bbusch's stealth Rubicon build

bbusch

Alright time to include a build thread here on Jeep-Owner.  

Below is my rig that I have been building since February of 2003.  I bought the rig new in Memphis TN and she is one of the original 8,000 Rubicon's that were built on a trial run.  Due to the success and interest it's my understanding Jeep decided to continue making the Rubicon model and of course now it's the most popular Jeep trim line available for the Wrangler.  I have traveled cross country in this rig numerous times and have wheeled her from North Carolina to California.  In January 2006 I loaded the ole girl up with a few suits, some CD's and toiletries and headed west to CA to start a new job that I was promised.  I moved out West leaving my immediate family behind, my loved Black Lab, a home I owned and a new F150 I had just bought to go simple and be one with my Jeep.  We found a nice house to rent where she had her own garage and once I began to figure out Tahoe is the place I would like to call home for now on I began looking for a new place to buy and put my place back in Nashville up for sale.  While TN will always be home the Nevada/California border has become my new home and for the past almost ten years now I have been loving life in a place that offers some of the best wheeling spots on the planet.  To put things in perspective the Rubicon is a mere 40 minutes from my door step to the trail head and Fordyce trail is about 50 minutes from here to the trail head.  While I don't get to wheel nearly as often as I would like to I certainly get out some in the summers and enjoy my rig for what she was built to do and that's wheel some of the trails I dreamed about in my younger years while growing up back east.  At 35 I now have over 20 years of owning a Jeep under my belt and I'm pretty sure there won't be a time during my life when I will not own a Jeep.  

When I started building this rig I had plans to install an Nth Degree suspension setup and started a relationship with Jim and Nicole Frens before moving out west right near where their shop was located in Mound House, NV.  In December 2006 Nth installed the remaining suspension among other parts and that has been my setup until recently.  While I am moving on to bigger and better things (I hope) she performed well over the years and I will continue to run the Tummy Tucker I installed back in the spring of 2004 (one of the very limited number of flat skids Nth produced).  Some of the mods I have completed to date and consider my favorites include the Tummy Tucker as well as the Recaro seats, a custom stereo setup where I built the enclosures myself and of course the classic styling of the 8274 winch that sums up the direction I am going with the build (a classic look that will remain as stock as possible considering the level of mods I have completed).  Over the years I have focused the build on details and she only gets better as the years pass on.  I have pictures posted below that sort of show the transformation up until this point where she is going through some major changes at the moment.  GenRight suspension w/King coil over shocks, Currie Rock Jock 60's, 37" GY MRT./K tires on 17" Hutchinson Beadlocks are some of the major mods she is going through at the moment.  While my wallet is growing very thin I wait in anticipation for the day I get to drive her back home where she belongs (rig has been gone for eight months now in the Los Angeles area prepping for install).  May 11th is the big day I am taking delivery so I will update this thread with plenty of photos of the custom work and parts.  In the final ten day stretch I am growing very excited and hope as I drive home on the 500 mile journey that a smile forms that will take an earth mover to remove.  I am still trying to figure out if I'm crazy or what but I have never driven a GenRight completed rig so my first impression will be in my girl.  Hope everyone enjoys the build!         

Just a baby!

December 2006/January 2007 she grew up on a 4.5" Nth Degree Mobility Lift

In 2010 she got some new parts including OMF wheels, Rock Hard Cage and a Warn 8274 to name a few

And here is how she sat until recently 

Over the years I have been updating her more and more and between 2011 and 2013 I focused on getting the interior perfected starting with the stereo and a set of JeePods that I custom built

Custom center console I built in 2011 houses a 10" Alpine SWR T10 subwoofer to go with the Focal speakers throughout

Alpine stereo and amp power the acoustics

As time and budget allowed I moved on to spraying the interior with Line X, added leather Recaro seats among other creature comforts

So last September (2014) I drove her down to Big Bear, CA to start the extensive GenRight build and decided to go with Currie axles along with King coil over shocks and 37 12.50 R17 GY MTR/K tires on Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlock wheels

And here is how she sat until just a few weeks ago when the work actually began

Parts waiting to be installed, picking her up May 11th

Only pic I have of her under the knife, hope to have more once they get things wrapped up next week

Stay tuned for updates!

I have always liked your rig , hope the new stance is as perfect as the old one. Where did you get the Recaros from?

Thanks for the comments guys.. I appreciate the interest.  I posted on Jeep Forum the following in regard to the Hutchinson Beadlocks moments ago:

Slight update:

The rig is due to be completed over the next few days and the final touches are starting to begin.  With that said I got a bad phone call today in regard to the Hutchinson Beadlock wheels.  Apparently these things are extremely heavy and require a ridiculous amount of weight to balance out and to make matters worse one of the wheels had something inside it and All J had to disassemble the wheel.  Once the wheel was disassembled they found a copper piece inside the tire and I recall that piece being in the inner rubber beadlock.  The piece is a mount for the TPMS device that is optional however I did not install the TPMS in my setup.  The copper piece fell out of one when they began to spin the tire to get the weight measurement during the balancing process.  I have placed a call to Hutchinson this evening and left Mike a message so hopefully I hear back from him tomorrow regarding the issue.  My concern is there are four other tires/wheels and this could be a potential issue with the additional four.  The issue with this one tire/wheel is likely going to cost me or Hutchinson $200 to $250 so if the issue carries over to the other four this could be a nightmare at over a $1,000 to $1,250 issue.  I am pretty disappointed right now and further worried.  If Hutchinson is not willing to step up this could put me in a very bad position given I don't have an extra grand to fix the issue and don't know how I will be able to get my rig home given I plan to drive her.  I feel this is a defect because the copper mounts were installed/pressed by Hutchinson and when I removed them from the sealed boxes the mounts had been preinstalled.  I would have never installed them myself and it's my understanding that sometimes they don't come installed on all of the inner beadlocks so I am wondering why they were preinstalled on mine?  I look for Hutchinson to step up here and cover the labor surrounding the issue however I am concerned they will not.  Even getting this one tire/wheel covered still leaves me vulnerable on the other four and I am seriously concerned.  This is bad news guys and I must say if they don't step up I am going to be extremely pissed!  Hope to know more tomorrow when Mike calls me back.  We are down to the final days now and I am getting that rig on Monday.. I have been waiting far too long to pick up my ride for this **** to happen (and be what sets me back another several weeks from picking her up).  I am frustrated with All J as well because the tires/wheels should have been balanced weeks ago and this issue could have been resolved already but they have waited last minute to get the rig completed and this could end up costing me big time both financially and with my time.  If I cannot pick her up this weekend I will not be able to pick her up until June due to I have doctor visits scheduled throughout the rest of May and cannot move the dates/push them.  This is why I wish people would listen and do what I say however things NEVER go like you expect/want/explain them to (the rig was supposed to be completed weeks ago).  I am not quite livid yet but tomorrow evening when I update here depending on what Hutchinson is or is not willing to do for me you may see a different Brian.  On a final note I went back through the entire mounting instructions again and nowhere in there does it say you need to remove the copper mounts if you don't plan to install the TPMS devices.    

I'll post an update tomorrow and let you know where things stand.

really sucks about the hutchinson issue, if it is of no fault of yours and directions do not say anything about it, they should imo cover it. 
on another note i'm pretty jelly of the currie axles, easily my favorite 60s

G Beasley date=1430625452 said:
I have always liked your rig , hope the new stance is as perfect as the old one. Where did you get the Recaros from?
I ordered them from here:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/seats-recaro-c-4259_4520_4523.html

ShaunSweeney date=1430941523 said:
I am willing to bet Hutchinson takes care of you.
[font=arial, sans-serif]Mike, per our conversation over the phone I just wanted to get an email over right fast.  The copper pin on the inside Beadlock was apparently not pressed properly or the hole was defective and the TPMS mount (copper mount pin) fell out on the inside of the wheel and All J Motorsports had to remove/break down the wheel to remove the pin as the tire/wheel would not not balance correctly.  It looks like I am now going to be charged for the additional break down and reassembly of the wheel and expect to be compensated for the extra cost I am expecting to see on the invoice from All J.  Heather with All J can be contacted at [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]909.866-4800[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] if you all prefer to deal directly with them.  I am certain All J did not replace the O Ring and that is a concern of mine (future possible issue if wheel is failing to hold air) and further I am concerned this could happen with the other four wheels (5 total wheels).  I appreciate the offer for some new O Rings however this is not a satisfactory solution for me because this is a defect with your product and in no way my fault or All J's fault.  Please keep in mind I have over a hundred thousand viewers who follow my threads on a number of forums across the web and many are already watching to see how Hutchinson handles the reimbursement of labor costs in regard to the defect.  I am officially asking in this email for Hutchinson to do the professional follow up and further reimbursement of all costs associated with this inconvenience.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Cordially,[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Brian Busch[/font]
and the reply...

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hello Brian,[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Thank you for the e-mail.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]I have forwarded this to the appropriate people in my company.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Best Regards,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Mike Finsterbusch[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Figure I will keep everyone updated so they can see exactly how Hutchinson does handle things.  I spoke with Mike and while he is very nice the conversation we had sounded like the most they would do for me is send over some O Rings which is not the solution.  At this point the matter has been forwarded on to others in the company.  As it turns out, and I expected, this in no way was this my fault and the copper pin/mount is pressed in and is not supposed to come out.  Mike told me he has never heard of this happening before to anyone which leads me to further believe it's indeed a defect with the hole in the inner rubber Beadlock.  All J is going to charge me a ridiculous amount of money to remove and remount the tire so I am not a happy camper with them either because it appears to be another over charge to the invoice that has already been overcharged IMO.  I will share that later once the work has been completed.  [/font]

This is why as much as I hate it sometimes I try to do all of my own work. I hate that everything isnt going as smoothly as you hoped/paid for...

G Beasley date=1430963394 said:
This is why as much as I hate it sometimes I try to do all of my own work. I hate that everything isnt going as smoothly as you hoped/paid for...
I agree.. I wish I had the room to do it myself.  My goal when I build my house is to have a full shop and will be able to break down the rig for paint myself, no way I will pay someone to break the rig down cause at All J's rates that would cost upwards of $20,000.  
As for the seats I am very happy and they have been one of my favorite mods to date.  JDM?  

bbusch said:
I agree.. I wish I had the room to do it myself.  My goal when I build my house is to have a full shop and will be able to break down the rig for paint myself, no way I will pay someone to break the rig down cause at All J's rates that would cost upwards of $20,000. 
As for the seats I am very happy and they have been one of my favorite mods to date.  JDM? 
Dont get me wrong I sub out some of my stuff , but only to Jody Treadway. I may be slow , but its right when I am done. As to JDM its short for Japanese Domestic Market. I was looking at JDM import Recaros on E bay.

G Beasley date=1430964703 said:
Dont get me wrong I sub out some of my stuff , but only to Jody Treadway. I may be slow , but its right when I am done. As to JDM its short for Japanese Domestic Market. I was looking at JDM import Recaros on E bay.
Thanks for the hookup.. I am likely going to put some Recaro's in my Honda and that info is helpful in my search.  To pick up some used ones would be ideal.  

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine