July 2017 TOTM: On Board Air!

I'm sort of asking a loaded question. I already have a NIB single compressor. If I were to sell it to buy the dual, the dual would cost me about $350 more than the single. As far as wheeling goes, the 4Runner has done most of the trails (except Poughkeepsie) in Ouray, a few slick rock trails in Moab, and in addition to that I am setting it up for BDRs. It's not crawling like my TJ was (5-8psi on beadlocks), so 15ish PSI is the lowest it will see. I generally run around 35 PSI in the 4Runner, but will have to play with that once the camper gets hooked up.

As far as unpacking/re-packing that will just consist of the 25' air hose. As long as I can get all tires filled in under the 30 minute duty cycle, there won't be any additional waiting on the single.

I've never used an ARB, so this is all just assumptions. But how can you call BS with videos showing them air up in the aforementioned times? Does the time to fill increase after each tire? After using the SB compressor, I know what you mean by HOT fittings.

Still researching, but I have two options. Try my single ARB, don't like it, sell it for a little less and buy a twin (may need new mount bracket). Or just straight up sell the single NIB for more, and pay the extra $350 for the dual.

If anyone is in the market, NR had a deal last week for a dual compressor w/ free air hose kit and digital inflator if you call and ask.

Texas TJ said:
But how can you call BS with videos showing them air up in the aforementioned times?

Does the time to fill increase after each tire?

Because I've seen literally hundreds of tires filled.

Air compression creates heat. Just as occurs with an engine, heating decreases pumping efficiency. So yes, subsequent fills are slower. It also spits heat downstream toward the fittings you'll want to disco. Enough to cause burns.

Ok, even the remaining three pounds still tack significant time to the equation. Notice the flow differential at pressure on the single.

Now that the single ARB is installed, I'm happy to report with my results. Airing four 31.5x10.5r17" tires from 15-35psi.

First: 1:52.95
Second: 2:05.15
Third: 2:08.50
Fourth: 2:17.61
Total: 8:24.21
Average: 2:06.50

Texas TJ said:
Now that the single ARB is installed, I'm happy to report with my results. Airing four 31.5x10.5r17" tires from 15-35psi.

That is shockingly quick , not far behind my Co2!

Texas TJ said:

Good on you!  If I had to do it over again I would get two singles vs. the dual.  I have an IAS co2 setup and wheel too much/ don?t trust it to be full.  I can air my 35?s from 8-26psi in around 8 minutes with the dual.  My buddy has a single and is about 1 minute slower for his 33?s 15-30psi. 
The hidden cost on the dual is you have to buy the air log dealio in order to run lockers AND an air source that adds another~$160.00 plus the air up kit ~$45.00 where the single ARB compressors are air chuck ready and give you redundancy if one shits the bed. 
I?m happy with my dual ARB, however would have considered two singles if I had known better!

I did buy a Smitty Built 5.6cfm compressor for a valentines gift for my wife?s 4Runner?. I have yet to use it, but it is bulky.  The dual ARB is also a chunk and finding mounting options could be difficult, it?s kinda Millenium Falcon shaped, plus the air log to run your air fittings and solenoids to package!

Well after about a year and a half and airing up a set of 4 tires, twice, my ARB single compressor stopped working. Tried replacing the wiring harness, no dice. Opened up the compressor and it was all banged up inside.

I can buy a replacement motor deal for ~$173. A new single compressor runs about $340. Or I can fix it, then sell it for $230-260.

A new dual ARB compressor is about $525, or an UpDown dual compressor is $383.

I’m a little hesitant to buy another ARB after the premature failure, but I don’t want a big compressor that takes up cargo space.

Last edited:
Well after about a year and a half and airing up a set of 4 tires, twice, my ARB single compressor stopped working. Tried replacing the wiring harness, no dice. Opened up the compressor and it was all banged up inside.

I can buy a replacement motor deal for ~$173. A new single compressor runs about $340. Or I can fix it, then sell it for $230-260.

A new dual ARB compressor is about $525, or an UpDown dual compressor is $383.

I’m a little hesitant to buy another ARB after the premature failure, but I don’t want a big compressor that takes up cargo space.
Before I did anything I think I'd let ARB know how unhappy I was, and how hesitant I was to purchase another compressor from them.

That’s that retired life. I’m too tired to go back and forth with them. I bought it as new old stock from a company going out of business. It’s brand new, but manufacturer date is 2016, so, far from the warranty period.

The UpDown is actually EGOI, sold by Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS). I know they don’t manufacture them, but I’m happy with their 270 awning and shower tent. Plus they offer a 4 year warranty.

I've had a VIAR portable compressor for a few years now. The plastic hose finally popped, but other than that it works really well. It does take up a bit of space, but nothing crazy.

air.webp

Yea I tried the Smittybilt version of that. Little cumbersome for me the way I load up the car on road trips. I love my IAS CO2, but it would be too big for a non dedicated wheeler.

Installed the EGOI twin compressor sold by OVS. The majority of the parts seem near identical to that of the ARB. Footprint has the same mounting holes, so I was able to use the same SLEE bracket from the single to mount the twin. This wiring harness didn’t include wiring for lockers, two reds and one black wire. Install was less than 30 minutes.

Did the same 15-35 PSI test on 31” tires.
First: 1:23.72 (I did a lot of off/on to check where the pressure was at)
Second: 1:14.98
Third: 1:16.48
Fourth: 1:15.09
Total: 5:10.27
Average: 1:27.5

So the dual compressor will shave off about 3 minutes to do all 4. Hardly a reason to upgrade from single to dual, or spend the extra $$ in the first place if you’re not running air lockers. I only did so because my ARB single needed the motor replaced. This will be better as I plan to air down the trailer tires as well, so six 31” tires.

Attachments

• IMG_8408.webp
    IMG_8408.webp
    365.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8410.webp
    IMG_8410.webp
    333.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8414.webp
    IMG_8414.webp
    333.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8422.webp
    IMG_8422.webp