Classic XJ and trying to keep it that way

Rainman77

Got my 2000 XJ Classic in June 2015 with 119,000 miles on it stock. I bought it in PA, but so far I haven't found any major rust! BAM!! The PO undercoated it, but I might redo the undercoat later sometime.

The current plan is to do a mild build geared towards Overland/Expo use. It is currently my Daily Driver, so driveability and comfort are priorities.

How she looked when I got her:

20151021_174146%201_zpsbpi630cv.jpg

How she currently sits:

20160702_200229_zpsw3xon0rf.jpg

Current To-Do List:
~Fix saggy headliner (getting worse by the minute)(update: headliner now tickles hair)
~Clear-coat the roof (PO repainted it, but never put a clear coat on it)

Current Modification List:
~CB in Overhead Console
~Refreshed the stock I6 4.0l Engine (SpeedPro Pistons & rings, Scat Forged Connecting Rods, Main and Rod bearings, Oil pump, full gasket sets, other misc parts)
~Old Man Emu 934 coils
~Old Man Emu 3" leaf springs
~Old Man Emu n66/67 shocks
~Rubicon Express 1600 trackbar

Possible Interior Modifications:
-Cb mounted in OHC
-Fix Fog lamp short (blows fuses like nobody's business)
-Airhorn (might get one super cheap) (update: horn acquired)
-Auxillary port for radio.
-small miscellaneous interior trim paint
-headliner (eventually)
-LED interior light conversion
-Cargo Box for rear cargo area

Here are some pictures of the interior:

Free seat covers and typical Jeep Walmart special steering wheel cover. I just didn't like the feel of the wheel. It felt a little too skinny. Anyway.

20151118_121403_zpsuqplthqa.jpg

This is the CB mounted in the Overhead Console. Write up on how to do this can be found HERE

20160109_174449_zpskinzxwkk.jpg

The jeep came with a Pioneer radio that fits almost exactly stock. It does a great job with sound quality and feeding the custom speakers the PO put in. I finally put an auxiliary jack in it.

20151118_121440_zpsnjnysfsg.jpg

DezertLJ said:
Clean XJ! I'd find a different spot for that CB so that the console remains up top if it works
I'm trying to put the cb in the OHC so that I can have it within easy reach, but still save space. The sunglasses holder is useless because you can't fit any normal sunglasses in it. I don't have a garage, so the garage door opener is also useless. The cb I'm going to put in fits in the gap those two make when you take it out. I found a thread at some time  that had a really good guide to doing it. 

Tonellin said:
Wow so clean, I would be tempted to just keep it close to stock.  You rarely seem them that nice anymore
Like the title says,  I'm trying to make it as classic as possible. I wanna make it as clean of a build as I can.

Definitely a clean XJ. 

You say the PO painted the roof but didn't clear it. Was it painted with single stage paint or just the base in a base clear setup?

jdunk813 said:
Definitely a clean XJ.

You say the PO painted the roof but didn't clear it. Was it painted with single stage paint or just the base in a base clear setup?
Honestly, I don't know enough about automotive paint to know. 2000s  had problems with the factory paint on the roof for some reason. A busy of mine had his paint peel and rust, so I'm guessing mine had the same problem at one point. Right now is a flat black finish. It seems to have held up pretty well so far. 

Rainman77 said:
Honestly, I don't know enough about automotive paint to know. 2000s  had problems with the factory paint on the roof for some reason. A busy of mine had his paint peel and rust, so I'm guessing mine had the same problem at one point. Right now is a flat black finish. It seems to have held up pretty well so far.
If it is flat black I'd assume it's just some rattle can. 
All I was getting at is single stage paint (no need for clear) has come a long way in the last 10 years. Basically a wet sand and buff is all that is needed to get a good shine. 

jdunk813 said:
If it is flat black I'd assume it's just some rattle can.
All I was getting at is single stage paint (no need for clear) has come a long way in the last 10 years. Basically a wet sand and buff is all that is needed to get a good shine.
So would you say to do a small test with some wet sandpaper and then polish it?

This is what I'd like to find when I decide to get an XJ. Super clean. IMO XJ's with a small lift and 31s look amazing. 

Tyvanwie said:
This is what I'd like to find when I decide to get an XJ. Super clean. IMO XJ's with a small lift and 31s look amazing.

Ditto. Look how Blurp turned out. Beasley did an awesome job making it drool worthy

Thanks y'all best of all Blurple is easy to drive. I just got back from 700miles round trip and it never missed a beat.

G Beasley said:
Thanks y'all best of all Blurple is easy to drive. I just got back from 700miles round trip and it never missed a beat.
I may have already asked,  but what is the setup on Blurple?

Rainman77 said:
I may have already asked,  but what is the setup on Blurple?
Up front are Savvy double adjustable control arms , OME coil and shocks. Out back is Savvy Dakar 2.5" leaf springs and OME shocks. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine