What Tire Pressure are you guys running?

AeroBoost

I just got new tires and I'd like to make these last as long as possible and not get noisy if I can help it.
I had it lined up yesterday. Hopefully the day of driving, prior to, didn't set them on a bad wear path.

What tire pressure are you guys running?
this is a 99xj on 31s.
The tag on the door says 33psi.
I've been running about 36 lately.
The guy at the shop insists they'll do better with more. His tech put 42psi in them when he mounted them. It was all over the place and I could tell after rolling thru some dirt, they were over inflated. Only the middle of the tire was dirty. I've let them back down to 36. I still noticed the chicken strips this morning, but after checking (assuming the sudden drop in ambient temps) they were all at 33. I haven't checked since driving it 30mi to work.

I run 33 to 34 in a Gladiator, a much heavier rig. Yes, overinflation will wear the centers too fast. The factory recommends overinflation to get higher mpg ratings.

I do the chalk test on my 35's. It's been a long time since I've had my Jeep available to me, but I believe I was running 26-28 psi as a result. The tires are wearing evenly. I've used the chalk test for multiple sets of tires and have always been happy with the wear / life I get as a result.

I run the following on my Jeeps:

LJ: 26psi
Tire setup: 37x12 5r17, load range D

XJ: 28psi
Tire setup: 35x12.5r15, load range C

Past XJ, I ran 30psi on JK rubicon takeoffs (33s), load range C.

The chalk test is a great indication of proper contact patch.

Back when I had 31s on a TJ, I ran 30 to 32 to keep them happy. Now with metric 34s on an LJ, it's 26ish. I agree with badmonkey that overinflation is too common from the factory and shops for mpg reasons, at the expense of traction and increased center wear. And those factory numbers have to cover smaller tire sizes, which need more pressure to do the same thing.

And those factory numbers have to cover smaller tire sizes, which need more pressure to do the same thing.
^^^^ yep, Pounds per Square Inch. The tire suspends more or less the same weight, so providing moar square inches means less poundage needed. Absolutely.

Well, I didn't have any chalk. Could've sworn we had some.
So I did the Bar Keeper's Friend test
I stopped letting air out at 25lbs.
Still feel like I'm giving up some tread in the back, but I'm scared to keep going.
1000005604.webp

1000005605.webp

I've been 25-28 on the LJ since moving away from the stock tires. They seem to wear well, but I have maybe 10k miles on my 315s in 6 years.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine