TexasTJ Goes to Moab, Alone...September 2018

As if Colorado wasn't pretty enough in the summer, the fall colors were showing.
44984649932_5731c00c6b_c.jpg

Black Bear Pass! I ran this trail last year in my 4Runner and love the view overlooking Telluride. If you get the chance to run BBP and haven't yet, do it! BBP is extremely over hyped in terms of difficulty.
44121374705_b78328cfa1_c.jpg

30096622327_50f0586bdb_c.jpg

Overlooking Telluride
30096616347_c72dc83a0f_c.jpg

43221014010_613d2a43db_c.jpg

44315750834_79407f6642_c.jpg

We hadn't charged the camera all trip and it decided to die at the top of BBP. Here you can see BBP from Imogene Pass taken via cell phone.
44121361825_3a117b00a8_c.jpg

44121352475_6930989220_c.jpg

Just as we had passed through Tom Boy, we pulled over on a climb to allow another Jeep to pass. Suddenly the Jeep began hissing and steaming; clearly my cooling system was done.

I used the camp knife that a good friend hand made for me to pop the hood since it was a little squished (thanks Mickey) and determined that my radiator had decided to separate at the top. We made one final climb to the top of Imogene Pass, but didn't stop for pictures.
44984626912_c1f16c2eb9_c.jpg

We raced down the mountain, stopping occasionally to allow the engine to cool and eventually made it the 12 miles back to camp.
44984623322_9bf0b938d5_c.jpg

Just before getting down we stopped one last time to cool off and I noticed that I was missing my camp knife! I knew that I had used it to pry the hood open on the Telluride side of the summit and had left it on the tire. There was no way the Jeep was going to make it back up and I wasn't going to hike back up the mountain as it was getting darker and colder. A couple in an XJ stopped to offer help since my hood was popped. I told him to keep an eye out for a knife (showed him a picture) and to enjoy if he found it. He told me that he would look for it and he would mail it back to me if he found it! He was about to set up camp and would finish Imogene the next morning. I gave him my  number and we parted ways.

The next day it was time to head back home. We were about 4hrs away with spotty cell service when a random phone number texted me with an image, but I could not view it at the time. Shortly after it came through and said "Does this look familiar? It appears that several people have drove over it, but it's no worse for the wear." I gave him my address and he said he would mail it this week!

44121355815_940e346fd4_c.jpg

Heavy fog somewhere in west Texas.
44984624222_86ef387d67_c.jpg

It's very cool that the guy found your knife and will be mailing it back; that kind of thing restores my faith in humanity just a tiny bit.

Damn dude.  Nice pics.  That looks like the smaller of the Hot Tubs you rolled in right?.  No video?

Wheeling is more fun after you get the first roll out of the way. 

It was Mickey's Hot Tub. Wife was recording, but she put the phone down as soon as I went over, i just dont know how upload video on here.

Texas TJ said:
It was Mickey's Hot Tub. Wife was recording, but she put the phone down as soon as I went over, i just dont know how upload video on here.
Load it on youtube and link it here.

Jeffro06 said:
Nice trip. I've been both places, and can't wait to take the wife to both.

Moab was fun, but I love the CO scenery more. I've been to Ouray twice now, and my wife once, but she wants to go back sometime after she heard some random guy at a shop racing about the Alpine Loop.

Texas TJ said:
Moab was fun, but I love the CO scenery more. I've been to Ouray twice now, and my wife once, but she wants to go back sometime after she heard some random guy at a shop racing about the Alpine Loop.

The wife and I were talking about getting out to Ouray, someday, tonight on our way home from dinner. I absolutely love the Colorado Rockies scenery.

If you get bored I have pics from the loop Here.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine