Bob's boring build

bobthetj03 said:
[laugh] I still have it. It's like having a wind up flashlight. You just can't get rid of those things! Lol!

Don't feel too bad. I still rock the flip phone too. In fact, I had the iphone 4 when verizon first released them. 
2 years later I was back on the flip phone game.

ShaunSweeney said:
[no] I loathe hipsters [cuss]
me and you both buddy.

G Beasley said:
My mom is not going to be happy with you now that she is a hipster , and she bakes amazing goodies ...
I don't know, did she pass her hipster qualification test? i think the prerequisites are: must be vegetarian (vegans preferred), you must attach yourself to any cause that prevents you from having to go to work, skinny jeans must be 99% of your wardrobe, you must own at least one homeless looking flannel (this is actually the only qualification i have here... and it's a lot of those flannels), you must wear super thick black frame glasses, also must have to tattoos of conflicting worldviews (to make sure they appear cultured). 

I'm not sure if these are all the qualifications, but I do live in a hipster stronghold... i should make this ^ into a flyer and hang them around Richmond, titled "Hipsters Wanted"

Got to work on the jeep today for a few hours. Still trying to find that pesky clunking rattle I get on dirt roads at slower speeds. Re-torqued all CA's, TB's, checked Ujoints(axle ujoints starting to show a little play), shocks, etc. Pulled the TC skid to check the low pro trany mount. two of the 4 trany bolts were loose. One of the front driveshaft mount bolts to the TC yoke was loose. Other than that, I couldn't find any evidence of where this rattle was coming from. Even the exhaust seemed solid!

Very thankful I get use of the shop after hours!
20141213_094954.jpg

Loose yoke bolt:
20141213_104028.jpg

Inspecting low pro mount. Bushing had a fair amount of play:
20141213_104043.jpg

The Savvy mount on mine was missing bolts when I dropped it last time ! It was making a clunk beforehand too ... Any noises since your reassembly?

G Beasley date=1418520358 said:
The Savvy mount on mine was missing bolts when I dropped it last time ! It was making a clunk beforehand too ... Any noises since your reassembly?

Well, I had a small issue when I tried to bolt my TC skid back. The holes wouldn't line up on one side! So I took it back down to get a look at the skid. I think it took one too many hits with a snake at the Rubicon, cause it was bowed in pretty good. I put a couple blocks of wood down and set the skid down, then took a BFH to it and beat it within inches of its life! Bolted right up after its attitude adjustment. Drove on some dirt roads on the way home, and the clunk is better but still there. I've come to the conclusion that my low pro mount bushing is getting sloppy and causing some contact. Things are pretty tight with that mount. I'll order a new bushing from Matt when I get a chance.
Also straightened my bent front bumper a little so my fog lights would point in a helpful direction. By doing that(BFH was involved as well), I think I fried the H3 build in the fog. Went to the local Napa Auto and picked up a new one for $3.
I was also a little concerned with my 80k+ OME shocks, so while I had it in the air I pulled a left rear just to check it out. I cycled it several times by hand to see if I noticed any binding or such on compression or rebound. It compressed smooth, and rebounded slow but I think as normal as any nitro shock would. Bushings looked good too.

bobthetj03 date=1418593740 said:
Does anyone still run the factory TJ fog lights? If so, has anyone put a 100w H3 bulb in them? Would melty goodness ensue?
I looked at the LED replacement bulbs , but I got brighter stronger lights for just a little more money. I would think the housings couldnt handle the heat from the 100W bulbs ?

The housing are glass, so I think the housings would handle the heat. Wiring on the other hand, not so sure. I didn't even consider an LED H3 bulb. Do they even make one? Maybe lady luck will be good to me tonight!

Dug up a few pics of the clutch job a while back.
New Napa clutch kit:
P1060496.JPG

Don't think I'd try this if I only had jack stands:
P1060502.JPG

All this work for this little bastard! >🙁
P1060504.JPG

Now that I have a bunch of pics on my gallery, I thought I'd post a few of my favorite poser shots from wheeling trips I've been on.  😀

Bit of a climb at our local OHV park.
Cow_Mt_17.JPG

Cow_Mt_28.JPG

My first, and last attempt at playing in mud holes! Mud is teh debil!
IMG_2167.JPG

Snow run up to High Glade Lookout.
IMG_2374.JPG

Trip to the beach with the pups and my ghetto luggage rack.
IMG_2975.JPG

A little fun at Boggs Mt range and my jeep buddy's AR.
IMG_4033.JPG

Pre-trailer camp adventure. As Beasley would say "Jeeperlie hillbillies"? Lol!
IMG_4242~0.JPG

Frankentrailer shake down camping trip.
IMG_4371.JPG

Lunch on the beach.
IMG_4388.JPG

Post a run and they will come! Cow Mt OHV run. Think we had 27 jeeps that day!
jeep17.JPG

Some more.....

Another fun climb at Cow Mt.
jeep41.JPG

The early days! Fun in the creek bed.
P1020752.JPG

P1020762.JPG

Another poser at Cow Mt.
P1030262.JPG

Little adventure up Fish Rock Rd.
P1030460.JPG

Spent all day detailing the heep.
P1040406.JPG

Another snow run up High Glade.
P1040781.JPG

Learning the ropes at Prairie City OHV park.
P1040824.JPG

Coming down a fun trail at Knoxville OHV area.
P1050139.JPG

A day on the bluffs.
P1050193.JPG

A jeep buddy and myself scouting out trails at High Lakes.
P1050336.JPG

Lunch on the beach at Pismo.
P1060512.JPG

Getting some spotting help on the Rubicon Trail.
P1060719.JPG

P1060740.JPG

P1060807.JPG

Frankentrailer's maiden voyage!
P1060869.JPG

Think that's it for now until I load more over to the gallery.  😉

I really like the fact that your TJ is simple.  It does what you need it to, it isn't over-complicated, and it's completely wheelable.  I'll be happy if I get to run half the trails you've been on.  Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

-Scuzz

Thanks! I like to keep things simple. Wish I could spend more $$$ on the heep, but disposable income is scarce for me. I've had a fun 9 years with my jeep trying to make up for lost time. Wanted a jeep ever since they came out with the TJ. I'm also lucky to live where I do and have lots of places to explore.  👍

My PIAA super silicone wiper refills showed up today. I bought these blades 5 years ago, so I think I got my $$$ worth. They just now started streaking a bit, so on with the new, hopefully for the next 5 years.

Attachments

• wiper blades.webp
    wiper blades.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 166

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine