Babe, the Blue XJ

Quick life update:

Truck is quite capable, though it's hard to accept the limitations of a 5ft bed when you're used to an 8ft, but it still hasn't failed to get the job done.  I've added a few accessories to the truck, which I will detail at a later date.

The riding mower is running beautifully.  It starts when it's supposed to and cuts grass without a care in the world.

I passed the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam, so I'm only a couple months away from becoming a Professional Engineer.

Over the summer I hope to get into straightening out Babe and getting her more off-road worthy.

Have a happy Memorial Day everyone!

cescuzzy date=1558787063 said:
Quick life update:

Truck is quite capable, though it's hard to accept the limitations of a 5ft bed when you're used to an 8ft, but it still hasn't failed to get the job done.  I've added a few accessories to the truck, which I will detail at a later date.

The riding mower is running beautifully.  It starts when it's supposed to and cuts grass without a care in the world.

I passed the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam, so I'm only a couple months away from becoming a Professional Engineer.

Over the summer I hope to get into straightening out Babe and getting her more off-road worthy.

Have a happy Memorial Day everyone!

Congrats on the PE exam! That's a tough one to get done. I need to start down that road now.... 

[member=138]cescuzzy[/member]? I have a question regarding your Chevy. The FIL is considering a 2019 purchase with the 6.2 V8. They want to tow a camper with it, hence a desire for the largest engine package. The owner's manual "recommends" 93 octane fuel. Now, we do take note of that statement. It probably isn't going to instantaneously implode with 87 in the tank. They live in IL where 93 is even higher than here on the east coast, so resistance to daily 93 use is understandable. He'd be ok using it while towing. What are your thoughts? Does yours "want" 93 as well? 

badmonkey said:
[member=138]cescuzzy[/member]? I have a question regarding your Chevy. The FIL is considering a 2019 purchase with the 6.2 V8. They want to tow a camper with it, hence a desire for the largest engine package. The owner's manual "recommends" 93 octane fuel. Now, we do take note of that statement. It probably isn't going to instantaneously implode with 87 in the tank. They live in IL where 93 is even higher than here on the east coast, so resistance to daily 93 use is understandable. He'd be ok using it while towing. What are your thoughts? Does yours "want" 93 as well?

Not to my knowledge, though I will review the owner's manual more thoroughly to confirm.  I've run nothing but 87 in the Beast of Burden since I got it with absolutely no ill effects, and the only time I would consider running 93 is after a full ECU tune. 

Some reading on the subject (via internet forums, so take this as a disclaimer) implies that the truck's sensors will adjust the engine timing according to any perceived knock (within reason) leaving only a small loss of performance.  I think the most likely scenario is that the truck would build up carbon in the cylinders a little faster, and you might lose a few ponies, but I'd probably run 87 in that truck without a second thought.

cescuzzy said:
Not to my knowledge, though I will review the owner's manual more thoroughly to confirm.  I've run nothing but 87 in the Beast of Burden since I got it with absolutely no ill effects, and the only time I would consider running 93 is after a full ECU tune. 

Some reading on the subject (via internet forums, so take this as a disclaimer) implies that the truck's sensors will adjust the engine timing according to any perceived knock (within reason) leaving only a small loss of performance.  I think the most likely scenario is that the truck would build up carbon in the cylinders a little faster, and you might lose a few ponies, but I'd probably run 87 in that truck without a second thought.

Isn't it great that you can find the owner's manuals online?
The manual for the Colorado does not require anything more than 87, but here's what the Silverado manual had to say:

Screenshot_20191021-052642_1.webp

Looks like 87 is acceptable, just not optimal.  I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to use 87 in that truck.

badmonkey said:
Thanks scuzz. That was my assessment as well.

Always happy to help!  😉

It probably wouldn't hurt to run Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam as a regular fuel additive, but it's probably not necessary either.

Another year, another inspection. 

In other news ...

Babe proved her worth last Thursday.  I drove the Colorado to work last week (as is typical).  I got a call around 10am from the wife saying her car wouldn't start.  I zipped over to the house, passed the truck keys off to her and sent her on her merry way (she was already late for a meeting).  Fortunately, Babe started right up and helped me along mine (did I mention my wife can't drive stick?).

Anyway, I was able to jump the wife's car off with the Jeep and get it to the nearest interstate dealer for the largest battery they could fit in it... And now my wife appreciates Babe just a little bit more.  😀

G Beasley said:
It?s a slow building yet burning love!

Aye.

So I have a short list of things I really want to handle sooner rather than later:

- tighten up windshield wipers
- clean and lube brake calipers/pins
- clean electrical connections and re-seat gauge cluster (intermittent no bus)
- replace vacuum line boots

Beyond that, there's a whole other list...and it's not a short one  [nailbite]

cescuzzy said:
Aye.

So I have a short list of things I really want to handle some rather than later:

That's not a terrible list for an older rig.

cescuzzy said:
Aye.

So I have a short list of things I really want to handle sooner rather than later:

Hooray!  I did something!  [laugh]

The bushings were ok, but the motor was a tad loose.  Replaced the bushings anyway, and now the wipers are the way they're supposed to be.

cescuzzy said:
Hooray!  I did something!  [laugh]

The bushings were ok, but the motor was a tad loose.  Replaced the bushings anyway, and now the wipers are the way they're supposed to be.

Hey it's something! I had a wiper arm fall off while driving once. I just didn't push the clip in all the way.

Sorted the front brakes out today.  A bit of rust, dust, and dirt plus some unreasonably tight tolerances in the brake pads were causing the passenger side to drag.  A little Dremel work was all it took to get things loosened up again.

G Beasley said:
Easy fixes are good fixes!

They are at that.  My test drive, post-repair, didn't test everything, but it managed to behave itself well enough. 

I may need my electronics (current and future) on a kill switch though.  The battery seems to go dead if I leave it hooked up without driving it for a couple weeks (I know, easy answer is "drive it more").  Still, a kill switch wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

Went to the NC Auto Expo last Saturday with a Friend.  Cars were seen, good times were had, and almost no pictures were taken...

Pictured: My dog, waiting patiently for me to actually take pictures for this thread, and my cat, looking at the dog like he's an idiot...
IMG_20200205_173039.webp

Naturally, I didn't take pictures of any of the Jeeps that were seen or driven, but I did get a shot of this Cooper!

Pictured: Not a Jeep, not even a little bit
IMG_20200215_112750.webp

I took two test drives while there (for science!).  The 2020 Ram Rebel was a fun truck that actually impressed me a bit.  The 2020 Gladiator Sport, on the other hand, did not impress me at all.  It had all the elbow room of my Cherokee (but none of the charm) and the engine was not exciting (in neither the sound nor power department).  I find both my Cherokee and my Colorado to be much more fun and exciting (your mileage may vary).  The ride quality, however, was exceptional, and this was all done on a road course.

I do think that the Gladiator will be a different beast with a Diesel, though that doesn't exactly give me more elbow room...

After the show, we went out exploring.  There were a couple of places around Raleigh that I hadn't gotten to lay my own eyes on yet, and I finally got a chance to do that.  The most interesting spot was this:

Pictured: An old Seaboard Turntable
IMG_20200215_154639.webp

This is located near the crossing of Capital Boulevard over Peace Street.  The picture was taken from the top of the municipal parking deck nearby to avoid trespassing concerns.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine