July 2017 TOTM: On Board Air!

98 tj sport said:
Brackets, the york, pressure switch, manifold and lines are the basics, I had a filter system on mine to catch any oil blow by with a drain in the bottom of it to return any oil back into the york. And then I had a 2.5 gallon tank mounted underneath the jeep That fed a quick connect at the front bumper and one in the back as well. This is the only pic I seem to have on my phone showing everything.

Mine. All the above plus a repurposed power steering cooler and cold air intake.

Attachments

• 20160814_180940.webp
    20160814_180940.webp
    32 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170121_113124.webp
    20170121_113124.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160912_181955.webp
    20160912_181955.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160825_104907.webp
    20160825_104907.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 53
jjvw said:
Mine. All the above plus a repurposed power steering cooler and cold air intake.
I had thought about putting a cooler on mine when I was looking into it because everyone said the air would be to hot for the rubber hose but I never have had any trouble out of it.

98 tj sport said:
I had thought about putting a cooler on mine when I was looking into it because everyone said the air would be to hot for the rubber hose but I never have had any trouble out of it.

I don't know if it accomplished anything on mine. When my dad build his York 25 years ago, he had heat problems cooking the pressure switch and melting rubber hoses. He added a similar cooler that solved it. I made mine that way mostly because that's how he did it. The filtered CAI was there. So why not?

Rucas said:
How long do you usually go between fill ups, and how much does it cost to fill?

For me, about 2 times a year. but I don't wheel much anymore. On the flip side though, I also use it to carbonate my homebrew, and push the beer in kegs I buy, so that is probably a wash. It costs about 25 bucks to fill my 10lb tank at my local homebrew shop.

Rucas said:
Who here has electric OBA?
I have an IAS 10# it is fast... but I wheel too much to make it cost effective!
When I go to arb's I will be adding a twin compressor. My buddy has one and it inflates his 37's from 10-35psi in around 8-10 mins.
IMG_0310.webp
It is roughly the same size as my tank but I won't have to worry about running out. I will miss the 4 minute air up time though.

I have some experience with electric OBA, but more from the street truck POV.  My brother has had a handful of trucks riding on airbags.

Most common setup was a Viair 450 style compressor, with a 5 gallon tank (this had to hold enough air to raise the truck from 0PSI). Would fill up the tank to 60 PSI in just a few minutes, and was not suitable to run excessive air tools, but could definitely fill tires. Nothing crazy with the wiring, power, switch, relay, comp, ground.

I am looking at going this route in the SD, and using it for a "support" system to keep it out of the trail rig, whenever that comes (dang adulting)

IMG_67561.JPG

There are valves to direct the air to the bags, not needed on our applications, but could be used to 'cut off' part of the system if there is an issue (I wouldnt go through that trouble) and then hoses running to each corner. This is a compact system with a big tank, probably 8-10 gallon, but they do make them as small as 2 gallon.

I have this masterflow compressor (pep Boy's I think) which is a Chinese knockoff of a Viair 450. It's the red thing mounted on a synergy mounting bracket on the master cylinder. Airs my tires up and fills every kid-related inflatable toy and bike tire know to man. It's never given me any trouble (knock) and it's wired right to the battery.
Now here's the red-ass part. I'm all about buying MADE IN AMERICA. When I researched this I came across some info stating this compressor's internals were IDENTICAL to the made-in-USA viair, right down to the cylinder, but with chinsey Chinese coupler and wiring. The Viair was $240 or so at the time...this was $60.  I just couldn't pay 4x the price, which makes me want to puke repeatedly. I hope we can close this import gap crap so I can get back to feeling good about myself again.
It works just fine. That makes my ass itch.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    43 KB · Views: 48
jrdchiropractic said:
I have this masterflow compressor (pep Boy's I think) which is a Chinese knockoff of a Viair 450. It's the red thing mounted on a synergy mounting bracket on the master cylinder. Airs my tires up and fills every kid-related inflatable toy and bike tire know to man. It's never given me any trouble (knock) and it's wired right to the battery.
Now here's the red-ass part. I'm all about buying MADE IN AMERICA. When I researched this I came across some info stating this compressor's internals were IDENTICAL to the made-in-USA viair, right down to the cylinder, but with chinsey Chinese coupler and wiring. The Viair was $240 or so at the time...this was $60.  I just couldn't pay 4x the price, which makes me want to puke repeatedly. I hope we can close this import gap crap so I can get back to feeling good about myself again.
It works just fine. That makes my ass itch.
How fast is it?

Bumping an old thread here. I sold the IAS CO2 set up with the Jeep, and am now looking into OBA for the 4R.  I currently have the Smittybilt compressor, and while it works ok, it's bulky. I'm planning on getting an ARB compressor to mount in the engine bay and be out of the way. The 4R is currently running 31s, and will never see larger than 33s. I am planning on towing an offroad teardrop with same size tires, so I will need the capability to air six 33" tires from 15-35 PSI in one sitting. Given the price point of $250 for the single, and $525 for the twin compressor, which would you buy?

CKMA12
Single Motor

3.08 CFM (no load at 0PSI)

2.34 CFM  (under load at 29PSI)

50%, 30/30  Duty cycle

35? Tire ? 3:00 Min.
--------------------------------

CKMTA12

Twin Motor

6.16 CFM (no load at 0PSI)

6.16 CFM  (under load at 29PSI)

100%, 60/0 Duty cyle

35? Tire ? 1:00 Min.

I'll just put this right up front: any OBA claiming it can fill a 35 in 3 mins is horse shit. That aside, go double or buy back the CO2 IMO. The reality is a single pump will put you upwards of 30 mins filling a set of 32 inch tires. Probably not much less for a set of 31s. The duty cycle is a killer.

I agree the CO2 is the fastest, but the tank is too bulky. I found a video where they air up a 35" tire from 15-32 psi. The single took  2:10 per tire. The dual took 1:14 per tire. CO2 took :33. There are several other videos that support the 1-1:45 for the dual, and 2-3min for single. Meaning when filling six tires, the single will take at most 12 minutes longer than the dual. The single should have a max fill time of ~20 minutes, and it has a 30 minute duty cycle. Another video using a 4-way inflator, the single took 7:08 to fill four tires and the dual took 3:45 to fill four 35" from 15-30psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmk4YUlnifM&ab_channel=TrailRecon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bxfNs8NrGQ&ab_channel=EricCantin

Sorry, I'm going to sound like someone else, lol. First, anyone doing serious wheeling deflates well below 15 psi. I go 12, and among the groups I frequent it's rather conservative. On the other end, 32 will end with a flashing dash light annoying enough to spend the other 15 mins finishing them off. The missing 7 or 8 lbs may not sound like much but it will add to the time substantially.

Then.....the math they do not include. Unpacking, inflating, waiting on the duty cycle for the single, stowing it all away again. The hose end will be HOT and you'll be waiting.

It's less advocating the CO2 as much as saying go with the double, and calling BS on their time. I have and use a tank. It will NOT inflate a 33 as fast as they claim the double will fill a 35, unless I remove the valve stem. There is some information missing from their production. In the wild no way their numbers are realistic. My only point there is discouraging going on those expectations. I'm not hating OBA. It's a sweet setup!

Anyway I digress. IMO go with the double, and know you'll be hovering over the tire longer than indicated here. 😉

I?d go the double. Contemplating it since when I swamp my stroker from the YJ into the buggy, I won?t be able to keep the York OBA setup that?s on the stroker. It was fast, no tank used at all. I?d air up from 5 to 20 psi in no time.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine