To the Gulf and Back

Jforse

Last year we went West and this year we are going South. Heading south on I-35 with an eventual goal of getting to the Gulf of Mexico.

Day 1 - I think we will make Oklahoma City the first day.
Day 2 - Then head to Waco so Kristin can check out the Magnolia Silos and restaurant. I think only one day in Waco will be enough.
Day 3 - Austin. Kristin and has never been here and wants to check out her relatives grave site at the state cemetery. Edward Burleson ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Burleson )
Day 4,5 - San Antonio. Check out the Alamo and bum around. Could be here 2-3 days.
Day 6,7 - Corpus Christi. Drive on the beach. Bum around the area.

That leaves 7 days to get home. Any suggestions for the drive home?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 8.36.40 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 8.36.40 AM.webp
    157.3 KB · Views: 32
San Antonio is one of my favorites , Casa Rio on the Riverwalk is worth the wait. All of the Riverwalk is fun , and it goes without saying the Alamo is a must. Very somber to be in the middle of it and think about facing down a force of that size.

On the way back I like Eureka Springs Arkansas , very neat town but it is a bit out of the way from your path. Its almost like a wild west town and is mostly unchanged in the downtown area from its glory days.

Cave in Rock and Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois is neat spot accessed by a ferry ride over the Ohio River and its not to far off your path and the roads are decent . You can rent a pretty nice cabin on the river at Cave in Rock as well for about $100 and the views are fantastic. Garden of the gods is a great place for the kids to explore , just keep a close watch on them as there are some big drop offs . It really feels like you are out in Wyoming , or Colorado , not Illinois.

Or you can go over to Carbondale and stay in cabins at Giant City State park which has canyons , creeks and hills to explore. They also have a great lodge and family style meals with famous fried chicken.

St Louis has a 10 story childrens museum , that has slides from floor to floor and takes half a day to see . Just be careful as the city is getting better but still has some rough spots. Lots of great places to eat , and the Zoo is supposed to be great as well. The Cardinals will be playing as well if you want to catch an MLB game.

From there North is interesting , but probably better handled by someone who has traveled that part of the country more than me.

I?ve been to San Antonio during Cinco de Mayo and that was pretty great. They shut down a bunch of streets around the river walk area and had a huge street carnival with music, dancing, food, the works. Don?t know your time frame but it?s worth a shot

Etatum said:
I?ve been to San Antonio during Cinco de Mayo and that was pretty great. They shut down a bunch of streets around the river walk area and had a huge street carnival with music, dancing, food, the works. Don?t know your time frame but it?s worth a shot
That sounds awesome.

Etatum said:

Sounds like a good time. We are going the last week of June inot the first week of July.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine