Took it to the farm and it did great , need to get a few bugs worked so we can get it legal on the road.

Started working on the CJ tailgate today. If anyone has a set of CJ hinges laying around I could use a pair. When I bought the tailgate someone had cut out the hinge mount.

0206181532_Film3.webp

That left me to make a patch. I had the right gauge metal in stock so it was time to chop. I made the basic shape first , then rolled the bottom edge over to match the original profile. I used a throatless shear and bench grinder to make it fit properly.

0206181637_Film3.webp

Close up of the panel.

0206181615_Film3.webp

Getting closer.

0206181638_Film3.webp

And all fit up with the missing hinge bolt hole locations centered. I used the dimensions off the other side to find center.

0206181624_Film3.webp

The other side was crusty , but a tap left nice clean easy to thread into nuts. Once I have the holes drilled on the patch I will weld nuts to the back of the patch and then tack it in. Once I am sure the bolts are square to the original ones I will weld it all up.

janesy said:
Greg I should have a set of CJ hinges in the parts bin. I?ll take a look tomorrow.
That would be great , even if they are semi stuck , as they are pretty easy to get moving again.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine