Moabrubi's Rubicon

Moabrubi

Thought I'd put my TJ build on here as well.  😉  I've had a build on JF for a while so I'll just post a few pics from there then start from current.

Here she is, 05 Rubi, 6speed, pretty standard TJ at the moment.  This pictures from March '14 so it's missing a few things.

AC2 by Moabrubi, on Flickr

And the specs (Not everything but it's close)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6spd manual
35/12.50/15 MTR/K
15" Trailready Beadlocks
Currie Antirock
Rokmen Mercenary front bumper
Rokmen steering box skid
Rokmen TT
Warn 9.5TI with synthetic line
KC Daylighters 130w
Garvin Wilderness tire carrier
Savvy Ultimate steering
Line-X Fenders and mirrors
Dynatrac front diff cover
Ruffstuff rear diff cover
Midland 75-822 CB
3' firestik
Super ultra custom backup lights
Banks catback
Black Magic brake pads with Centric Premium rotors
Black Magic Delrin door bushings
Comet Tri Band Antenna with Kenwood TH-F6A
Polk DB521 speakers with Nalin MFG dash brackets
Savvy 1.25" Body Lift
Savvy 1" Motor Mount Lift
Novak Shifter
Savvy Step Rock Sliders
Savvy gas tank skid
Powertank 10# with rollbar clamps
Savvy Aluminum Adjustable CA's
Black magic brakes JJ washers
Currie 4" Springs
Fox 2.0
Currie TJJ Front Trackbar
Currie rear trackbar with housing bracket
Currie Bumpstops F/R
Goodridge Extended Brakelines
JJ housing kit
Currie mini skids
Daystar 3/8" spring isolators
Currie extended rear sway bar links
Ten Factory front chromoly axleshafts
G2 rear chromoly axleshafts
Warn 2.5CI suckdown winch mounted on coil bucket
Rokmen TT
Tom Woods 1310 CV driveshaft
Black Magic Brakes tie rod flip and raised sway bar brackets
Savvy Corner Armor
Savvy Tub Rails

Here's a few pics from the past few years in no particular order. There's a million I could show you but this will have to do  🙂

1674426d1414370655t-moabrubis-rubicon-1414370652822.jpg

Stoddardmng3 by Moabrubi, on Flickr

PVD14-5 by Moabrubi, on Flickr

PVD14-4 by Moabrubi, on Flickr

DSC_5520 by Moabrubi, on Flickr

Very nice build! I love the fact that you are still running stock flares.  👍  Ever thought about painting the trailer body color?

Thanks guys.

357transam date=1415905422 said:
Very nice build! I love the fact that you are still running stock flares. 👍 Ever thought about painting the trailer body color?

I like the stock flares since they are so durable and rip off cleanly when you get a little too close. I would like to eventually build some tube fenders for the front since the fenders tweaked a little... Or maybe some of those no flare PSC Defenders  [drool]

I did think about matching the trailer but it would have been alot more work. It's not really paint, I Line-Xed the whole trailer then rolled Aspart-X over it ( It's a floor coating). The color you see is a standard tan. Custom colors require mixing dyes and all that fun stuff so I went with the easy route.

After seeing my buddys 50" lightbar light up the night at Panamint Valley Days I had to have one. I just happened to get this " Back to the future" style lightbar bracket from the raffle so I ordered up a 50" LED bar off Amazon.

I'm just going to cut the tube off and go from there building a bracket.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415917107317.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1415917107317.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 783
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415917114799.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1415917114799.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 790
Moabrubi date=1415912096 said:
I did think about matching the trailer but it would have been alot more work. It's not really paint, I Line-Xed the whole trailer then rolled Aspart-X over it ( It's a floor coating). The color you see is a standard tan. Custom colors require mixing dyes and all that fun stuff so I went with the easy route.

Why not color match the Jeep to the trailer then...  [laugh]

The 32s on the trailer were a bit old so I found 2  pretty much news BFG M/T 35s.  Figured it's better to run the same size as the Jeep.  Fills the wheelwell up nicely and the tread pattern looks sweet.

The trailer is all wired and towing great behind the truck. Got it up to freeway speed and it tracks fantastic. The shocks really help keep it from bouncing on bumps. Next I need to wire up the Jeep for the brake controller as well as the battery, inverter and other misc stuff in the trailer.

First trip is hopefully 3 days on the Mojave Rd in December. I really should regear the Jeep..!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416691025558.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1416691025558.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 421
The tires change the look a lot, I like it !

index.php

Did you see this brake setup I found? It allows for a manual e brake on the trailer so we wont need chocks. I have the contact info saved if your interested.

bigsnafu said:
That is sweet!

I hope I am a bad influence to you  😀
G Beasley date=1416712061 said:
The tires change the look a lot, I like it !

Did you see this brake setup I found? It allows for a manual e brake on the trailer so we wont need chocks. I have the contact info saved if your interested.

Yea it definitely looks beefier with the 35s and more aggressive tread pattern. I really like it.

That's neat! I wish I had seen that before I built my axle. I'm not sure I want to change out my brand new brakes right now  🙁  But I would love to get that contact info for the future if I decide I get tired of chocks.

How are you going to adapt a handle on yours? I'll be interested to see that. On mine I was going to put a switch that runs off the trailer battery so I can just lock the brakes if needed on the trail. Obviously not for long term storage though.

Moabrubi date=1416712887 said:
That's neat! I wish I had seen that before I built my axle. I'm not sure I want to change out my brand new brakes right now  🙁  But I would love to get that contact info for the future if I decide I get tired of chocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Trailer-Brake-WITH-PARKING-Brake-10x2-25-Manual-Cable-Hand-3500-Axle-/291036783188
Heres the link for future reference.

Moabrubi date=1416712887 said:
How are you going to adapt a handle on yours? I'll be interested to see that. On mine I was going to put a switch that runs off the trailer battery so I can just lock the brakes if needed on the trail. Obviously not for long term storage though.

I plan on mounting a TJ handle under the tongue that will take a single cable back to the edge of the tub that will then split and go to the two brakes using TJ e brake cables. The thing I havent figured out is how to lock the handle for security purposes . I dont think it will be too bad to figure out once I have all the parts here.

G Beasley date=1416713870 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Trailer-Brake-WITH-PARKING-Brake-10x2-25-Manual-Cable-Hand-3500-Axle-/291036783188
Heres the link for future reference.

I plan on mounting a TJ handle under the tongue that will take a single cable back to the edge of the tub that will then split and go to the two brakes using TJ e brake cables. The thing I havent figured out is how to lock the handle for security purposes . I dont think it will be too bad to figure out once I have all the parts here.

Cool, I will keep that link.

Makes sense, I'll wait for you to do it first  😉 . As far as security goes, Honestly I think the most "anti-theft" part of these trailers is the fact that I don't know many thieves who have a Jscherb hitch receiver to tow it away. Guess it wouldn't stop them from loading it on a car hauler though.

Moabrubi date=1416716147 said:
Cool, I will keep that link.

Makes sense, I'll wait for you to do it first  😉 . As far as security goes, Honestly I think the most "anti-theft" part of these trailers is the fact that I don't know many thieves who have a Jscherb hitch receiver to tow it away. Guess it wouldn't stop them from loading it on a car hauler though.
A locking e brake coupled with (see what I did there)  😀  with a three axis hitch should discourage most dishonest folks .

A message to Mr. Beasley (and anyone else with similar setups)

As much as it pains my wallet I'm going to pay to get my regear done this week. The 4.10's just ain't cutting it anymore. I wanted to learn myself but I got too many projects so it will have to wait for the future. So how's your long term review of 5.13s? I'm leaning hard towards 4.88's just so it's a little more road friendly when driving to trails (no trailer in this situation)

I'm thinking 4.88's should be deep enough for wheeling too. 

P.S. I know I've asked before, but I just want to be 100% sure I get this right  😀

I went with 5.13's to help when towing the trailer , though I believe the 4.88's would be fine at this point. The 5.13's limit your top speed to mid 60's and your rpms are going to be just below 3000 , which generates more heat. I think the scoop I made took care of the heat , but I wont know for sure til I am loaded up and towing in the Summer.

Long story short , I should have gone with 4.88's.

G Beasley date=1417317361 said:
I went with 5.13's to help when towing the trailer , though I believe the 4.88's would be fine at this point. The 5.13's limit your top speed to mid 60's and your rpms are going to be just below 3000 , which generates more heat. I think the scoop I made took care of the heat , but I wont know for sure til I am loaded up and towing in the Summer.

Long story short , I should have gone with 4.88's.

Thanks, I think I'm sold on the idea of just 4.88s. Now if I put a doubler I could have everything I need for offroad gearing too.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine