tranny cross members and tummy tucks - let's see them!

moredock_31

just as the subject states, I want to see your independent cross members and flat skids. thinking this may be one of the next jobs I attempt to tackle and want to get some ideas. the more the merrier! 

I'm curious to see this as well.  There is a strong learning curve for me coming to the Jeep world.  First question: is a body lift absolutely necessary for a tummy tuck?  Granted it would need to translate to a JK.   😉

badmonkey said:
I'm curious to see this as well.  There is a strong learning curve for me coming to the Jeep world.  First question: is a body lift absolutely necessary for a tummy tuck?  Granted it would need to translate to a JK.  😉

The newer you go the easier it is in my experience. YJs need a body lift and some hammer use, TJs usually just need the body lift. I think the JK is pretty flat as delivered, no?

Bought, not built!
20170119_221335_zpsk7h07zew.jpg

Are you wanting flat flat? Or smooth and close to flat?
20170304_125947_zpsru0fafp7.jpg

Rucas said:
The newer you go the easier it is in my experience. YJs need a body lift and some hammer use, TJs usually just need the body lift. I think the JK is pretty flat as delivered, no?

I don't know the differences well enough to make an educated comparison.  Looking under there, it seems there could be too for improvement.  Gotta remember though, a Zuk with any lift and tire at all is damn near impossible to high center. 

badmonkey said:
I don't know the differences well enough to make an educated comparison.  Looking under there, it seems there could be too for improvement.  Gotta remember though, a Zuk with any lift and tire at all is damn near impossible to high center. 

For reference the YJ stock belly hangs down 3" below the frame. A TJ is 3.5-4". The tuck is generally achieved by doing a motor mount lift, raising the trans up and replacing the stock bulky mount with a low profile crossmember. There are plenty other ways to skin a cat but that combination is I've seen most do

The rare next venture flat belly with crossmember on a nsg370 and np231

Attachments

• TJ Tummy Tuck Crossmember.webp
    TJ Tummy Tuck Crossmember.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 323
  • TJ Tummy Tuck.webp
    TJ Tummy Tuck.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 277
Twinstickd20 said:
That is a nice setup

Thanks, Dan put a lot of thought into it. It even works well, as seen on the Rubicon trail 

Attachments

• 14021618_10209623317797840_4571310321065370887_n_zpstn98ueh8.webp
    14021618_10209623317797840_4571310321065370887_n_zpstn98ueh8.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 119
moredock_31 said:
just as the subject states, I want to see your independent cross members and flat skids. thinking this may be one of the next jobs I attempt to tackle and want to get some ideas. the more the merrier! 

Mine

Attachments

• 20161104_134511.webp
    20161104_134511.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 20161104_162950.webp
    20161104_162950.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 20161117_153156.webp
    20161117_153156.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 174
G Beasley said:
Are y'all selling that as a kit?

We can make a kit if desired. Just need to allow some time to get it finished before shipping out. It's not on the site, so a call would be needed to order

I want to do this, but I don't need to go total 6 pack abs. A 2" Banes Skid will suffice for me. And, no BL. Use the Barnes kit and bend the tube to make a slight drop at each end just enough for the skid to clear it.

DezertLJ said:
We can make a kit if desired. Just need to allow some time to get it finished before shipping out. It's not on the site, so a call would be needed to order
What would something like that run and what all would be involved as far as the skid I know you have to weld in the mounts for the actual cross member but what goes on the frame where you bolt the skid thru. It would be on an 05 lj rubicon with the 42rle and obviously the 241

98 tj sport said:
What would something like that run and what all would be involved as far as the skid I know you have to weld in the mounts for the actual cross member but what goes on the frame where you bolt the skid thru. It would be on an 05 lj rubicon with the 42rle and obviously the 241

I can get you a price, but it won't work on the 241 without serious modification of the floorboards. The 241 is too big to be totally flat, even with a 1.25 bl. It's highly involved. You would need to weld the crossmember together, along with welding sleeves to the frame to prevent crushing when the skid is bolted on. We've only done testing on a nsg370 231 combo, so the 42rle may also have issues with clearance

We haven't finished up a 241 yet, otherwise I'd be running this

moredock_31 said:
Do you remember the overall change in pinion angle?

Not offhand, but I ran it with the same pinion angle as before for a week or so until [member=219]Rucas[/member] brought me a rear adjustable track bar. We didn't have to go much higher to get all the vibes to disappear. If I had to guess probably like 3-4 deg.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine