Babe, the Blue XJ

Drove Babe over the weekend...and the passenger front caliper is still acting up.  I'm thinking that an overhaul of the brake system is in order.  As much as I'd like to throw in a big brake kit and rear discs, I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of money on it when the stock stuff still works pretty good (when it works, of course).

I'll really need to dedicate more time to this beast...

cescuzzy date=1590509666 said:
Drove Babe over the weekend...and the passenger front caliper is still acting up.  I'm thinking that an overhaul of the brake system is in order.  As much as I'd like to throw in a big brake kit and rear discs, I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of money on it when the stock stuff still works pretty good (when it works, of course).

I'll really need to dedicate more time to this beast...
 Check the pad slides on the knuckle. Mine always stuck a bit until I noticed the notches that would catch the pads

Rainman77 said:
Check the pad slides on the knuckle. Mine always stuck a bit until I noticed the notches that would catch the pads

I actually clearanced all that the last time this happened.  This was more like a full on lock-up, so I'm thinking that there some rust around the piston that is causing it to hang up.

New calipers should take care of the issue and while I understand not wanting to out the money into the big brake kit , I would suggest you take a look at the black magic pads. They have a lot more bite than stock , but don?t make a dusty mess.

G Beasley said:
New calipers should take care of the issue and while I understand not wanting to out the money into the big brake kit , I would suggest you take a look at the black magic pads. They have a lot more bite than stock , but don?t make a dusty mess.

Black Magic Pads have crossed my mind a time or two.

A pile of stock brake parts have been ordered, along with a new set of stainless hard lines for it. 

I won't bother with the drums this time, but everything up front and all the lines are getting done.  I want to be able to drive this thing without cooking my unit bearing.

G Beasley said:
Pretty simple fix depending on the corrosion.

I'm praying for the easy removal of all clips and fasteners holding things in place.

Part of the reason for not doing the drums this time is exactly that: corrosion.  Just ask [member=219]Rucas[/member] what the front brakes were like.... 😀. I'm afraid the drums will take either a ton of heat to break loose, or nothing will get them loose and I'll have to install new axle shafts while I'm at it.

G Beasley said:
Drums might surprise you if the shows are worn. What about upgrading to disc in the rear ?

Aside from disc brakes being easier to service and cleaning out mud better, I'm not entirely convinced that there'd be a quantifiable difference for me at this stage.  It might be worthwhile down the road if a) I can find donor parts over buying a $500 kit, b) I find my braking performance lacking severely due to other modifications, or c) I just don't want to fool with rebuilding the drum brakes.

I don't see myself going the kind of full tilt that justifies them, not that I am going to be doing any real towing with my Colorado around.  I still want them, and my priorities may change on down the road, but for now I'm ok with getting the brake system back in usable shape so I can get Babe back in the dirt.

Rucas said:
I have PTSD from doing your rotors......  [puke]

Yes. They were that bad for those who weren?t there

Aren't you glad I'm not asking you to do that again?  😀

I'm admittedly just a little sad that we didn't go full neanderthal on them after we got the assembly out, just to see what it took to separate them.

In all seriousness, that was a good time, but I doubt anything short of an actual torch is gonna be able to get enough heat into those brake drums to pop them loose.

[member=219]Rucas[/member] can add on this but the Liberty disc setup can be had for cheap from most junkyards. I think it?s a bolt on other than the hard line being too long.

G Beasley said:
[member=219]Rucas[/member] can add on this but the Liberty disc setup can be had for cheap from most junkyards. I think it?s a bolt on other than the hard line being too long.

I don't remember if Scuzz has the 35 or 8.25 so I can't comment in full confidence but the KJ brakes are a great option for an 8.25. They use TJ/LJ calipers and all of the parts are easily available. The factory KJ e brake cables will fit but one has to be looped to take up the extra couple feet of slack.

Rucas said:
I don't remember if Scuzz has the 35 or 8.25 so I can't comment in full confidence but the KJ brakes are a great option for an 8.25. They use TJ/LJ calipers and all of the parts are easily available. The factory KJ e brake cables will fit but one has to be looped to take up the extra couple feet of slack.

8.25 all the way.

I've considered liberty brakes for a while, and I like the idea. 

Right now, I've got the front brakes and all the hard and soft lines to replace.  Part of choosing to do the parts I'm doing now is that it won't take too much more to upgrade the rears later when I decide that what I have is inadequate. 

Stock brakes being what they are, I've got some weight to add before that becomes an issue.

G Beasley said:
Are you going back with all stock? No upgrades?!?

I wouldn't say no upgrades... I bought extended soft lines in preparation for lifting it, but I really want to get the XJ off-road more before I start on the bigger upgrades.

I haven't driven the Cherokee much over the past year, and my goal is get her back on the road and deal with the existing problems she's been plagued with.  On the other hand, it'll be a couple weeks before I plan to get started on the work (next few weekends are booked solid) so I have some time to mull over how far down the rabbit hole I intend to go... Anything will be fair game.

I'm not saying I'm the worst at updating my build thread... But I am extraordinarily awful at it.

All the brake lines went well, worked well, etc.  I still think it needs to be bled a couple more times, but I've taken it off the road for a while, which is actually motivating me to fix it sooner rather than later.

The front end is loose, VERY loose, so I'm going for a full refresh there.

In the meanwhile, there's this thing to scratch the Jeep itch:
PXL_20220418_000551908.webp
(Pictured: Babe on the right, and a '98 "Upcountry" that belongs to my Friend's (Beasley's met him a couple times) Dad.

It blew out a brake line, so we hauled it over here from Chapel Hell and put a new Stainless brake line kit on it from inline tube.  Having installed two of their kits now, I'm pretty happy with the quality, fit, and finish.  Is every bend perfect?  No, but they're plenty close enough and the fittings are good quality.

At some unspecified future date, it's going to need new springs and shocks as the entire suspension is dragging the ground at this point.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine