Srfnfly227's LJ Rubicon

Srfnfly227

Hey everybody, welcome to the build of my 2006 Unlimited Rubicon. My name is Lee and I'm in Virginia Beach. I'm going to do my best to update this first post whenever a new part is installed. I'll also try to keep an up to date photo on this page. I've got a lots of plans for the Jeep that I plan to get to over the Winter, but I'll start this thread from the beginning.

As the Jeep currently sits:

- Savvy 3" suspension lift (Installed July 23-24, 2011)
- Rancho Adjustable Shocks (Installed July 23-24, 2011)
- Currie Steering (Installed July 24, 2011)
- Currie JJ Front Upper Housing (Installed driver side July 24, 2011, Passenger side welded July 27, 2011)
- 255/85R16 Toyo MT (Installed July 27, 2011)
- Tom Woods Driveshaft (Installed July 27, 2011)
- SpeedoHealer from Blue Monkey Motorsports (Installed August 5, 2011)
- Savvy BL/MML (Installed August 12,2011)
- Novak Cable Shifter (Installed August 22, 2011)
- Savvy UnderArmor (Installed August 22, 2011)
- Spidertrax Wheel Spacers (Installed September 2011)
- Uniden Pro510XL CB Radio (Installed September 2011)
- Firestik II 4ft Antenna (Installed September 2011)
- Centric Brake Rotors with BlackMagic/Centric Pads (Installed Spring 2013)
- Alpine Head Unit (Installed January 2013)
- Polk Audio 5.25" speakers with separate tweeters (Installed January 2013)

Story starts in November 2006 when I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new Jeep. I had been thinking about it for a few months and when I saw a JK in person, I decided to buy an LJ before they were all gone. I was living in Philadelphia at the time and my only requirements were it had to be an LJ, manual transmission, with a hard top. I couldn't find any up North so I drove down to Virginia Beach and bought one for a steal. They only had Rubicon models left and I didn't know what I was truly getting, but I'm definitely happy it worked out the way it did.

So as a happy new Jeep owner, I drove back to Philadelphia with every intention of doing some research and getting her lifted.  Just about the time when I was going to pull the trigger on a lift, I decided it was time to take a new job.  Good news was that I was moving back to Virginia Beach after 7 years of being away.  Bad news was that I was taking a job that started me at a little less than 50% the pay that I was making before.  Unfortunately, this put the Jeep mods on hold.  Of course I was having fun with it her anyway so all was good.  The family of a good friend of mine owned a farm out in central Virginia and we would go out every few months to have some fun on the trails.  This left lots of clean up, but it was so worth it.

Me enjoying the weekend
27728_1263103014541_1138696121_30618125_3953420_n.jpg

The after fun picture.  I hate mud
156392_783530541535_18402604_42750723_8141813_n.jpg

Other than the visits to the farm, my Jeep was simply my daily driver.  I wasn't exactly using the Rubicon for what it was truly capable of, but I didn't care.  I was perfectly happy driving around with the top down and and the doors off whenever the weather was good.  It was my beach Jeep and that long wheelbase no longer looked funny to me.  Especially with my 9 foot surfboard strapped to the rollcage.

Going surfing
IMG_1364.jpg

Not my first picture of her, but just about the only one I have with the hard top on
62c401a0.jpg

Interior shot. Jeep calls it Khaki.
DSC_0700.jpg

My parents driveway on a nice beach day:
IMAG0172.jpg

In the Spring of 2009, I finally decided to come up with a hard top lift.  The LJ hard top is entirely too heavy.  Lucky for me, my parents offered up their garage to be my storage spot.  The ceiling is somewhere between 12-14 feet high so the top fits above the garage door.  It takes a little time since I have to take down the door opener, but I only use the lift twice a year.  Once in the fall to get the hard top up there, and once in the spring to get it back down.

Nice and high:
164.jpg

90 degree PVC to help the rope make the turn:
166.jpg

Good view of the routing of the ropes:
165.jpg

That pretty much takes me up to September of 2009 when I went on my first organized event.  My brother and I tailed each other to Oak Ridge Estate for the 2009 Virginia Annual Four Wheel Drive Association Trail Ride and Poker Run.  He had been several years in a row, but I had always been working that weekend.  I was insanely nervous, but had a blast.  Rocks are a completely different experience and I'm hooked.

It ended up being 200+ vehicles ready for some fun
009.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Me going up CJ5
DSC03464.jpg

A series at Z-Ditch
Dropping in:
DSC03456.jpg

Had to engage the lockers to get around the bottom corner.  Stupid long wheelbase:
DSC03457.jpg

Coming out.  I was told that tire was about 6 inches off the ground:
DSC03460.jpg

My brother's YJ
DSC03471.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

Over the next year, I went to the farm a few times to play in the mud, but that was about it for offroading.  I love living at the beach, but it leaves me with a minimum of a 3 hour drive to get to any serious wheeling.  Even longer to get to Uwharrie or Rausch Creek so I'm lucky to get offroad more than 4 times a year.  The 2010 Virginia annual at Oak Ridge was the next major event for me.  My best friend had so much fun just riding along with me and my brother the year before that he built up his Dodge Raider (small lift, 33s, lockers) and joined us in 2010.  My girlfriend at the time (fiance now) joined in my Jeep and my sister in law came with my brother.  It was actually a lot of fun having the girls come with us.  

Stock flex:
IMG_1957.jpg

After the stock Liberty made it through, I couldn't exactly go around:
IMG_1940.jpg

Playing around on Turtle Rock:
IMG_1908.jpg

The Raider had some locker problems on the first day:
IMG_0109.jpg

And now my oops moment.  I was overly concerned with my passenger side hugging the tree and forgot to watch the driver side tire.  It slipped in.  Surprisingly though, I had exactly zero damage from this.  Not even a scratch on the flare: 
IMG_20100917_165803.jpg

I had to wait as this became picture time for the whole group:
IMG_1934.jpg

And I was winched out:
IMG_20100917_170351.jpg

The Raider on Turtle Rock:
IMG_0142.jpg

Some random pictures of progress that was made over the years.

The Currie JJ Front Upper Housing:
cae8b4f4.jpg

The UnderArmor doesn't come with a provision for locker pumps, so I had Starr Motors make a very simple bracket.  The pumps are almost in the stock location so there was no modification needed to hoses, wires, etc.
e7ccfb09.jpg

My brother and I made this CB antenna mount.  It is a piece of aluminum cut down to fit behind the spare tire and bolted right to the stock spare tire carrier.  I got a CB shop to tune it and got really good numbers.  In fact, the owner of the shop was pretty impressed.
708add1e.jpg

G Beasley date=1417900862 said:
Glad to see your build up over here , love the pic of you on your side at Oak Ridge.

Glad to be here. That's always been one of my favorite pics also. Probably only because there was no damage though.

mattamd_xp date=1417900163 said:

Very nice cleanly done rig!

Thank you much. There's a lot more to come, so stay tuned.

cescuzzy date=1417993959 said:
I like, can't wait to see where this one's headed.

[popcorn]

-Scuzz

Jeep is getting a complete rework over the winter and early spring. I've put in a few orders recently, but here's the screen cap from my Poly Performance order from Cyber Monday. 

Srfnfly227 date=1418004769 said:
Jeep is getting a complete rework over the winter and early spring. I've put in a few orders recently, but here's the screen cap from my Poly Performance order from Cyber Monday.

Thats a heck of a parts list ... 😱

G Beasley date=1418014483 said:
Thats a heck of a parts list ... 😱

Yeah it is. I went a little overboard on the weekend sales. I ordered everything above from Poly and DOM and some threaded bungs from Ruffstuff. Everything is scheduled to get here this week. I also ordered 4, 11" travel Fox Remote Reservoir shocks from Wayne at Alltech. He matched Poly's sale price and those will be my Christmas present from my wife  🙂  Wayne was hoping to get the shocks built and tuned last week so hopefully those will be on the way soon.

Well since I posted about Wheelin 4 Hope in the Trips section, I thought I should put up some more photos of Oak Ridge. These were taken on my first trip out after the first build up.

Z Ditch Sequence

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

First time I've gone Down CJ5

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

The normal direction.  Back up CJ5

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

These really show off the benefits of the UA.  I never even touched the skid on this one.  Just the frame and control arm mounts.
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

Here are 2 videos of Oak Ridge put together by my buddy Steve. He goes by JeepinHokie on JF.

First is from the trip that the pictures in my last post were from. http://vimeo.com/29124812

Second is a video from Wheelin 4 Hope 2012. This trip was also my bachelor party. http://vimeo.com/41888126

badmonkey date=1418050762 said:
Nice pix!  This looks like it could be slickery especially with wet shoes:

That one is named CJ-5. It's a fun trail that pretty much requires at least one locker once it's wet. I've seen a few people get up it open, but there's a lot of tire spinning involved. I hear there have been a few roll overs over the years. I believe the story about the name is that a CJ-5 was either the first one to make it up without winching or was the first one to roll down.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine