Bty34 TJ Build

This brings us up to last fall (2014). I was hoping to make it out to Colorado with the JeepForum group, so I started prepping for that.

First off, sold off my MTRs

WP_20141018_003.webp

They sold a little quicker than I was expecting, so the jeep was left sitting for a week or so.

WP_20141018_002.jpg

I'm sure the UPS guy was thrilled to have these in the truck all day. I bought another wheel and extra tire to replace my 31" spare.

WP_20141023_001.jpg

WP_20141023_002.jpg

I need to cycle the suspension to get everything double checked, but my bumpstops were already set for 35s. It was close enough to mess around in the snow.

WP_20141212_002.jpg

I had a couple gouges on the corners of my Savvy bumper, so I added the corner reinforcements.

DSCN1991.JPG

Started drilling a bunch of holes in the tub.

DSCN1994.JPG

All the test fitting is done and armor is pulled back off.

DSCN1996.JPG

DSCN1997.JPG

At this point the plan is:
Savvy corner armor and rub rails
Exogate carrier and Trasharoo
Swap 3" Nth springs for 4" Currie
Remove AA SYE for JB SS SYE
Add side spiderwebshades for my daughter
Swap 4.10 gears for 4.88 Revolutions
12volt guy winch switch
New head unit with usb input

On a related note, I purchased a bunch of parts from Ricky at 4lowparts. I highly recommend dealing with him if you get a chance.

I installed a tailgate I picked up from Davey's Jeeps a few years back and hadn't gotten around to switching the lock yet. Finally switched it over. Picture of pre 03 lock on 03+ tailgate. The hole is a little bigger on the newer gates, but it seems to tighten up ok.

DSCN2010.JPG

Pulled my Advance Adapters SYE and installed a JB Conversions SS SYE

DSCN2011.JPG

DSCN2015.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

I need to order a new rear shaft and then start adjusting the axles for the new tires and springs.

I picked up a new trailer. Moved up to 7k axles and 16" wheels, old trailer was 6k and 15". Also went from a 18' to a 22' (both including a 2' dove). Should pull a little nicer if we do end up going to Colorado and allow me to bring the m416 if I want in the future.

DSCN2041.JPG

DSCN2042.JPG

Wire up an in cab winch control from 12voltguy. It was pretty straight forward. I just tied it into the wiring for the factory remote with some new connectors so they both work.

DSCN2051.JPG

DSCN2052.JPG

DSCN2055.JPG

Finished up installing a new Alpine head unit. At Rausch i didn't always get great reception on the XM, so I tended to listen to CDs, which is a little hard on them. The new unit has a USB in, so I'm planning on just loading up a flash drive.

DSCN2057.JPG

I got my new rear driveshaft from Tom Woods. I got it installed and the rear axle axle where it needs to be with the new springs. I just need to finish up the front now. I plan for 1" of compression on the Currie bumps and everything looks good. The bolt on the ram mount almost contacts the tie rod.

DSCN2059.JPG

DSCN2061.JPG

I painted the corner armor and got it installed. I still need to install the tailgate and exogate. I don't think the paint turned out too bad for using a Harbor Freight gun and doing it in a dirty shop. I did get one pretty good run in the clear in one spot and some orange peel, but I'm pretty happy with it for what it is.

DSCN2072.webp

DSCN2072.JPG

DSCN2071.JPG

At some point I'll like to switch to Savvy rockers so they match up with the corners a little better, but the ARBs will work for now.

Finished up installing the exogate. It was pretty straight forward. I had to slot some of the mounting holes slightly to get everything lined up, but I think that is due to my tub, not the exogate. Since I was switching my spare tire from a 31 x 10.50 on a stock rim to a 35 x 12.50 on a rim with 3.75" backspacing, I figured rather than using extra spacers on the rubber bumpers, I would cut down the tire mount. Started with measuring the difference from the edge of the tire to the mounting face.

DSCN2079.JPG

DSCN2080.JPG

I forgot to take any pictures along the way, but it is pretty straight forward. Cut an inch out of the center and welded the two halves back together. Also pressed some studs out of an old D35 shaft and added them to the carrier while I was at it. Seemed like an easy way to carry a couple extra lug nuts. Cut some spacers for the center mount brake light too. I used some plastic conduit that was laying around.

WP_20150614_005.jpg

WP_20150614_004.jpg

DSCN2082.JPG

DSCN2088.JPG

DSCN2090.JPG

DSCN2091.webp

Have a new farm truck, which means new tow rig. Was using a 2011 Chevy 2500 extended cab with the 6.0. The crew cab and the 6.4 hemi should be nice.

DSCN2083.webp

This brings us up to this summer. We've just been driving the Jeep around as much as possible, but nothing too exciting. My daughter has grown quite attached to it already. We had two trips planned to RC, but had to cancel at the last minute. We are planning on going in a couple of weeks. It will be the first time we have really been out since swapping the springs and tires.

4.88s are still sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. Planning on this winter. I got tight on time this spring and since the Colorado stuff didn't pan out, I figured they could wait. Otherwise no real plans currently.

I kick around the idea of doing some work on my old stock fenders and mounting them back up. I would like to have a stock inner again to gain some space over the TnT fenders. I also want something narrower in the front, like the tapered flare defenders.

Wow excellent work...I like the sleeper style look, it would take a trained eye to realize how much work had been done to this rig

G Beasley date=1443321085 said:
I had forgotten how much work you had done on your rig , glad to see your build thread over here.
Its funny how much I had forgotten about until looking through the pictures. I've been meaning to move it for a while, just keep getting distracted.

Thanks for all the kind words. It looks like more work when it is all condensed like that. When you spread it out over two years, its not so bad.

I did add a set of dually d2s on the winch guard last week that I stole off my commuter before selling it. Lets see if I can figure out how to post a picture from my phone. I also added a current pic with the trailer. Afterwards I moved the hitch so the trailer wasn't running uphill.

Attachments

• WP_20150802_001.webp
    WP_20150802_001.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 220
  • WP_20150913_011.webp
    WP_20150913_011.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 243
bty34 said:
Its funny how much I had forgotten about until looking through the pictures. I've been meaning to move it for a while, just keep getting distracted.
I felt the same way when I moved mine over. Thanks for bringing your thread over...

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine